Auto styling that annoys you [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Auto styling that annoys you

red rocket
04-02-2003, 06:33 AM
Ever drive to work or school, look over in the other lane and see something about another car that really bothers you? Maybe I am more picky than most, but I always find myself evaluating the styling of other cars. Here's a few of my pet auto styling peeves:

Hyundai Sante Fe: crease at the bottom of the rear doors - looks like someone kicked it in

Pontiac Bonneville: why a chrome strip down the side?

Pontiac Aztek: the double level front end grill is awful looking

Ford Mustang: on the pre-1999 V-6 models, the standard three-spoke wheels are terribly cheap looking

Chevy Impala: rear tail lights ruin the overall design

Mike3800
04-02-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by red rocket
Hyundai Sante Fe: crease at the bottom of the rear doors - looks like someone kicked it in

I agree, but it's overall not that bad looking to me.

Pontiac Bonneville: why a chrome strip down the side?

I think it's only on the base model. (?) For old (fashoned) people.

Then there's the rest of the vehicle minus the drivetrain that is pretty much offensive looking to any Pontiac enthusiast.

Ford Mustang: on the pre-1999 V-6 models, the standard three-spoke wheels are terribly cheap looking

No question

Chevy Impala: rear tail lights ruin the overall design

I agreed when this first came out... perhaps because I was so irritated at the kill of the real Impala RWD V8 car, but for some reason the Impala LS looks pretty good to me, it grew on me.

I am hoping the same thing will happen with the 04 Grand Prix, cause to me it looks like a grandalerotaurusville now.

Here's some more of mine... keep in mind I don't sugarcoat anything.

03+ Grand Am ... just because the Alero mirrors fit doesn't mean they belong on a Grand Am, and paint the darn things to match ya cheap o's... after all, the price did go up, spend the extra 2.5cents per car to paint the mirrors. Also who cut the wheel wells to fit 22 inch wheels? What idiot would put chains on such a nice looking expensive car? Makes the stock 16's look like 13's with low profile tires.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo...

preparing for takeoff! Clear the runway.. Oh... it's not a plane? That's a spoiler? stupid looking wing.

Mistubishi Lancer "OZ Rally"

what rally is this from? The cheap car 14 inch wheel weak oversized engine race with tacky styling? It looks like someone took a normal Lancer and dorkafied it but with teeny wheels.

Kia Rio Cinco... need I say more?

Focus.. do I really have to? Can't I bluur my eyes to protect myself?

Caddilac CTS.... the interior is nice. Crack does really kill, so whoever designed the exterior needs to lay off the crack.

Hyundai Tiburon.... *one engineer to the other at Hyundai* Yeah that's it.. no one will know we turned a Mustang around backwards, added an extra side fin and put the hood where the trunk normally goes.

Mustang GT... great looking car but the fake hood scoop just bothers the living crap out of me only because it's fake.

Honda Element.... did they even consider styling when they made this abomination or were they trying to win an ugly competition where the Aztec previously had the title?

Acura RSX... you forgot the armrest

Honda Civic Si... you forgot the armrest.

that about covers it for now.

Jason22
04-02-2003, 01:07 PM
Well I do not know if this should be in this particular thread, but something that irritated the living heck outta me was the other day driving home from school, and I see some kid in a red Firebird. Well what does this chump have on it, a 3 foot Kinex spoiler, to go with a 4" Muffler. I was so stunned I forgot to look for stickers on his car. How can someone try to take a fast car and MAKE it a ricer?????

Not2OLD
04-02-2003, 01:16 PM
There seems to be a trend globally to chop off the rear deck.

The CTS
The 300M
The Saturn Ion
The Nissans (Altima and Maxima)
There are others which escape me now.

While it may offer some reduction in drag coefficient, it just looks kind of "unfinished" to me.

