DEXCOOL Class Action Suit, in Process [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : DEXCOOL Class Action Suit, in Process

Monello
04-08-2003, 06:15 PM
I recieved a call today from a employee who works with class action suits. She asked me many questions regarding the Dex Cool product. When it failed in my car, how much it was to get fixed, etc. She asked me to fax over the bill for it. I told her about the Grand Am Club, and told her that there is well over 100 people who i know have also had this happen. She told me to have them call her and explain the event, and to also fax over the info.

So if you want to get anywhere from 500-800 bucks back, give her a call and be in the class action suit against GM!!

Ask for, "Emilia Fednan", i think thats her name, i was at work, and had to go, so i didnt ask her how to spell it =/

Phone number = (866) 981 - 4800
Fax number = (415) 981-4846

Licit
04-08-2003, 06:59 PM
What do you mean by failed in your car? Is it anything to do with the manifold gasket issue? Or mainly overheating issues? Thanks for the info either way.

Dr_Kyle
04-08-2003, 07:07 PM
thanks for the heads up! :thumbs:

GatorMan
04-08-2003, 08:34 PM
whats Dex Cool

Mike Jung
04-08-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by GatorMan
whats Dex Cool
GM Dex-Cool = extended life Antifreeze/Coolant for the engine.

Monello
04-08-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Licit
What do you mean by failed in your car? Is it anything to do with the manifold gasket issue? Or mainly overheating issues? Thanks for the info either way.

Meaning, it didnt last the 100k miles, it lasted 50k, causing my waterpump to go, and my gaskets to leak. Almost everyone on this board has run into this, or will soon. Dex cool eats gaskets, plain and simple.

A relative of the family did my repairs, he is a master mechanic at a chevy dealership. Get this, they have races on who can repair them the fastest, who can do it the fastest using 1 had. And some can even do it blind folded. This goes to show how many of these repairs they have done! He also told me the truth about this stuff. And how it causes premature engine failure. Bearings go, and stuff.

He had to flush my engine 4 times to get all of it out, and still recommended me to change the oil, 100miles later, 500miles later, and finally 3k later. This is what he does to his own cars or family cars to make sure it gets all the coolant out.

02PONtiac!
04-08-2003, 10:45 PM
Okay, so your basically telling us all that we have Dex-cool anitfreeze in our cars from the factory? I have a 2002 GAGT with 15,000 miles. Should I change my coolant asap so the noted problems won't happen?

Monello
04-08-2003, 10:52 PM
Every GM car has Dex cool. Im not implying anything about changing it. Do a search on Dex cool. I know theres a lot of discussions on it.

Craig99SE2
04-09-2003, 06:14 AM
Reasearching it online only brings up TONS of contradictory information. I have been checking into it for months now and have yet to find a site that "tells it like it is". Which makes me believe it is just another propoganda tool used by GM to make you buy their maintenance products.

When I get my heads done in a few weeks, I'm putting the green in and it'll stay in! :D

Broke'97GAowner
04-09-2003, 08:48 AM
My dad's malibou (same engine as 97 grand am's) started leaking at 70000, my GA is leaking at 74, both have dex cool. I saw the gaskets my dad took out, melted the heck outta one, ate away at the other.

DJWB
04-10-2003, 12:13 AM
Recently I posted saying I needed a new engine and left out gory details. But some of the gory details included the mechanic telling me that my coolant was contaminated and there were metal shavings in the oil pan. I also noticed that I was going through a lot of oil lately. Could this DEX-COOL problem have anything to with my engine failure?????? I would appreciate any help I can get.

Monello
04-10-2003, 12:45 AM
Yep, Dex cool in the engine, mixing with the oil, can kill you main bearings.

DJWB
04-10-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Monello
Yep, Dex cool in the engine, mixing with the oil, can kill you main bearings.

Well doesnt that suck. I was told by my mechanic that because I live in Italy, it would probably be cheaper to buy and ship a new engine here than to rebuild. I am going to have to look into contacting this lady that called you. Thanks again, this is going to change everything.

z5oh
04-13-2003, 12:28 PM
If i take the dexcool out of my 03 will the warranty be void?

Monello
04-14-2003, 12:13 AM
Yep =(

They did redesign their gaskets finally, which should help out.

Licit
04-14-2003, 01:31 AM
Monello, I had the exact symptoms in my car that you have had. My water pump went back at probably 40,000 miles and my gaskets(lower intake manifold) were leaking internally at 77,000 miles. Plus every year when I go back to Pennsylvania my inspection guy has been telling me to switch to green. I, of course, figured GM wouldn't be telling us it's a 5 year/100,000 miles gaurentee if it was a crap setup. Basically making the call will get us in on a possible class action suit? I'm just wondering if it will be something that will take a long time to get worked out.

fschambe
04-14-2003, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by Licit
Monello, I had the exact symptoms in my car that you have had. My water pump went back at probably 40,000 miles and my gaskets(lower intake manifold) were leaking internally at 77,000 miles. Plus every year when I go back to Pennsylvania my inspection guy has been telling me to switch to green. I, of course, figured GM wouldn't be telling us it's a 5 year/100,000 miles gaurentee if it was a crap setup. Basically making the call will get us in on a possible class action suit? I'm just wondering if it will be something that will take a long time to get worked out.

