suggestion 4 gurus [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : suggestion 4 gurus

GregFarz78
03-31-2003, 08:49 AM
Just reading over the forum guidelines all sounds good but why not just disable the post count feature...its basically useless and it would probably stop some of the PWing. Another car site I'm on which will remain unnamed did away with post counts and the PWing dropped off dramatically. I know its been said before but post counts dont mean jack just b/c someone only has a few doesnt mean they dont know anything and vice versa. Oh well my .02 for the day :)

Mystery8
03-31-2003, 08:56 AM
I like seeing the number :D

It *sorta* lets you know who is a frequent here, and who's not.

I dunno...i'm pulling that outta my ass :)

mshu7
03-31-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by GregFarz78
Just reading over the forum guidelines all sounds good but why not just disable the post count feature...its basically useless and it would probably stop some of the PWing. Another car site I'm on which will remain unnamed did away with post counts and the PWing dropped off dramatically. I know its been said before but post counts dont mean jack just b/c someone only has a few doesnt mean they dont know anything and vice versa. Oh well my .02 for the day :)

I agree with Greg. Here's my thought...

What about replacing "Posts:" with "Member Since: mm/yyyy" ?

Just as an example, I have been around the boards quite a while and check the boards a couple times a day probably, but I don't post a lot. So, does having a low post count make me unknowledgeable when it comes to posting information on this message board?

I think "Member Since..." would be a great substituate for "Posts". This would also cut down on PWing.

UNCTYPE-S
03-31-2003, 07:56 PM
i take it guru liked the idea, cause the post count is gone. awe man, i was on my way to 10,000. lol, ya i dont think its needed either, but it is a good way to keep track.

ViperGTSR
03-31-2003, 08:11 PM
haha sweet i didnt even notice! I think that was a good move

Mshu problem with that system is, everyone is new from that one restart date after the site went down so its kinda useless:)

mshu7
03-31-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by ViperGTSR_500hp
haha sweet i didnt even notice! I think that was a good move

Mshu problem with that system is, everyone is new from that one restart date after the site went down so its kinda useless:)

Ya know, that actually crossed my mind shortly after I made my original post. That's the only drawback to this system I think. Other than that, I think it should work much better than post counters.

Thanks to the Guru's! :cheers:

GregFarz78
04-01-2003, 05:21 AM
Nice...I like the age thing too :thumbs:

badassgrandam99
04-01-2003, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by GregFarz78
Nice...I like the age thing too :thumbs:

...that's been there for a while... but i do like it too :)

DumpsterDamon
04-01-2003, 09:42 AM
the age thing can be misleading however. someone could be 18 and know all about cars (my friend chris) or be 53 and car retarded (my father)

GregFarz78
04-01-2003, 09:49 AM
LOL so true but its cool to see how old people are as opposed to how old they act ;)

DumpsterDamon
04-01-2003, 09:50 AM
true

AMRAAM4
04-01-2003, 11:55 AM
just FYI, and not to be taken anyway except outside of an informative statement.

...but the post count isn't entirely gone :boogie:

Molson
04-01-2003, 12:01 PM
what happened to the user number? I like being lower then Tony. heheh

Jeremy
04-01-2003, 12:20 PM
Ryan's working on some layout changes in the avatar post bit section (the info under your avatar).

Vintalage
04-01-2003, 03:09 PM
For me, the post count lets me know who is a newbie and who frequents here alot.

mshu7
04-01-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Vintalage
For me, the post count lets me know who is a newbie and who frequents here alot.

Most of the time, that is true, but just b/c somebody has a low post count doesn't mean they are a newbie. Like I stated above, I don't post a lot but I'm on the boards quite a bit. I don't think of myself as a newbie just b/c I don't have a huge post count.

Either way, the Guru's know what will work best for this message board.

Vintalage
04-01-2003, 03:56 PM
no, I mean the post counts give me an idea of users who have just joined the site.

UNCTYPE-S
04-01-2003, 05:02 PM
i think they should leave the member number. that pretty much gives the idea of whos been around and who hasnt. even though it says aug 2002 or whatever for the sign up date.

AMRAAM4
04-01-2003, 05:09 PM
I agree with Vintalage, and I don't want this to turn into some argument about post counts don't count/post counts don't show a true person's knowledge, but...

I think if we did a study, we would find that the post count is directly proportional to the knowledge of the member ON GRAND AMs. This doesn't necessarily mean they can do a motor swap and such, but rather they can provide very good info on what parts are available, cost, fit, quality, what mod capabilities are available, the general history of the GA, rules of the site, new items on the horizon, what member here has what part so they can check it out....and so on.

balludc
04-01-2003, 05:16 PM
i like post counts (though they are useless). The post counts only work if you have mature people posting, and moderators do a great job.... but its stupid to think people will post only to raise that little number :rolleyes:

I like the member since even more though... good way to show who's got the most experience on and with the boards. Good job Mike :thumbs:

-derek

Molson
04-01-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by balludc
i like post counts (though they are useless). The post counts only work if you have mature people posting, and moderators do a great job.... but its stupid to think people will post only to raise that little number :rolleyes:

I like the member since even more though... good way to show who's got the most experience on and with the boards. Good job Mike :thumbs:

-derek

except the fact that a good majority of us have been members since Aug 02, the time of the "Great Crash of 2002"

Ryan
04-01-2003, 05:28 PM
Would you guys like me to work on a "karma" system that rates you based on certain input factors. When you are on a thread that get locked or your thread gets deleted your karma goes down but if you keep making posts that get a good amount of reads and replies then your karma goes up.

What do you think??

UNCTYPE-S
04-01-2003, 05:39 PM
i dont think that would work, cause what if u do add to a thread in a positive way, and other people decide to chime in and give smart remarks, then it ruins it for the people that are serious about the thread.

i would also think that wouldnt work, cause people would judge u on ur status. saying, "oh look, hes a bad member who doesnt support to the site". but in actuality, they might know a few things or two and other might ruin their status for them.

just what i think

Ryan
04-01-2003, 05:58 PM
ok...then how about simply a rating system that measures how many posts per day, number of posts, and the length of the posts. It takes all that data and gives like a "karma" number.

Molson
04-01-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by GAGuru2
ok...then how about simply a rating system that measures how many posts per day, number of posts, and the length of the posts. It takes all that data and gives like a "karma" number.

try it. If it doesn't work out, you can always take it off.

SikMindz
04-01-2003, 06:10 PM
Or even better...a "CARma" rating. :thumbs:

Really...I should get extra points for being quippy! :p

white01
04-01-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by SikMindz
Or even better...a "CARma" rating. :thumbs:

Really...I should get extra points for being quippy! :p

or that you have way to much time on your hands to come up with that :D

mshu7
04-01-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Vintalage
no, I mean the post counts give me an idea of users who have just joined the site.

My bad...I misunderstood what you meant.

Obviously, each of us has our own idea about how to show "experience & intelligence" on this forum. I don't really know if there is a perfect system but I think we all have had very good and valid ideas. I know somebody mentioned this possibly turning into an argument but I think we've all been pretty level-headed about the issue at hand.

Anyway, everybody has had good ideas so I'm sure the Guru's can think of something to encorporate all the different ideas.

Hey Derek...I know why you like posts counters. You big PW!!! Actually, you aren't a PW here, but I've seen how you work on other boards...LOL :)

Vintalage
04-02-2003, 07:28 AM
The quick reply box has been added again. Great move!

Dr_Kyle
04-02-2003, 10:46 AM
the quick reply box is awesome! I've just gotta break the old habit of hitting the "post reply" button.

With all this hassle over a variation of post counts, I say just leave them on here. There's never going to be a fool-proof system for a computer to know who posts the best stuff or whatever. That's up to the user/reader to determine. I think it should be on or off...no variations like rating/CARma (that was a good one Sik!)...

Just my .02

UNCTYPE-S
04-05-2003, 09:00 PM
you can still check ur post count. even though it doesnt show up under ur name, you can click on "members" on the top right of the forum, and search for your name, and there ya go.

Irate
04-13-2003, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by GAGuru2
ok...then how about simply a rating system that measures how many posts per day, number of posts, and the length of the posts. It takes all that data and gives like a "karma" number. I definately think that that would be a nifty token of knowledge to have. I'll agree with the others that the post count was a good indication, but it wasn't important enough to keep around... Hopefully this "carma" thing will stop people from posting one-word answers or just a smiley as a response...

Irate
04-13-2003, 06:29 AM
:D

DeuceGT
04-14-2003, 09:15 AM
maybe a rating system would help?? since most of the time i recognize the site "regulars" by their screen names, we could just have a voting button. they make a bad post...BOOO, they make a good post, YAAAY.

i myself feel that post counts are misleading. i'm here alot, but i don't post alot. maybe a system that registers your activity on the board?? like how long you are actively searching the forums, how long in each section, etc...

~steve