Molson
04-02-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Mike3800
03+ Grand Am ... just because the Alero mirrors fit doesn't mean they belong on a Grand Am, and paint the darn things to match ya cheap o's... after all, the price did go up, spend the extra 2.5cents per car to paint the mirrors. Also who cut the wheel wells to fit 22 inch wheels? What idiot would put chains on such a nice looking expensive car? Makes the stock 16's look like 13's with low profile tires.

wtf wtf

Chains?? Huh?

DumpsterDamon
04-02-2003, 01:51 PM
i hate the way GA's look because i'm not driving one and i get real jealous every time i see a gt coupe drive by me.

koolZ71
04-02-2003, 02:50 PM
i love the WRX but hate the headlights on em...look way to bug eyed for me

greenhornet
04-02-2003, 02:56 PM
Honda Element has to be the ugliest, I saw white one the other day and it looked like a concession stand for little league baseball.

Mike3800
04-02-2003, 04:22 PM
here's some more..

I think the Saturn ION looks pretty nice EXCEPT one of the optional wheel styles looks like they broke out the mold to re-make 1985 Subaru Turbo RX wheels, looks completley out of place on the car.

Toyota Echo... and egg with 13 inch wheels that look like 10's cause the car is so tall.

Mike3800
04-02-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Molson
wtf wtf

Chains?? Huh?

Why else did they make the wheel wells so bloddy large? I am just guessing clearance for chains. wtf

Kitt
04-02-2003, 05:17 PM
How about any car that has that 3rd brake light that doesnt stop flashing.....:rage:

I swear if i see one of those again while stuck in traffic ill walk up to the guy and tell them to put it in park:rage:

red rocket
04-03-2003, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by greenhornet
Honda Element has to be the ugliest, I saw white one the other day and it looked like a concession stand for little league baseball.

LMAO - concession stand on wheels! That Element is way ugly - saw one on the way to work this morning - two tone gray to boot!

ja_nd
04-03-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by gpnomo

The CTS
The 300M
The Saturn Ion
The Nissans (Altima and Maxima)
There are others which escape me now.

One word on the top 3 Bob Lutz

red rocket
04-03-2003, 09:34 AM
The 300M is a Chrysler product - was Lutz involved with that?

One thing I don't like in the Malibu is the absurd automatic shifter. The shaft is a mile long and the shifter is so tiny.

Mystery8
04-03-2003, 09:52 AM
Ford Focus - Ugly all day.

Toyota Echo - looks like someone kicked it HARD in the ass. (it's so smushed!!)

300m rear end. Someone else mentioned it, and they're right. Looks totally unfinished... wtf

Aztek and Avalanche...What were they thinking?! :nono:

"Ford Mustang: on the pre-1999 V-6 models, the standard three-spoke wheels are terribly cheap looking" I wholeheartedly agree, and this bothers me every time i see it!

Any KIA car.....i get a kick outta them! I'd rather drive a golf cart everywhere...i'm not kidding.

Grand Am- wheel well gap. But aside from lowering it, what're you gonna do? :p

On a car, modified- it has to be clear tails. Altezzas. MOST look like total ass gone bad. I do like the nissan altima 3.5 clear tails (i think that's the car?)
Clear tails are just not my thing.

Not2OLD
04-03-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by ja_nd
One word on the top 3 Bob Lutz

I had not put that connection together, But you're right! :thumbs:

I wonder what Mr. Lutz has against stylish rear-end treatments ?

Molson
04-03-2003, 10:43 AM
he is not an ass man apparently.

Slim
04-03-2003, 11:50 AM
I wonder why some new cars put the instruments in the MIDDLE of the dashboard. Yeah, that's safe. If I want to look how fast I'm going, I need to take my eyes completely off the road. wtf

Mike3800
04-03-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Slim25
I wonder why some new cars put the instruments in the MIDDLE of the dashboard. Yeah, that's safe. If I want to look how fast I'm going, I need to take my eyes completely off the road. wtf

Supposedly that's safer having it higher and centered.

Screw the dumb crap.. HUD is much better. That's why I have to buy a GTP again, to be safe. :D :thumbs:

Mike3800
04-03-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Molson
he is not an ass man apparently.

lol

Lutz is responsible for the CTS? 300M isn't that bad.