They tell you to keep it in there for that long because by then you're warranty is garanteed to be expired! Then when they service your engine they mysteriously find all these leaks and messed up gaskets!

Anyone who wants to rid their system: I tried the prestone flush kit and it works great! it splices a tee in the hose and has a coupler for your garden hose so you can keep clean water flowing through the system instead of having to do like 4-6 flush-fills and just be diluting the dexcool but keeping it there.

RIDNonDUBBS
04-14-2003, 07:24 AM
i had the same problem, with all my gaskets going bad. i am going to call that lady too. i spent $500 on the materials and i paid my friend to do the work i hope that will still count for the lawsuit.

DumpsterDamon
04-14-2003, 01:30 PM
if i buy a used GA how much approx would it cost to have the dex-cool swapped out?

max46er
04-14-2003, 06:34 PM
I checked my '03 GAGT and it has GREEN antifreeze in it. No mention of Dexcool on the overflow tank cap either! Has GM gone back to using regular anti freeze in the 2003s???

Monello
04-14-2003, 08:31 PM
ARE YOU SERIOUS?

They are the people saying that Dex cool is the only thing to be put in our engines, and designed for it!!

I cant believe they went back to the green stuff.

grandammodder
04-14-2003, 09:39 PM
Dex cool is crap...doesn't even last 60k....My friends intake gaskets went out and when I fixed his intake there was alot of gunk build up..i'll post pics later...i only use the green stuff now....

max46er
04-15-2003, 03:58 AM
Sorry, I was wrong :confused:
My 03 GAGT does have Dexcool. The printing on the cap is very small and I'm partially color blind (I swear it did look green!). Guess my age is starting to catch up with me!

Kalvin97GAGT
04-15-2003, 07:44 AM
lol that last post cracked me up, im doing a flush soon, probly gonna ditch the dex.. and put in some green w/ watter wetter.. my gaskets went at 70k

cousinD
04-16-2003, 06:43 PM
My gaskets went at 47,000 Miles. Under warranty thank god! What is the difference between the green and dexcool?? Can the green be any better? Thanks in advance.

VaGT
04-17-2003, 07:47 AM
http://www.imcool.com/articles/anitfreeze-coolant/dexcool-macs2001.htm

Just the other side of the story... and some very good tips on keeping your coolant system working properly.

I have seen, and have been PM'd by some very well respected GM employees that post on this board in support of the DexCool. I'm not convinced by reading a couple people's problems without knowing what they did or didn't do to their coolant system that may well have not been anything to do with DexCool.

neonboy
04-21-2003, 02:09 PM
My question to everyone is why is it only affecting the cars 3.4, 3.1 and so on and not the trucks. The truth is that the leaks are caused by a faulty gasket design and GM has corrected it in a recent campaign/recall.

Licit
04-21-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by neonboy
My question to everyone is why is it only affecting the cars 3.4, 3.1 and so on and not the trucks. The truth is that the leaks are caused by a faulty gasket design and GM has corrected it in a recent campaign/recall.

GM corrected what? Are you talking about the new screws they are using on the gasket replacement and the slightly different gaskets? In general that doesn't mean crap to those of us who aready shelled out a half $grand$ or more to replace them. If it was a recall they would be having dealerships fix it at no cost.
As for the reason for the 3.4l having problems it's supposed to be related to bad angles in the engine's design. That has been stated by a couple others, so I'm not positive it's the reason. I also had my mechanic tell me that they were using a 6 screw(there are 3 screws currently) gasket that was batter matched previous to 99+ GAGT's.

neonboy
04-22-2003, 06:07 PM
My mistake on words. It's not a recall but there has been a notice from GM for the mechanics that there has been a change in the gasket design. With enough complaints it may very well become a recall I would imagine. I had this problem with my car too and if it were a coolant problem I think every vehicle from 99 and up would be having the same problems and I don't mean just the cars. If I can get a copy of the bullitin from the shop forman I'll post it on here.

Tomato
04-25-2003, 12:58 PM
No one has problems with Dexcool in the GP comunity. hell my buddy had 117K miles on his GPGT and it was fine with Dexcool all its life.

my99gagt
05-07-2003, 06:46 AM
and recalls arent fixed for free btw unless ur under warranty. and how would you know if ur gaskets were leaking?

atc3434
05-07-2003, 09:48 AM
A recall does get you the fix... in or out of warentey, first or twentyfirst owner... it doesn't matter. If it has the defective part, you can get it fixed. Parents had a GrandCaravan, a 94. The hatch motor recall was a freebie for us... even as 2nd owners, and 100k+ miles. It would be great if the lower gaskets became a recall. My cars owners never had them done. In fact, I don't think they ever opened the hood. Then again, it was probably ran over 65mph and no more than 4000 rpms...

Mike Jung
05-07-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by atc3434
...It would be great if the lower gaskets became a recall...
But a manufacturer recall is (I think) only issued for saftey defect/problem related matters.

