Window Scratches [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Window Scratches

Chaotic Reality
03-25-2003, 12:10 PM
I just went to the dealership where the car originally came from and asked if they'd replace my two front windows under warrenty because they're all scratched up, he ended up telling me that since I'm the second owner that they won't replace them under warrenty. I thought I had seen someone get theirs replaced without any problems. There's only about 21k miles on the car and I have an extended warrenty after the factory warrenty. I have an appointment to get my windows tinted on Friday and was hoping to get these fixed by then but it's not looking that way. :/

-Jon

GTon9teens
03-25-2003, 01:06 PM
you gotta remember, the dealership are out to tax you as much as they can, and will try to whereever they car,
my dealership told me they wanted $1,800 for the ram air hood painted
they also charged me $100 to tell me that my headlights were both burnt out (long story about a shop that messeed up my car) then i had to go get some new ones and put them in

now i know someone that works there, he said he could send my car in as a PPG redo (all new paint) for a 30 pack
hah

koolZ71
03-25-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Chaotic Reality
I just went to the dealership where the car originally came from and asked if they'd replace my two front windows under warrenty because they're all scratched up, he ended up telling me that since I'm the second owner that they won't replace them under warrenty. I thought I had seen someone get theirs replaced without any problems. There's only about 21k miles on the car and I have an extended warrenty after the factory warrenty. I have an appointment to get my windows tinted on Friday and was hoping to get these fixed by then but it's not looking that way. :/

-Jon

if ur cars under warranty its under warranty..no matter if ur the 15th owner....theres a TBS so search for window scratch...take it to the dealer show them the TBS and tell them u want ur windows fixed under warranty or u will call GM cares cause they are denying u, ur waranty coverage

'01GTgirl
03-25-2003, 02:05 PM
the dealer is payin for mine, as well as retint on the front two, as soon as my lazy arse takes it there...i can't bear to be without my car for a day or two tho....

Chaotic Reality
03-25-2003, 03:57 PM
Anyone have a customer care phone number? I went back in there and he said he didn't need to the TSB, even though I'm the 2nd owner they aren't going to replace the glass even if it's under warrenty. I said fine, and that I want to talk to someone else, someone higher up, or the owner, and he said I'm not going to talk to anyone else and then told me to get in my car and leave or they were going to call the cops. :) So I'd like to talk to someone about this... any help is appreciated.

-Jon

Chaotic Reality
03-25-2003, 04:30 PM
Okay I just spoke with Pontiac's customer service, and the CS rep called the dealership and they said that they inspected my windows and said it was from rocks and whatever, and that I'm basically SOL and it's out of GM's hands, and TSB's are no more than instructions to give to the dealership to fix the problem and is it in no way a recall or whatever. Why are other dealership's fixing these problems then?

-Jon

Chaotic Reality
03-25-2003, 06:55 PM
I went to a different dealership and the dude was cool as hell and was like 'yeah, this type of thing happens all the time' etc. He was going to order the parts and give me a call early next week to get it installed, I'm just going to get all the windows except the front two tinted on Friday, then get them done when I get the new glass installed. It's time to bust out the dictionary and write a letter to BBB. =x

-Jon

JokerGT
03-27-2003, 10:42 PM
i just had my front windows replaced becasue of the scratching. getting them to replace the windows, that was easy. i just told them about the TSB and he looked at it and said no prob.

after that it was hell. i had to wait 2 months to get it done.:rage: they said that they were waiting on the passsenger side window to come in. (back order). well the first one got there and it was broken so i had to wait even longer. not to mention my car sat there for a week and a half. and they didn't even know that it was still there.

as far as tint, i had to pay to get it redone. they (pontiac CS) said that, since the tint was an aftermarket item, and it COULD have caused the problem, they were not liable for the tint.

now i have to get my door seal fixed due to the leaking issue that GA's have.

anywya, good luck and hope that everything goes smoothly

Vintalage
03-28-2003, 10:24 PM
Yeah, that dealer needs an ass whoopin from the BBB. I say while that is going through, give pontiac customer service a call again and explain how you took it to another dealership and without question they replaced your windows. Man, that dealership service area sounds bad.

Blackgt1
03-29-2003, 04:11 PM
I just had both sides replaced under warantee... I noticed scratches in my front tint, and told them about the TSB, no problem. But AFTER the work was done, they told me that if they would have noticed before that the scratches were on the INSIDE of the window, they wouldn't have done it. They still did it under warantee because it was too late, but said that it's all my tints fault. And that the TSB only adresses the scratching of the outside, anyone know? They also told me that theres nothing they can do to stop the tint from being scratched, that it'll probably keep happening...

Chaotic Reality
03-29-2003, 05:04 PM
My scratches are on the outside.