He's responsible for the horid styling of the Aztec and Avalanche too? :nono: I thought that was someone elses dumb idea and he didn't like it either.

If this is the case, I hope he doesn't come anywhere near the Corvette for styling. I'd probbably cry if I say a band new Corvette with stupid looking oddly shaped square lines and un-painted plastic caldding everywhere.

koolZ71
04-03-2003, 12:22 PM
Supposedly that's safer having it higher and centered.

Screw the dumb crap.. HUD is much better. That's why I have to buy a GTP again, to be safe. :D :thumbs:

u dont need a GTP for heads up:) u can get a GT but yeah i know what u mean:)

red rocket
04-03-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Mystery8
Aztek and Avalanche...What were they thinking?! :nono:

hee hee hee - I actually own an Avalanche, and it's the best vehicle I've ever owned! But I can admit the looks are polarizing....although they've sold a boat load of them over the past year - can't say that about the Aztek!

mjhurley1
04-03-2003, 02:42 PM
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then there's the rest of the vehicle minus the drivetrain that is pretty much offensive looking to any Pontiac enthusiast.

Being a Pontiac enthusiast, I happen to like the wife's Aztec.

Mike3800
04-03-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by mjhurley1
Being a Pontiac enthusiast, I happen to like the wife's Aztec.

A few people do. It was a complete flop the first year, but some people still liked it and bought it, so there are the rare few people that like it's styling, but for the most part, Pontiac enthusiasts don't.

red rocket
04-04-2003, 06:28 AM
If they could tweak the front end and the back end, I'd buy one. I absolutely love the interior of the vehicle. Very Jurassic Park safari like!

Greed4Speed
04-09-2003, 05:48 PM
That would be wheels that are too wide/back spaced wrong. Why would anyone want their wheels to stick outside of their fender wells? Do they like the rooster tails when driving in the rain?

Smaller than stock rims on a car. This looks good why?

Cars that run larger rim and tire combo but doesn't lower. What, you want to look like a 4wd?

Simulated wood grain siding. I saw this on a PT Cruiser. I guess polyester pants will be next.

The Mercedes SUV that looks like a larger version of the Suzuki Samurai.

Anyone that spends so much on a 4wd SUV and will never use it off road. Get a 2wd! Don't give me winter driving safety, if you hit ice with or w/out 4wd- you're out of control. From experience in a 4wd Expedition.

Lowered Dualies, whats the point?

The nekkid lady sihlouettes.

Any mural on a car. Murals are for walls!

Luggage racks on cars. Never seen them used. Minivan or SUV yes, car no.

Taillight tape. I understand if you have to do this until you get it repaired, but when you see the a car that has this as standard equipment thats just not right. Quit being lazy and put a new lens on the thing!

Cars that run odd colors for lights. Not the blueish headlights. I'm talking about putting a blue bulb behind amber flasher covers, etc. There is a reason why white and amber on on the FRONT and red is on the REAR with white showing only in reverse. Gotta know which way the drunk drivers are moving.

Vintalage
04-14-2003, 07:51 AM
The Element wouldn't have been so bad if Honda released this concept.

http://www.caranddriver.com/image_cache/DATA/Caranddriver/images/autoshow/2003/naias/03naias_spawn_honda_studioe.jpg

That's why I think the Astek is still the ugliest. It will never look good. It's just plain ugly.

I don't like the grey cladding on the Avalanche. I would take the Cadillac Escalade EXT cause it has a clean look, looks nice driving down the road and has that pimp factor. :)

ohiograndam
04-14-2003, 04:58 PM
A few people do. It was a complete flop the first year, but some people still liked it and bought it, so there are the rare few people that like it's styling, but for the most part, Pontiac enthusiasts don't.

I had to use my mom's Aztek last week because my GA was in the shop. It may be ugly but it rides great (except in a strong crosswind).

Greed4Speed
04-14-2003, 05:04 PM
I saw a travesty today. I don't know who makes it but it looks like a Del Sol wanna be SUV. Seriously, it looked like how a little kid draws a car with a short front and rear but with a tall but not very long roofline. Looked like a 2 seater, even had a little spoiler. Not like it would do anything because it was so much lower and close to the ****pit.

dearim
04-14-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Greed4Speed
I saw a travesty today. I don't know who makes it but it looks like a Del Sol wanna be SUV. Seriously, it looked like how a little kid draws a car with a short front and rear but with a tall but not very long roofline. Looked like a 2 seater, even had a little spoiler. Not like it would do anything because it was so much lower and close to the ****pit.

I think you're talking about the Suzuki X-90. It was basically Suzuki's Aztek.

http://autos.msn.com/vip/singleyear.aspx?modelid=2682&src=vip

As for styling mistakes, there's also the new Acura TSX. It too is a sufferer of the cut-off-butt problem, and the front isn't very nice either. The side view is horrible! Nowhere near as elegant looking as my old Integra. They really should have just done a four-door RSX.

VTECSiGAH8R
04-15-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by dearim
As for styling mistakes, there's also the new Acura TSX. It too is a sufferer of the cut-off-butt problem, and the front isn't very nice either. The side view is horrible! Nowhere near as elegant looking as my old Integra. They really should have just done a four-door RSX.

I really have absolutely no clue as to how someone can say the TSX suffers from such styling mistakes, especially when compared to all of the other mistakes made by other manufacturers and even Honda itself. The Honda Accord sedan here, for example, is horrible looking from the back and it truely has a cut off rear. But to me the TSX is pretty hot looking, and I think all the others in Europe and Japan that absolutely love the Honda Accord there would have to agree seeing as how the TSX is Honda's small midsize global platform or something like that, aka the Euro and Japanese Accord.

In any case, I think the TSX has a very balanced, edgy, and appealing design. To me it kinda makes me sad that it is soooooo hard for GM to realize how to design a car that beautiful more often.

And although I like the Integra, I just never got used to the hood/front fascia design of the newer model ones with the 4 bubble headlights.

red rocket
04-15-2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by VTECSiGAH8R
The Honda Accord sedan here, for example, is horrible looking from the back and it truely has a cut off rear.

The previous generation Camry definitely had the tail end chopped off. It was the most hideous of the hideous Camrys.

Although people have bad things to say about the current Monte Carlo, the previous MC from the mid-90's was the most pathetic excuse for a MC. It was just so blahhh.

Mike3800
04-15-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by ohiograndam
I had to use my mom's Aztek last week because my GA was in the shop. It may be ugly but it rides great (except in a strong crosswind).

A freshly dented up Caddy rides nice too, but a dented up CTS still looks better than the Aztec.

Jeremy
04-15-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Slim25

so when they export the car to a right side driving country, all they have to do is switch the glovebox/airbag with the steering wheel. Cost cutting idea. I agree it looks like crap.

zegoldfish
04-15-2003, 10:07 PM
I can't really think of any car styling I absolutely detest. Honda Element is really more about functionality than styling... but it actually kinda grew on me. Aztek... well... to each his own. Not my cup 'o tea but it's not that bad.

But, as far as some mods go... there are a TON of little things that bother me when it comes to what people will put on their cars.

The biggest are... lights in windshield washer jets. Lights in wheels. Underbody neons. Basically, any neons outside the car. Lowering your car to 3/4" off the ground. HUGE, purposeless wings. Any of these things make me absolutely cringe when I see them.

EDIT: I forgot about the PT Cruiser. I absolutely HATE anything and everything about that car.

Mike3800
04-16-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by zegoldfish
I can't really think of any car styling I absolutely detest.

EDIT: I forgot about the PT Cruiser. I absolutely HATE anything and everything about that car.

What's wrong with the PT? I didn't like it at first but for some reason I like it now, especially since they gave it a turbo.

Silver02EX
04-16-2003, 01:04 PM
Civic's (non Type R) with Type R badge or older civics with Honda racing windshield banners on them.

dearim
04-17-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by VTECSiGAH8R
I really have absolutely no clue as to how someone can say the TSX suffers from such styling mistakes, especially when compared to all of the other mistakes made by other manufacturers and even Honda itself. The Honda Accord sedan here, for example, is horrible looking from the back and it truely has a cut off rear. But to me the TSX is pretty hot looking, and I think all the others in Europe and Japan that absolutely love the Honda Accord there would have to agree seeing as how the TSX is Honda's small midsize global platform or something like that, aka the Euro and Japanese Accord.

In any case, I think the TSX has a very balanced, edgy, and appealing design. To me it kinda makes me sad that it is soooooo hard for GM to realize how to design a car that beautiful more often.

And although I like the Integra, I just never got used to the hood/front fascia design of the newer model ones with the 4 bubble headlights.

I guess beauty really IS all in the eye of the beholder...

zegoldfish
04-17-2003, 11:31 PM
What's wrong with the PT? I didn't like it at first but for some reason I like it now, especially since they gave it a turbo.

It all starts with my natural dislike for Chrysler since a 94 Intrepid burned down my garage. Take that and add the absolutely horrible look (IMHO) and you have a vehicle that I can't even stand to look at.

red rocket
04-18-2003, 05:36 AM
I drove in a co-worker's Camry yesterday. It is a 2000 mid-level model. This car is the dullest, most boring and sterile car ever made. There is nothing on the inside or outside that provides any excitement or stimulation during a driving session. I would be ready to trade that car in after two days. I don't know how people just buy cars as basic transportation. I guess they are not "enthusiasts" like the rest of us.

Also - I hear they are reliable, but in checking this one out, I didn't see an abundance of quality. The doors were thin and tinny. The dashboard plastics weren't any better than the GA. The seat fabric was cheap. I like my GAGT seats better. Everything in the interior was the same color light gray. And the whole time I rode in the passenger seat, my head was right up against the grabhandle, smacking into it on every turn. Yeah, that's real safe. I think Toyota's got a lot of people snookered.

Furthermore - I don't know why the Camry gets the big rave reviews. If you need basic transportation, even the Buick Century is more exciting and has at least a hint of styling. I can't believe my parents have bought nothing but Camrys over the past 20 years.

Mike3800
04-18-2003, 08:31 AM
It all starts with my natural dislike for Chrysler since a 94 Intrepid burned down my garage. Take that and add the absolutely horrible look (IMHO) and you have a vehicle that I can't even stand to look at.

I guess if a vehicle burned down my garage, I probbably woouldn't purchase that brand ever again either, even if it was a Pontiac or the like.

I guess looks are in the eye of the beholder.

dearim
04-19-2003, 09:28 PM
I drove in a co-worker's Camry yesterday. It is a 2000 mid-level model. This car is the dullest, most boring and sterile car ever made. There is nothing on the inside or outside that provides any excitement or stimulation during a driving session. I would be ready to trade that car in after two days. I don't know how people just buy cars as basic transportation. I guess they are not "enthusiasts" like the rest of us.

Also - I hear they are reliable, but in checking this one out, I didn't see an abundance of quality. The doors were thin and tinny. The dashboard plastics weren't any better than the GA. The seat fabric was cheap. I like my GAGT seats better. Everything in the interior was the same color light gray. And the whole time I rode in the passenger seat, my head was right up against the grabhandle, smacking into it on every turn. Yeah, that's real safe. I think Toyota's got a lot of people snookered.

Furthermore - I don't know why the Camry gets the big rave reviews. If you need basic transportation, even the Buick Century is more exciting and has at least a hint of styling. I can't believe my parents have bought nothing but Camrys over the past 20 years.

Amen, bro. I have an aunt who swears by Toyotas, and I just can't see it.

Faylix
04-20-2003, 09:53 PM
Hah, I just realized this is a very addictive topic... I even got a quote out of it.