Example:
If I roll my car over; the center console will not stay closed & all contents will fly out (like CD's, that wil be like knife edges).
This was an actually a GM saftey recall on my GA :rolleyes:

But they don't think our brakes are a saftey issue :confused: :huh:

atc3434
05-07-2003, 08:00 PM
Usually they are just safety, because they need to cover their @$$. The throttle linkage on my YZ125 got recalled cause it might stick... definatly don't want that too happen! But some times I have heard and seen that they will recall other things. The gaskets would be awesome. I'm going to the dealer in a week to see if they will spring for part of the job... who knows, might get lucky. I've heard others have had some sucsess with it.

my99gagt
05-08-2003, 07:06 PM
i dont think this whole lawsuit deal is for real. it sounds like more of a gimmick thing in my opinion

LuccianoDuckman
05-12-2003, 02:51 PM
Wow scarry. I was not aware of this problem until I saw this thread. My '01 GASE had to go back at 28k miles for a new water pump. Geez. I'm going to flush my system this weekend and refill with Prestone.

LuccianoDuckman
05-12-2003, 03:02 PM
Has anyone here flushed and refilled with Presone and driven the car for a long period of time with the green in it? The reason I ask is because I'm concerned about the cooling system and whatever adverse affects may result from changing coolant.

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks.

LuccianoDuckman
05-12-2003, 03:22 PM
Ok so how about this:

These people are saying that it's not Dex-Cool's fault, but a possible problem with the coolant system design...

Licit
05-22-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by LuccianoDuckman
Ok so how about this:

These people are saying that it's not Dex-Cool's fault, but a possible problem with the coolant system design...

Thanks for the link, it had some good info in it. One thing though, when they say fill the reservoir to the "hot level" when the system is cold what does that mean? Above the full cold arrow we have on our reservoirs?
Also has anyone heard more regarding what this thread started out saying?

SmokinGT00
05-27-2003, 09:32 PM
I cleaned my engine this past weekend and my friend's fiance showed me that I have a minor leak (I'm also missing a bolt on my tranny...isn't that nice). He told me it's crap, to go to the green stuff.

dearim
05-28-2003, 11:06 PM
I have a buddy who happens to be a GM mechanic, and he says he's never seen a problem with Dex-Cool, and likes it a lot compared to the green stuff. He's been working on them since before GM intruduced D-C, so I'd say he's probably right.

ArcticGT
05-29-2003, 06:36 AM
My second set of gaskets are starting to leak and I only have 21,600 miles on the car:(

Black03SC/T
05-29-2003, 11:05 AM
Ok, now I didnt see anyone answer this so I am going to ask, are all of the 2003 Grand Ams with the 3.4 equipped with the new gasket, mainly the GT models, seeing as how I plan on getting a Black 2003 Grand Am SC/T Coupe really soon, I was just wondering, thanks in advance for the info, later.:cheers:

cavingman
05-29-2003, 11:19 AM
I got a letter in the mail the other day from a lawyer asking me if i still had copys of my reciept from my engine swap in my 94 due to coolant ruining the internals.
unfortunately i dont have a copy of it :\

armith
05-29-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by LuccianoDuckman
Has anyone here flushed and refilled with Presone and driven the car for a long period of time with the green in it? The reason I ask is because I'm concerned about the cooling system and whatever adverse affects may result from changing coolant.

Thanks.

From what I have heard.. the Green just needs to be changed sooner (36k) than the Dexcool (100k).

But since most of us are getting our gaskets replaced and waterpumps replaced every 40k or less and they usually put all fresh coolant in anyways.. so I don't see where there is any gain other than it being a new psychadelic color.. When I get my gaskets done I'm going green.. I'll just flush it every year or so if I have to.

tbone
05-29-2003, 02:28 PM
So now that I've read some of this I'm getting more concerned about a couple recent events.
I drive a 2000 I4 sedan I've got 58000 Km (36000Miles) on it and this summer I have noticed that the coolant was low and slightly darker (as well as running hotter (I noticed because even on the hottest days the car never went above 90Deg C I watched it cause I was impressed) this was topped up at my next oil change (at a dealer so I hope they did it right)
Lately the engine has been choking usually when running at 2000 rpm but not always, Itís also been idling rough. do I have a DexCool problem a or just and unfortunate warrantees up sucker situation?

Brother's1999
05-30-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by cavingman
I got a letter in the mail the other day from a lawyer asking me if i still had copys of my reciept from my engine swap in my 94 due to coolant ruining the internals.
unfortunately i dont have a copy of it :\

Thats ok the 1994s didn't use dexcool.

fireshadow540
05-31-2003, 11:43 PM
hey tbone you might wanna check your spark plugs.. i have a 2000 ga se and about every 40k i have to rplace them.. i have noticed that so far this last set is working a tad bit better than the rest i am using a set of bosch plat.2's not the 4's but the 2's they run about 3.00 a piece at pepboys... but it sounds like you might need a change of plugs.. my 86' did the same thing for some reason i guess it has something to do with the dis.pack? but you may wanna try that first if you havent yet..

schizm99
06-01-2003, 02:38 AM
That is the whole freakin reason my 97 GA went....First the water pump, then the heater core. Then the main bearing...what the hell???

digitalballz
06-02-2003, 03:03 PM
i have a 2000 GAGT and i just got back from the dealer and they replaced my upper and lower gaskets but it was still under warranty should i have it switched ??

tbone
06-02-2003, 09:40 PM
Yeah I'm running the Platinum 4s, I replaced em about 4 months ago (bout my 4th set) but it all seems to be since the time I noticed the temp and coolant colour. But good suggestion, I didn't even think about it. Thanks Shadow

:cheers: Bones

asepgrad98
06-05-2003, 11:47 AM
Cars leaked coolant for a hundred years before Dex-cool came out!!! Some of you guys are grasping at straws. Just change the Dexcool out every 3yr/36k miles and you will NEVER have a coolant related failure.

usmcspy
06-07-2003, 02:12 AM
Well I've been running green for about 20,000 miles. Not because I was scared of Dex-Cool, but my car had an unfortuate collision with a super racoon (the thing's real weight was 50lbs) and the yokel mechanic didn't have any DC. No problems with the green stuff. Never runs a hair about 200F exept in totally stoped traffic then it's 210F

fireshadow540
06-07-2003, 08:21 AM
i have 124,583 mi on my 00 gase w/ dexcool i havent cahnged it out yet but plan to soon due to milage.. but havent had a bit of problems with it yet..

safemode
06-07-2003, 05:21 PM
I'm thinking about flushing my coolant but i'd be replacing it with new dex-cool because i dont think there has been enough evidence to prove it eats the gaskets.... If someone showed me a gasket in a container getting all eaten and one with the green stuff just fine then i'd be convinced. As it stands the more important thing is the gaskets themselves being defective. Does anyone have more info on how to go about getting them changed as a precautionary measure without paying or do we have to take engine damage before the warranty wil allow us to replace the old (eg, my 2001) gaskets for the newer ones?

XMBlackGT1
06-09-2003, 07:21 PM
I will be calling her about my 1996. It had 37K miles on it, and then engine block cracked. All in all, they told me the gasket leaked, causing the coolant to enter the engine, and crack the block. I have the 6,000 bill sitting in my desk, and am not afraid to fax it to her ASAP!!!!!!! Maybe, they will cover some of it.

And if my 03 starts leakin, i am going to be big time ****ed off!

2002GTCoupe
06-17-2003, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna have my shop check this stuff out for sure, and if need be flush the coolant and use GREEN instead.

my99gagt
06-17-2003, 04:49 PM
just use the damn orange stuff, theres nothing wrong with it. if u mix it, then ur screwed. and besides the gaskets and all are put together horribly. so the green stuff is not gonna be any better than the orange stuff

2002GTCoupe
06-17-2003, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the input! I'm definitely no car guru... when all my friends were into cars I was into computer programming, lol.

So I definitely appreciate any feedback here - especially since I LOVE this car.

Did I mention that I test drove 3 Mustangs (all three V6's no V8's... but I just didn't like the way they handled), a '77 'Vette (yeah I know, not the best year), a couple of different Dodge cars (which were pretty nice), a couple of Chryslers, Hondas, Toyotas, etc. AFTER I test drove this GAGT? ;)

After all of those cars, I had to go with this GT coupe, it just handled better and accelerated better (don't include the 'vette in that last part though... but that was completely impractical considering the winters we have here!)...

safemode
07-02-2003, 04:33 AM
Well, I decided to go with some preventive care and have the intake manifold gasket replaced before it failed. I know the head technician of the pontiac dealer ship my car is from so he got a mechanic to replace it for 300 bucks. Since i brought the car in all clean and waxed the mechanic also acid washed my rims for me since i hadn't been able to get them clean. He also did some extra checking of the engine. Pretty damn good deal considering people are spending 800+ for the new gasket.

Craig99SE2
07-02-2003, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by my99gagt
just use the damn orange stuff, theres nothing wrong with it. if u mix it, then ur screwed. and besides the gaskets and all are put together horribly. so the green stuff is not gonna be any better than the orange stuff

Where do you people get your info? THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH MIXING IT OTHER THAN REDUCING THE LIFE OF THE DEX-COOL!!! It's right on the damn Texaco page ... you know ... the people that actually MAKE IT!!! Go read!!!!

my99gagt
07-02-2003, 03:35 PM
ya there shouldnt be, but when you combine mixing it and a poorly built gasket and all together, then theres trouble

ChaosKid420
07-20-2003, 08:44 AM
K Wait... I have a 98 GA GT with the 2.4... would this be effecting me cuz the other day all of my coolant leaked out and I can't find from where. I filled it back up and it hasn't leaked since and the low coolant light went away. Anyone know what could be the problem with mine?

JClintonB
07-31-2003, 05:04 PM
This is the link for the Texaco Page.

http://www.havoline.com/products/na/antifreeze.html

01GAGTNY
09-11-2003, 12:27 PM
I have a 2001 GT and drain and change the dexcool anti-freeze every year. Keeping it new will keep your gaskets intact. Also disconnect the coolant reservior, and clean it real good. Even though I replace dexcool once a year, it still makes this brown gook in the reservior, and I try my best to keep it out of the engine. Also your upper hose will not last 3 years with the stuff.

2002GTCoupe
09-11-2003, 07:57 PM
brown gunk!!! ew!!!

zootelevision
09-27-2003, 10:02 AM
So I've read numerous posts, and done a number of searches here and on the web about DEXCOOL. And have found the following three opinions to be the most common:

#1. DEXCOOL eats away at you gaskets, and may eventually cause them to leak resulting major repair costs.

#2. DEXCOOL is not at fault, but the angles in engine design and poorly designed gaskets are, which causes the leaks.

#3. DEXCOOL works fine so long as you change it every 25,000 to 30,000 miles.

My conclusion then is that PONTIAC IS AT FAULT in one way or another. Either by poor design on their part, and/or for the use of DEXCOOL in the Grand Am.

I'm currently leasing a 2001 Grand Am, and am praying the gaskets hold till the end of my lease. I am considering buying a new Grand Am when my lease is up, but question if it's worth it or not if I'm going to have problems such as this, and with the ever popular warped rotor situation (it's happened twice on my car). Or should I be looking for a different car all together? I don't want to put up with the bull**** from the dealers, and the hassle of taking my car in if it will constantly need to be repaired.

Does anybody here have any comments or suggestions?

armith
09-27-2003, 03:31 PM
Who knows.. It could be dexcool, it could be the gaskets with the design of the engine..

My opinion is that all 3 are correct.. The design poor quality of gasket probably are part of the cause.. and I do think that the dexcool speeds up the process.

I can give you details and opinions.. but here are the facts on my particular 99 GAGT..

factory gaskets noticed there was NOT Dexcool when I bought the car.. Talked to the previous owner and he said he done a complete coolant flush just before he sold it to me.

Since then I have continued use of good old fashion green coolant (Prestone to be exact)

at 75k I noticed a little water around the gasket very soon after that my water pump began to leak, replaced the water pump and again replaced with green Prestone and my gasket leak doesn't seem to have gotten worse really.

As soon as I get a couple days off and quazi decent whether I intend on replacing my gasket with the "new" gasket that supposedly fixes this..

As for you leasing a new 04 GA.. Well supposedly the new gaskets went on by mid 03 model year and well the brakes I think your SOL on.. I don't think GM will ever do anything about them.

russtedgecko
10-07-2003, 02:54 PM
In the last week i have just started to notice great amounts of dex-cool leckage from around my belt (I have yet to diognoce the problem, due to belt spray from the leakage) Although it seem as if the water pump would be the problem!

So I thought this was a very odd problem at only 59,996 miles on my 2000 grand am I keep personaly well maintained. So i decided to see what the (net) had to say! In return I found this fourm which helped me alot! (I have experanced the brake faultys alot of other grand am owners are. I am not happy at all with my brakes but luckaly my freind works for a tire shop who has been able to keeep them up for me untill i can buy a new BEAR system at $1300.oo

The problem could also be in my gaskets that need replacing. I plan on buying a new water pump and gaskets. then flushing out my whole system and continue to use dex-cool, because by reading all of everyones input (including both sides) I dont see dex-cool to be the problem. Alought I will just have to wait and SEE!!!

I do see a problem with Pontiac eather way (water pumps just dont go at 60,000 miles and less) and in these #'s. The case being when I do fix the problem I will present in to Pontiac for their advice and explain to them that I think they should pay for it (I am very convincing !!! otherwise I will make a bigger deal out of it)

Good luck to all with this problem, The only way to fix a problem like this is by number and power! we must stick together and demonstrate to pontiac our values-to-theirs!!! (we today are so over driven by fear of nothing) Simply get a group off demonstrators at a dealership (boycotting this problem)!!! the dealership will push pontiac to fix!!! sometimes you have to make people listen to you!!! (I am a former GM employee myself, trust me it is all about money and power/// and our money is what powers their success!!! Prevent future sales and this with make a present fix!!

Give me people and I will rise to a answer in georgia. I myself am ready for the new release of the GTO but not under the history of the GAGT..

question:confused:
answer:rage:
outcome:thumbs:

2002GTCoupe
10-07-2003, 06:52 PM
Um. Ok.

illsmokeyou
10-08-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by zootelevision
So I've read numerous posts, and done a number of searches here and on the web about DEXCOOL. And have found the following three opinions to be the most common:

#1. DEXCOOL eats away at you gaskets, and may eventually cause them to leak resulting major repair costs.

#2. DEXCOOL is not at fault, but the angles in engine design and poorly designed gaskets are, which causes the leaks.

#3. DEXCOOL works fine so long as you change it every 25,000 to 30,000 miles.

My conclusion then is that PONTIAC IS AT FAULT in one way or another. Either by poor design on their part, and/or for the use of DEXCOOL in the Grand Am.

I'm currently leasing a 2001 Grand Am, and am praying the gaskets hold till the end of my lease. I am considering buying a new Grand Am when my lease is up, but question if it's worth it or not if I'm going to have problems such as this, and with the ever popular warped rotor situation (it's happened twice on my car). Or should I be looking for a different car all together? I don't want to put up with the bull**** from the dealers, and the hassle of taking my car in if it will constantly need to be repaired.

Does anybody here have any comments or suggestions?

yeah, turn the car in, and dont look back ;)

2002GTCoupe
10-08-2003, 09:16 PM
Heck, I like my GAGT. Haven't had any problems with it yet, except for the stupid driver's side window seems to be gunked up, I need to pull it out and clean everything so it will roll up all the way!

russtedgecko
10-09-2003, 09:13 AM
athough I have had the same window problem you are having> I had gotten it fixed. But now its starting to happen again (eventually it will break)

Licit
10-20-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Craig99SE2
Where do you people get your info? THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH MIXING IT OTHER THAN REDUCING THE LIFE OF THE DEX-COOL!!! It's right on the damn Texaco page ... you know ... the people that actually MAKE IT!!! Go read!!!!
That's an answer to your question Clyde. Myself I always use the Havoline GM DexCool approved orange stuff, but I am a creature of habit so I tend to just do the same thing and use the same stuff.

djrkd
10-26-2003, 08:57 AM
does anyone know the progress of the law-suit?

LukeD
10-27-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by 2002GTCoupe
brown gunk!!! ew!!!

If that is forming does that mean you need to flush?

XMBlackGT1
10-27-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by LukeD
If that is forming does that mean you need to flush?

You want to see brown gunk? Check out this pic- http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=267096 This is the engine from my 1996 gase coupe with the 3.1L v6. Car had 25,000 miles when this occured. Cracked head and cracked block- 7500 dollars later, the car worked. If you notice a leak, fix it RIGHT AWAY!. I let mine go for 2 months because I didnt know why it was leaking and boom- I had to get a new engine. That car got real expensive in a hurry.

LukeD
10-29-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by XMBlackGT1
You want to see brown gunk? Check out this pic- http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=267096 This is the engine from my 1996 gase coupe with the 3.1L v6. Car had 25,000 miles when this occured. Cracked head and cracked block- 7500 dollars later, the car worked. If you notice a leak, fix it RIGHT AWAY!. I let mine go for 2 months because I didnt know why it was leaking and boom- I had to get a new engine. That car got real expensive in a hurry.

OK so if I see brown gunk in my coolent that means something is leaking? I have 1500 miles left on my extended warrenty so if it is I need to fix it right away.

Slim
10-29-2003, 12:37 PM
The beige sludge in your coolant tank is something that forms over time. Just do a flush and fill and you're fine. It's when your oil starts turn into beige sludge you have a coolant leak.

LukeD
10-29-2003, 01:32 PM
ok beige now what is that again? is that a light brown. :D I'm not good with color names.

Matt's99GT
11-01-2003, 10:08 AM
In all honesty folks, no matter what antifreeze you use, and after reading this long novel of a thread, I would just stick to the time honored tradition and have the coolant flushed and filled at least every 2 years or between 24000 and 30000 miles. Stop and think about it for a moment...... What does a coolant flush and fill cost, maybe between $60 and $100 depending upon where you live for a shop to do it? Or maybe at most $20 if you did it yourself? In my mind, that little bit of cash is good insurance against an $800 bill for gasket replacement, or worse, a new engine. We all spend money on our cars for new rims, stereo systems, go fast parts, whatever........ I say change it sooner like it used to be done and save headaches. Yes this may go against what GM says about it being good to 100,000 miles, but I say the hell with the headaches. My cash is better spent on mods then this crap. I just bought my 99 in September, 43,000 mile on it. Mine will be flushed and filled within the next 3 weeks.

Flame suit on, just my two cents .

Matt

Undersexed
05-03-2006, 11:03 AM
Usually they are just safety, because they need to cover their @$$. The throttle linkage on my YZ125 got recalled cause it might stick... definatly don't want that too happen! But some times I have heard and seen that they will recall other things. The gaskets would be awesome. I'm going to the dealer in a week to see if they will spring for part of the job... who knows, might get lucky. I've heard others have had some sucsess with it.

Some interesting info... Most companies will not issue a recall if the money made minus lawsuit payouts still yields a net profit... Found this out a few years ago when a friend of mine was involved in a rollover in a geo tracker. She received a gag order as part of her settlement through GM/Suzuki though...

SE'sarecool2
05-05-2006, 04:53 PM

Thanks.
I bought my '01 GASE in Sept of '03 and it had Dex-Cool in it and 29,200 miles on the car. I got a copy of all the work the dealer did. At the top of the list which included replacing 2 injectors(one at 4076 and one 20463 miles) was... you guessed it... Lower Intake Gasket Replacement - at 28,442 miles! The first thing I did was have the Dex-cool replaced with the green stuff. I have changed the coolant twice since then without any problems. I'm still on my original water pump. I just turned 51,200 miles the other day....

Moral of the story- If you own a Grand Am/Malibu/Alero get rid of the Dex-Cool. Use green EG coolant. Change your coolant regularly- AT LEAST once every 2 years.

Panacea
05-05-2006, 09:30 PM
I bought my '01 GASE in Sept of '03 and it had Dex-Cool in it and 29,200 miles on the car. I got a copy of all the work the dealer did. At the top of the list which included replacing 2 injectors(one at 4076 and one 20463 miles) was... you guessed it... Lower Intake Gasket Replacement - at 28,442 miles! The first thing I did was have the Dex-cool replaced with the green stuff. I have changed the coolant twice since then without any problems. I'm still on my original water pump. I just turned 51,200 miles the other day....

Moral of the story- If you own a Grand Am/Malibu/Alero get rid of the Dex-Cool. Use green EG coolant. Change your coolant regularly- AT LEAST once every 2 years.

For the last focking time, it's not the god damned coolant.

SE'sarecool2
05-07-2006, 08:25 AM
For the last focking time, it's not the god damned coolant.
Whatever. I was just saying that I have had no averse effects from using regular EG coolant for the last 20,000 miles. That's the question that was asked.

lone_wolf025
05-07-2006, 08:39 AM
Regardless of whether or not it is the coolant, the fact of the matter is that 100,000 miles is the max life of the coolant. In reality it may last all that time or it may not, but its always a good idea to inspect the condition of the coolant every 20,000 miles. After all the oem spark plugs are supposed to last 100,000 miles too, but those of us who don't replace them would still pop em out every so often so clean and gap them...or at least I would.

Moral of the story: Always check your stuff regardless of how long it CAN last.

SE'sarecool2
05-07-2006, 08:48 AM
Moral of the story: Always check your stuff regardless of how long it CAN last.
*iagree* It's called preventive maintenance... a lot of people don't know what it means.

SmokinGT00
05-23-2006, 06:26 PM
I just went through this with my car. I started having problems with it about 3 years ago. I had to add coolant. I ended up replacing the coolant cap. A couple years after that is when everything went south. I had it flushed late last year, and it started leaking on the ground about 2 months ago, and I ended up on the side of the road with no coolant. I've replaced the intake gasket, (it still leaked) then the water pump. After all of that, I still ended up with no coolant, but now it wasn't dripping down, it was going through my exhaust. Around $2400 later, with a new head gasket, my car is finally back to normal. I got lucky that with overheating I didn't crack the block, it could have been much worse. What $hitty gaskets they put on our cars, it's ridiculous.

gspotcustoms
05-31-2006, 06:18 PM
My car is a 2000 Grand Am GT. I have 109,000 miles on it and i just had a major tune-up done about a month and a half ago where i had all the fluids flushed and filled and noticed that there was a sort of moss growing in the radiator overflow tank. Just a week ago i noticed the car was getting really hot. I went in to have my mechanic change the thermostat and he said the radiator was darn near dry. I had less then a quart of coolant in the radiator. He then showed me that the intake manifold gasket was really bad and needed to be replaced. Long story short with my car having 109,000 miles would i still be eligable to participate in this suit.

tj19855
06-07-2006, 08:09 PM
happen to me 2 $3000 it cost me had to replace everything. first check your coolant resevoir. dex cool makes that gummy gooy stuff getting flushed!!!! every yr or so

99GTCoupe
06-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Hey all, just got directed here from GM Performance Tuning on an unrelated issue. I saw this though and had to look. Basically, what is the status of the suit? What are the limitations? Last week I bought a 1999 GT Coupe and love it. I had a smal problem earlier today with my driver pwr window, but now I see this and hope that I don't have an even bigger problem. The guy I bought it from had the radiator flushed already, but I just took a look and unfortunately I still have the damn Dex-Cool in it. I don't have the money currently to get it flushed properly, so what should I do abotu all this? The car has 109k miles on it currently.

B0000rt
06-12-2006, 11:28 AM
After all the oem spark plugs are supposed to last 100,000 miles too, but those of us who don't replace them would still pop em out every so often so clean and gap them...or at least I would.
You're not supposed to regap Platnium plugs.

eric99gt
06-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Hey all, just got directed here from GM Performance Tuning on an unrelated issue. I saw this though and had to look. Basically, what is the status of the suit? What are the limitations? Last week I bought a 1999 GT Coupe and love it. I had a smal problem earlier today with my driver pwr window, but now I see this and hope that I don't have an even bigger problem. The guy I bought it from had the radiator flushed already, but I just took a look and unfortunately I still have the damn Dex-Cool in it. I don't have the money currently to get it flushed properly, so what should I do abotu all this? The car has 109k miles on it currently.

keep the dexcool. Get the coolant tested. See if it's still good. If so you're good to go.

99GTCoupe
06-12-2006, 12:09 PM
So what's the problem then? The coolant just goes bad faster than it should? I thought it was a problem with it being bad in general. I think he had it flushed at 98k, so I would think it's still fine. Thanks though :)

eric99gt
06-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Dexcool is not bad........misinformed vocal view. The problem is the LIM design. Perform regular maintenance just like any other car and you'll be golden

99GTCoupe
06-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Lim?

eric99gt
06-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Lower Intake Manifold (LIM).