-Jon

shorty
03-30-2003, 11:45 PM
I'm looking into buying an 03. I have my windows tinted on my 02 and they are scratched a little. Same spots on both windows. It's not a big deal now but down the road whoever has the car may have some bigger scratches. Anyways, has the problem been corrected on the newer cars yet? When they replace the windows do they widen the gap? Thanks for the help

Vintalage
03-31-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Chaotic Reality
My scratches are on the outside.

-Jon

Damn, at first I thought I didn't fall under the window scratching/TSB problem but then I remembered we have the same car. Doh!

How visible are the scratches?

Chaotic Reality
04-04-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Vintalage
Damn, at first I thought I didn't fall under the window scratching/TSB problem but then I remembered we have the same car. Doh!

How visible are the scratches?

The driver side was really bad, the passenger side wasn't as bad, but it needed replaced too. I have all my windows except the two front done, and the tint would have made the scratches more obvious/worse, so I wanted them replaced...just got them done today, and am getting them tinted in the morning. :)

-Jon

fantetti
04-29-2003, 08:51 AM
just curious if anyone out there with an 03 has this window scratching. i have it both on the inside and outside of the driver side and on the inside of the passenger side.

'01GTgirl
04-29-2003, 01:42 PM
well, i finally took mine to get replaced. they needed to keep the car overnight, because the felt lining had to be ordered. they didn't pay for the tint (which i was originally told they would)...as a matter of fact, they tried blaming the tint on the window scratches since it was inside...gay

oh well, hopefully it won't happen again.

ChadGT
05-01-2003, 05:48 AM
just took our car to the dealer yesterday for the window scratches and ratcheting noises when going up and down. i attached a copy of the tsb so they would know what to do :) anyway, they had to order parts, so the car will going back at some point, but it will be fixed.

chad

Chaotic Reality
05-02-2003, 07:52 PM
The dealership actually CAME to my house and changed the windows..how's that for convenience? Good to know that there are still good dealers out there after dealing with the asses at Grand auto.

-Jon

gagt2k3
05-15-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by fantetti
just curious if anyone out there with an 03 has this window scratching. i have it both on the inside and outside of the driver side and on the inside of the passenger side.

Hey, I have it on my '03 too, I just noticed the scratches in the drivers side and rear passenger side door. I noticed them b/c my tint it scratched.... if it gets any worse I will try to get it replaced.

fantetti
05-15-2003, 10:49 PM
ya its crap eh? let me know if you get it replaced.. the scratches on my tint is pretty bad, its about a 1/4 inch thick and goes from the top of the window to the bottom.. and is visible and feelable..

rbcastro4
05-16-2003, 08:47 AM
I have had the same problem with scratches. I do not have any tint so that can't be the issue, I had the drivers door replaced and it is scratching again, now the pass side is also scratched too. One dealer told me that the glass is not covered by warranty, but another replaced it with no questions. I am not sure what the deal is with that, but from what I was told there is an issue with the gap between some piece and the glass and it causes rocks and small particles to get caught, so when you put your windows up and down they end up scratching.

cmoore
05-16-2003, 08:56 AM
After reading this I went and took a look at my 2K2 GAGT and also noticed the beginning of some scratches running vertically across the window. They are so faint that you can hardly notice them. Something to keep an eye on.

Treviathon
05-16-2003, 10:52 AM
Mine are going to be replaced by the dealer no questions asked, ALL of my windows are scratching, even the back ones.

Trev

Ludacrisvp
05-24-2003, 08:40 PM
i am having the same problem with my 99 GAGT on both driver and pass. windows. i spoke to the service manager at miller chevrolet in rogers and he said he had never heard of the TSB telling about the window being scratched on this model car... it ****ed me off... there are about a dozen 1-2" long scratches on the driver's side and the same on the passenger side.

Mike Jung
05-24-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Ludacrisvp
...he said he had never heard of the TSB telling about the window being scratched on this model car...
Door Glass Scratches (Widen Door Metal Inner/Outer Panel Opening) #02-08-64-014 (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=468&highlight=020864014)

Thanks for setting up the TSB index; found this through a little searching through all the post using the #,
Iceman :thumbs:

Side Note:
I only had my 4-door windows replace twice during the manufacturer warrenty.
After the first set (within 1st-month after getting my car in June '98, when they didn't have any TSB), I waited a 1.5 years for a TSB update for a real fix.
Before the 3-year warrenty ended; we agreed to changing them again [after waiting for like 6-months for back order windows/parts, lost back orders,...).
Now my windows are tinted & have lines on the inside [especially the fronts]. Compared to the outside only before.
Now they have an updated TSB :rolleyes: