2002 GAGT Window Scratch [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2002 GAGT Window Scratch

Brad02
04-02-2003, 01:46 AM
I figured I would post that I just noticed substantial scratch marks on the drivers side window. I had this problem on my 99 SE and since it was a known issue to GM I figured it would not be an issue on my new 02 GT.

I wonder if anyone else out there has this problem on their 2002 model.

If you have taken it to the dealer did you have a hassle at all?

**Edit: I just checked out Alldata (http://alldata.com) and noticed there is a TSB for window scratching for my 02. As well as a ton of other TSB's. Ho-hum.

Chaotic Reality
04-04-2003, 07:39 PM
I just got my windows and felt strips replaced today because both front windows were scratched up...the dealership even drove up to my apartment to fix it, it was awesome.

-Jon

AznGA
07-02-2003, 07:17 PM
Are we talking about vertical scratches caused by rolling windows up and down? Both front windows of my 02 GT has them. I remember seeing a bunch of thread about this, but this is the only thing search gave me.

Mike Jung
07-02-2003, 07:53 PM
Door Glass Scratches (Widen Door Metal Inner/Outer Panel Opening) TSB #02-08-64-014 (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=468&highlight=020864014)

AznGA
07-02-2003, 08:08 PM
Thanks. Why is it titled "Door Glas"?
No wonder I couldn't find it.

mr_eh
07-06-2003, 01:28 PM
do they have to fix this out of warranty because its a recall?

Mike Jung
07-06-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by mr_eh
do they have to fix this out of warranty because its a recall?
No, it is NOT a recall.

But a known problem, hance the TSB.

mr_eh
07-06-2003, 11:31 PM
ouch how much are they gonna charge me to fix?

Gimli
07-07-2003, 04:55 AM
ouch how much are they gonna charge me to fix?

If you're still covered by the warranty, nothing. It is a defect with the windows and they have to fix it.

Like Mike said though it is not a recall and you'll have to pay for it if you're out of warranty.

mr_eh
07-07-2003, 09:46 AM
yeah im out of warranty =/

Vintalage
07-15-2003, 07:46 AM
I just washed my car on sunday and when I was cleaning the windows, I saw on my driver's and passenger's window scratches at the top. I ran my finger over it and could feel the scratches in the windows.

I'm curious, could an extended warranty cover it? I'm still under factory warranty right now.

Jason E
07-15-2003, 07:02 PM
What sucks is warranty does NOT cover window tint, if you have had them done. I have, and my driver one is scratched :(

AznGA
07-15-2003, 07:27 PM
Ya I know. You gotta get this taken care of before getting tint.

Vintalage
07-15-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by AznGA
Ya I know. You gotta get this taken care of before getting tint.

Exactly my thinking. I want to get tint soon. Yeah, that does suck though I know chaotic reality had his replaced by the dealer though it was a hassle I believe.

Jason E, long time no see. It's been a while since i've seen you on the boards.

mr_eh
07-16-2003, 11:24 AM
looks like we are all in the same boat, i told this guy i would come in for tint next week then remembered about the window scratching thing i keep putting off, i wonder how much they are gonna ream me for to do it out of warranty =/... or if it will even scratch the tint?

AznGA
07-16-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Vintalage
Exactly my thinking. I want to get tint soon. Yeah, that does suck though I know chaotic reality had his replaced by the dealer though it was a hassle I believe.

Jason E, long time no see. It's been a while since i've seen you on the boards.

Actually, he said the dealer came to his house and replaced them in short time.

AznGA
07-16-2003, 07:27 PM
looks like we are all in the same boat, i told this guy i would come in for tint next week then remembered about the window scratching thing i keep putting off, i wonder how much they are gonna ream me for to do it out of warranty =/... or if it will even scratch the tint?

If it scratches the window, I bet it will cut the tint vinyl.

AznGA
07-18-2003, 10:10 PM
Taking my car in on Monday. They said they need to take the door panels off, but I don't know if I want them to mess with that kinda stuff. I am not getting tint anytime soon.

kse73
07-19-2003, 12:30 AM
All of my scratches are on the outside of the window....the tint is in the inside. So hopefully my tint will remain ok, considering I had it done today.

mr_eh
07-19-2003, 01:08 AM
i need to determine which side the scratches are on...

AznGA
07-19-2003, 11:05 AM
Most likely it's outside.

Jagey
07-19-2003, 11:31 AM
When i had scratches, they were all on the outside too

munruss
07-24-2003, 06:41 PM
Yup, I have the same problem. My car is going in on Aug 4th for things and I will add that to the list.

Vintalage
07-24-2003, 08:25 PM
Mine is going in July 29th for this problem.

AznGA
07-24-2003, 09:01 PM
I set up an appoinment for this but decided not to take it in...I don't want dealer to mess with it by taking the door apart.

Vintalage
07-24-2003, 09:11 PM
I set up an appoinment for this but decided not to take it in...I don't want dealer to mess with it by taking the door apart.

Yeah, I heard from the Service advisor that they have to get a window contractor and coordinate a time or something like that. They better not **** up my car, or it's their ass!

Vintalage
07-30-2003, 10:38 AM
The car went in yesterday for the windows scratching issue and the A/C. My complaint with the a/c was that it was slow to react. Got a call back today saying the parts for the windows had to be ordered and would take a week to 10 days to arrive. The guy said I would get a post card in the mail telling me that the part is in. Concerning the a/c, he said the service tech could not find any problems with the a/c and he would need a longer road test to see what the problem is. He said that the service tech would have to take the car home overnight to get a better diagnosis. I quickly declined that request. No way am I letting a service tech take my car home. I don't know how far "home" is for the service tech. But more importantly, I don't like the idea of a service tech driving my car for an extended period like the one mentioned.

Would you guys have let the service tech take the car home? I probably have the answer to that question.

I will be picking the car up this afternoon.

AznGA
07-30-2003, 06:12 PM
The car went in yesterday for the windows scratching issue and the A/C. My complaint with the a/c was that it was slow to react. Got a call back today saying the parts for the windows had to be ordered and would take a week to 10 days to arrive. The guy said I would get a post card in the mail telling me that the part is in. Concerning the a/c, he said the service tech could not find any problems with the a/c and he would need a longer road test to see what the problem is. He said that the service tech would have to take the car home overnight to get a better diagnosis. I quickly declined that request. No way am I letting a service tech take my car home. I don't know how far "home" is for the service tech. But more importantly, I don't like the idea of a service tech driving my car for an extended period like the one mentioned.

Would you guys have let the service tech take the car home? I probably have the answer to that question.

What? The tech is taking YOUR car HIS home? That's totally nonsense. Man, I would take your car back as soon as possible. What kinda technician would work on a customer's car outside the dealer? It's not like he would get paid for that either......

Vintalage
07-30-2003, 06:19 PM
What? The tech is taking YOUR car HIS home? That's totally nonsense. Man, I would take your car back as soon as possible. What kinda technician would work on a customer's car outside the dealer? It's not like he would get paid for that either......

Concerning the a/c... He said that the service tech would have to take the car home overnight to get a better diagnosis. I quickly declined that request. No way am I letting a service tech take my car home. I don't know how far "home" is for the service tech. But more importantly, I don't like the idea of a service tech driving my car for an extended period like the one mentioned.

I told the service advisor that I rather take my car home. My sales reciept said "NOT COOLING AS EXPECTED, COULD NOT DUPLICATE PROBLEM. TECH SUGGESTED A OVERNITE ROAD TEST THAT CUSTOMER DECLINED AT THIS TIME."

My car in the hands of a service tech overnight...HELL NO!!! I saw how they drive those cars on the lot. And most of the service techs there are young (even though i'm young myself). Still, no way in hell.

Vintalage
07-30-2003, 06:38 PM
Oh by the way, picked the car up this afternoon so it's with me. I just have to wait for the parts to come in so I can take it back and have them fix the windows.

Blackgt1
07-30-2003, 06:56 PM
my windows are scratching on the inside... its scatched the tint a bit but its not that bad, noticeable but not too bad. too bad im ordered to remove the tint by august 1st.... better get on that

Vintalage
08-09-2003, 09:36 AM
****!!! :rage: Just got my car back from the supposed window replacement that took 2 days to do to find out that my windows still have scratches on them. Apparently, they only replaced the molding strips that were causing the scratches but not the windows that have the scratches. WTF??? I'm ****ed!!! :mad: Back to the dealer again!!! :o

Jagey
08-09-2003, 09:48 AM
I didn't even know letting the service tech take it home was legal. How would insurance work if there was an accident?

AznGA
08-11-2003, 05:59 PM
OK, so I thought I could live with scratched windows but now my front windows are making the squeak noise everytime when it's rolled up and down. I have no problems with rear windows whatsoever. They are not scratched at all. I am finally taking it in.

Vintalage
08-12-2003, 08:05 AM
OK, so I thought I could live with scratched windows but now my front windows are making the squeak noise everytime when it's rolled up and down. I have no problems with rear windows whatsoever. They are not scratched at all. I am finally taking it in.

Mine does that too...even with the new molding. It seems to do it after a good rain storm.

AznGA
08-13-2003, 12:44 PM
I got my car back the next day and now I have new front windows for both sides. The dealer said they brought a window company in to work on my car. They said they also fixed something inside the door that was causing the scratches. So far, it seems like they did a very good job.

Vintalage
08-13-2003, 12:51 PM
Was your window molding replaced?

AznGA
08-13-2003, 01:03 PM
Was your window molding replaced?
I think they only replaced windows.......
What exactly is window molding?

Vintalage
08-13-2003, 01:09 PM
I think they only replaced windows.......
What exactly is window molding?

The piece next to the window. It has a chrome on it. If your in the car and look down at the window, you see the piece where the window goes in. That's part of the window molding... I think.

AznGA
08-13-2003, 07:48 PM
Doesn't seem like they replaced it. I drove it again tonite and those fockers made the noise again. GOD FOCKING DAMMIT.

Vintalage
08-13-2003, 10:21 PM
Doesn't seem like they replaced it. I drove it again tonite and those fockers made the noise again. GOD FOCKING DAMMIT.

LOL, I know how you feel. After the molding was replaced, my driver side window is making a high pitched squeak sound as it goes up sometimes.

Yesterday, I had to go back to the dealer so they could order 3 new windows. Those dumbasses failed to do what I asked them to. I said my windows were scracthing. I specifically told them that and I get the car back with the scratched windows and new molding. ****ed me OFF!!! :mad:

SOCKS99SE
08-14-2003, 10:52 AM
having a tech take a veh home is a somewhat common thing on issues that are hard to locate. it allows the tech to take your place as the customer and put it through exatly what you would, go home from work, park it over night and hop in it cold and then drive to work. it usually allows them to find it.

and yes they are fully covered, it is no different then them sending their tech for parts.

GrandRamGT
08-16-2003, 07:48 PM
Vintalage,

Go print off a copy of the Scratched Windows TSB, walk in there and put it right in front of their face. They were shocked when I showed it to them, almost a "where did you get that" kind of reaction. They ordered the parts, replaced the front 2 windows and re-tinted them at their expense which I thought was a hell of a deal. Their reasoning was that they wanted to "keep me as a customer", thats why they re-tinted. Good Luck. :thumbs:

-Chris

Vintalage
08-17-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by GrandRamGT
Vintalage,

Go print off a copy of the Scratched Windows TSB, walk in there and put it right in front of their face. They were shocked when I showed it to them, almost a "where did you get that" kind of reaction. They ordered the parts, replaced the front 2 windows and re-tinted them at their expense which I thought was a hell of a deal. Their reasoning was that they wanted to "keep me as a customer", thats why they re-tinted. Good Luck. :thumbs:

-Chris

I did. I printed out the TSB and handed it to them. When I contacted them on the phone, they were telling me they would have to coordinate with the window contractor to get it done. They didn't do it. That totally surprised me. :eek:

louveres
08-19-2003, 02:35 PM
I just got my driver's side window replaced today. Dealer was cool, did not ask any questions. I am picking it up tonight and better be fixed right.

rbcastro4
04-13-2004, 09:27 AM
I have had my windows replaced and they just scratched all over again.

Cino
04-13-2004, 06:29 PM
I have had my windows replaced and they just scratched all over again.

I know the feeling. I have a 03 and a month after they were replaced. I had a 1 inch long scratch on the driver window... I'm going to deal with it for now and maybe get it tinted... but if it gets bad... they are going to replace it, even at 100,001k miles...

Cino

AznGA
04-13-2004, 06:42 PM
My 2 front ones were scratched. They replaced the windows and widened the gap, but they are scratched again.

Vintalage
04-13-2004, 07:06 PM
My dealer replaced 3 windows (those were the only ones scratched) and changed the molding. But look at this pic. The molding on the rear door isn't lined up right. I think it's starting to come up. I can't remember if it was always like that or if it just started. I don't know? :confused:

http://home.earthlink.net/~vintalage/images/Tint/tint2.jpg

rbcastro4
04-14-2004, 05:17 AM
It started with one then moved on to all four now, I am puzzled after all these years you would think they could fix the issue. I get a hassle to when I go to the dealer about it and it took 4 months for the first set of windows to come in, I was told they were back ordered, HHHMMMM wonder why?

mattdude1984
04-16-2004, 10:12 AM
I found the tsb sheet and printed it out a couple days ago and then called pontiac's 1-800 number and told them the tsb #. She said she never heard of it and couldn't find it and did absolutely nothing for me. I only have a few scratches on the passanger window. Looks like hell from the inside when the sun comes through, but from the outside not noticeable. So, I'm just going to live with it even though if I went to my dealer they would probably replace it. I don't want them to screw up the moldings or anything. Plus, they are just bound to scratch again. Window scratching....such a common problem with what seems to be only ga owners.

Cino
04-19-2004, 06:54 AM
I already had both of my windows replace. I noticed a scratch on my driver side and they said its nothing... They put tape on it and the it didn't scratch. I want to get my windows tinted this summer. If I get my windows tinted and a year goes by and my windows start to scratch. Would you think my dealer should paid for everything? Replace the windows and tinit since they have on record they fixed the windows scratching problem. You know what, the hell with dealers....If my tint does get scratch and they don't replace the windows and tint... Small Claims court :) For $10 bucks, I think they would fix it before court...hehehehe

Cino

audrey12299
04-19-2004, 12:43 PM
I have BAD scratches on my windows. But, i have tint, will the dealership still fix them for me. I mean, they are even on the outside of my window so its even on the opposite sides of the tint. i have an 02 GT

audrey12299
04-19-2004, 12:45 PM
mine is so bad, i am thinking abut getting my windows retinted. its been 2 years but still, it sucks

rbcastro4
04-19-2004, 01:35 PM
I was told that the glass is not under warranty and if the tint was there it would not be replaced. I had to have my windshield replaced 4 times and one of those times I had RAM AIR on it and they replaced the windshield, but said they were not responsible for the stickers....

Vintalage
04-19-2004, 02:22 PM
They should be responsible for the tints and the windows. This should not be happening in the first place. The molding strip is what is scratching the windows so the windows that are scratched and the moldings have to be replaced.

I've had it done already.

videoman
04-19-2004, 02:45 PM
I already had this done early last year. They replaced both drivers and passengers side windows. I had to get the tint redone ( outta my pocket ) and now this year the drivers side is scratched again. The dealership said they would replace the window again..but..They couldn't pay for the tint. So I am talking with GM about them reimbursing me for it. Because this is the second time this has had to be done, the owness is on them. I have to get the window inspected by a district service manager to see if they will replace the tint.

BiHStL
04-26-2004, 08:28 PM
i cant belive it, i am so mad, i noticed the scratches the other day and tried calling my dealer to ask some questions, first of all, they said they have never heard of it, also they said warranty wont cover it(i have bought an extended waranty on my 2001 gagt when i bought it just two months ago). I am printing out the tsb and taking it in to the dealership as soon as i can, i am going to raise some H&ll, i am so mad.

BiHStL
04-27-2004, 01:59 PM
well, talked to the dealer, gm, and the actuall man who sold methe car at the dealership, i gave him a peace of mind and thats all, they wont do anything for me so ill just have to go and get this done out of my pocket, unbelievable!

BiHStL
04-27-2004, 01:59 PM
How much did you all who payed for this have to pay to get the trim replaced?

Cino
04-27-2004, 02:34 PM
How many people at GM did u talk to? Ask for ther supervisor and his/her supervisor.. Give them a call and see if they can help you. Also let your dealer know that you are calling/writeing a letter to GM and you want to know the name of the Site/Regional Manager..Keep bitchin, talk about calling the BBB. It may help

Cino

BiHStL
04-27-2004, 07:39 PM
Well i got somewhere, i talked to the dealer who sold me the car again and got very frusturated with him, then he mad me an offer, he would give me a discount, he would only make me pay about half the cost that they estimated, maybe about 60 dollars to replace the trim, and the labor. So i think ill wait till later this summer and then maybe get the trim and windows replaced, i will have the discount then so it wont cost too much, there are other things i want to do to my ride right now since the scratches are barely noticeable, im happy that my complaining paid off some.

crazypontiac03
05-18-2004, 05:36 PM
I have the same problem, i only noticed after tinting them its on the inside which sucks, now im going to try and live with it and if it get bad take it back and see if they can actually fix the problem and probably get screwed on retinting them but maybe i can pressure them into it, but for now ill live with it.

videoman
05-18-2004, 09:58 PM
I just had my drivers side Window replaced for the second time, this time GM did pay for my tinting. I was very pleased with their cander and acceptance that the first time they did the work it was apperantly not done well enough. But I am now pleased with the job and that GM actually admits when they do something wrong....at least in this case.

audrey12299
05-19-2004, 08:47 AM
i went to my dealer, and called pontiac headquarters. Even though i have an extended warranty, they will not replace anything. nothing. i have an 02 GT and 37,000. They said they could have replaced it before 36,000. This is such BS. I swear, I have really been hating Pontiac lately. Its their goddamn product that has a defect, so they should fix it

Hexx
05-19-2004, 10:43 AM
i went to my dealer, and called pontiac headquarters. Even though i have an extended warranty, they will not replace anything. nothing. i have an 02 GT and 37,000. They said they could have replaced it before 36,000. This is such BS. I swear, I have really been hating Pontiac lately. Its their goddamn product that has a defect, so they should fix it

But if it's covered under warentee before 36,000 miles....you should shutup because you are 36,000 miles.

audrey12299
05-19-2004, 11:01 AM
But if it's covered under warentee before 36,000 miles....you should shutup because you are 36,000 miles.

What?

audrey12299
05-19-2004, 11:02 AM
i have 37,000 + miles

crazypontiac03
05-19-2004, 04:25 PM
Im going to take mine in this weekend and see what they say, hopefully they replace it and also replace the tint thats what im worried about the most. But the tint shop is right across the street, so hopefully i still dont understand why they dont replace the tint if it was tinted its not the tint that cause it to scratch its just a Gm flaw? shouldnt they have to put it back the way it was like say if u were in a accident?

mattdude1984
05-19-2004, 08:10 PM
My dealer said that glass wasn't covered under warranty even after showing the tsb and calling the 1-800 number (which did nothing). I know for a fact that you can polish scratches out with cerium oxide and a 1500 rpm polisher(not for super deep scratches) Althogh this does nothing for widening the door panel to prevent further scratches. But maybe you can talk the dealer into just widening the door panel and doing nothing with the glass. Then you can get the scratches removed by a glass shop or do it yourself kits at pepboys (you'll need a power drill). Not all glass shops remove scratches, but big name ones usually do. Just throwing out some options since I know alot of us still have the scratches and have had alot of trouble with getting the dealer to do anything about this. Why does it seem that some dealers are more understanding than others. I don't get it, I go to my dealer for everything (oil changes, etc) and they don't cut me a break. Anyways, give it a shot, those scratches are so dam annoying.

crazypontiac03
05-19-2004, 08:52 PM
yea they are! Just take it to a different dealer it seems ever dealer is different. I dont get it but then again they havent been able to fix this problem in the last 4-5yrs, i will post what my dealer says sat.

charbygt
06-06-2004, 07:07 AM
I had my windows done this week without hassle. I had tint, and it will scatch through. My car is almost 3 years old and had several items fixed before warranty finishes. I did have to pay for the tint $60 cdn. I had the left calipier fixed with a kit as it was scapping. 2 new tires from that scrapping when turning, 2 back-up lights (water inside). Hazard switch was doing the clicking thing,replaced. I found these on the TSB area and had them in had at the dealer. I talk to the mech. and he did the rest for me.

Braves299
06-28-2004, 09:20 AM
How much will it cost to replace my passenger window(front), and whatever is causing the problem?

crazypontiac03
06-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Charbygt, when you had your windows fixed were they scatched on the outside or inside? I took mine in last week and they gave me some ****, That they couldnt fix it because it was tinted and i would have to Talk to someone at GM?

charbygt
06-29-2004, 03:25 AM
I had mine fixed uder warranty, so there was no cost. I had scatches on both inside & outside of drivers side. It does not have anything to do with tinting on windows. They change windows and install newer guides so as not to scratch again. I had the windows tinted first and dealer had him install the windows. The dealers must have to cry to GM at times to get this stuff paid for. Thus make it a pain on a customer. Do not give up and go to the tsb page here and get the tsb# to take to the dealer. Good luck.

blackGT420
07-28-2004, 05:31 PM
I never noticed the scratches on my front windows until after I got them tinted. You can only notice them on the inside but it still sux, have no warranty left

AznGA
01-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Anything should be replaced under 36000 mile warranty, that is if you didn't mess with it by modding or anything like that. My 2 front ones were replaced under warranty and they are scratched AGAIN. The driver side is terrible. Has anyone paid for repair out of the pocket?

audrey12299
01-31-2005, 06:01 AM
I went to my dealer and they wouldn't budge on the windows.....I was just over 36,000 miles. I was ****ed. I even have the extended warrenty for 7 yrs/75,000 miles. Nothing. I even called Pontiac directly and they "investigated" it and said they couldn't do anything. I wound up getting my tint redone....the new tint is scratched but its not as bad. I didn't care about them replacing the tint, it was more about replacing the window. Oh well.

zelda4325
01-31-2005, 11:01 AM
I thought the extended warrenty covers everythingstill. That sucks.

audrey12299
01-31-2005, 12:53 PM
I was hoping it would, but it didn't :rage:

AznGA
02-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Well I just noticed today that ALL of my 4 windows are scratched. I have got 2 front ones replaced before......

04gagt2dr
02-12-2005, 10:00 AM
took my 04 in and talked nicely to service rep, window, seals, and tint will be done by gm free of charge, figured i would try and talk nice, see if i could get more done, and they were happy to work with me, now if i have to have it done again, maybe not so nice!

eggo
02-17-2005, 04:17 PM
well same goes here. 02GAGT got the windows tinted and out jumps the scratch. thought it was a bad tint job at first. he came out and Re-tinted.. to only have it show up in the exact same spot. now that the car is a few yrs old the scratch has turned plural.
my first scratch was about 4-5 inches from the front of the window. drivers side. is this a common spot for everyone??

Hexx
02-17-2005, 05:07 PM
mine was the whole windows themselves. Tons of scratches. It had them when I bought the car (didnt notice it until a couple weeks after) and I bought the car with 59Kmi on it.

jamesh1985
02-19-2005, 12:27 PM
For the people who had this done without the warrenty, how much did it cost?

migstar
03-01-2005, 07:41 PM
I figured I would post that I just noticed substantial scratch marks on the drivers side window. I had this problem on my 99 SE and since it was a known issue to GM I figured it would not be an issue on my new 02 GT.

I wonder if anyone else out there has this problem on their 2002 model.

If you have taken it to the dealer did you have a hassle at all?

**Edit: I just checked out Alldata (http://alldata.com) and noticed there is a TSB for window scratching for my 02. As well as a ton of other TSB's. Ho-hum.

Hello Brad
I noticed that you are from Sherwood Park. Is that Sherwood Park Alberta Canada? Well that's where I live also. I have a 2003 Grand AM GT and I purchased the Door Badges for my car. Do you have them on your car??

I really need the exact measurements of where they are on the doors.

Let me know if you have them and maybe my husband and I could take the measurements if you dont mind. My email address is migstar@shaw.ca