99GTCoupe
06-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Ah, gotcha. I'm probably gonna get the above mention Prestone flush kit with the hose hookup and totally flush it all out eventually, then put the time-tested green stuff back in just to be safe though :)

JohnnyB4439
06-25-2006, 06:17 PM
ive had dexcool for 96k miles, no problems

gaowners32
07-07-2006, 08:32 AM
you have an se 2.4 this problem is with 3.4 engines.

Like i have mine in right now for over heating problems i really hope that it isnt the LIM since my car is the model year they changed the gaskets because of the problem.

Does anyone know the tech service number for the repair on the gaskets?

HeyMelo27
07-19-2006, 10:28 PM
has anyone replaced the gaskets themselves? i work at a mazda dealership so i have the means to replace it as far as tools and such...just wondering if its worth it and if i there are any "upgraded" parts i can install in the meantime like an intake manifold etc.

The_Wraith
08-03-2006, 01:19 PM
you have an se 2.4 this problem is with 3.4 engines.

Like i have mine in right now for over heating problems i really hope that it isnt the LIM since my car is the model year they changed the gaskets because of the problem.

Does anyone know the tech service number for the repair on the gaskets?

What year did they change the gasket? Mine is a '04 but the car was built in 5/03.

MrBlaine
08-06-2006, 12:35 PM
hi just joined this club, heard about this dex cool prob. was going to switch to green but, thinking no cause if there is a class action lawsuit i want in, i have a 2002 gagt1, no leaks (yet), i had the cat replace cause it was clogged, freebie, wonder why it clogged, burning to rich? wrong spark plugs? i had over heating problems sometimes it goes to like 230 240, i go through oil about 1 qt every 500 miles, is this normal, which spark plugs should i be using, is there anything new on the class action lawsuit, can i get anything done to my gaskets if there not leaking or do i wait till they start leaking, when i tromp on the motor i mean pull out very fasts i hear a nasty rattle in the motor so i don't do that no more, seems i'm laking a bit of power also, or i'm just getting used to the car, its got 74k on it, the other nite someone smashed it in walmarts parking lot, they have insurance so it will be fixed, the front end was trashed but it was drivable, maybe theres a way i can get that new sc/t hood for it, i'm sure its gonna need a new paint job, maybe the sqeaking from the front brakes will be fixed also...anyway someone update me on this class action lawsuit deal if there really is one, or if one is underway...i also was told by the oil changing guy that it was something about air mixing with the coolent and causing it to cake up, don't seem to do it with the suv's but anyway enough rambling...thanks for reading
MrBlaine

golddbz2000
08-10-2006, 11:32 AM
ok mr blaine, learn how to use proper paragraph form and repost. that is a nightmare to read

MrBlaine
08-11-2006, 11:54 AM
well excuse me, i could read it just fine, it was late and i'm not the smartest person in these forums, maybe you could retype it and make pretty the way you want it, then re-read it and answer my F#@king questions.......please

thanks
improper paragraph former

Ajaxus
08-11-2006, 11:58 AM
i made it four lines in and quit, that really is hard to read.

first i would recommend running some searches for any problem's you're experiencing, the answers are most likely here.

Quaf069
10-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Hey all.

i believe I am having issues in regards to Dexcool. I have a pending repair/replacement of my water pump, lower and upper gasket (about $1000). I had my coolant system flushed less than a year ago and its full of sluge again.

I live in NY and am wondering how I get involved in this suit, or if anyone else has suggestions on what to do.

Thanks

scooby2
10-24-2006, 07:54 AM
I finally got rid of my 99 se2 bought in May 1998. 140k miles, 3 water pumps, two LIM gasket replacements (these are just the cooling system issues, not all issues). Dexcool was flushed on average every 40k miles.

I couldn't get myself to buy another GM after all the issues with the GA that GM ignored (god damn those warped brake rotors). Went with a Honda and could not be happier. Wish all of you luck and that your GA has better luck then the handful I used to hang out with.

Licit
10-25-2006, 07:11 AM
Hey all.

i believe I am having issues in regards to Dexcool. I have a pending repair/replacement of my water pump, lower and upper gasket (about $1000). I had my coolant system flushed less than a year ago and its full of sluge again.

I live in NY and am wondering how I get involved in this suit, or if anyone else has suggestions on what to do.

Thanks

There is no lawsuit and there never will be. A suggestion for you, sell your Grand Am. Sold my 99 GAGT a year ago for $4500 with 99,000 miles on it. Had gone through 1 LIM gasket replacement. The girl who bought it from me just had to get the head gasket replaced, sucks to be her!

jaketuff
10-29-2006, 12:18 PM
The girl who bought it from me just had to get the head gasket replaced, sucks to be her!

But also seems she got focked too, so hopefully it's all good.

OUT

apl111
11-01-2006, 11:30 AM
I havent been back on the site for a few monthes but you all are beating a dead horse. Class action means you split the money with the other million Grand Am owners which means you do not get reimbursed totally for the repair, far from it. You will be extremely lucky to see anything only the laywers make out in class action suits. Gm will settle for the lowest amount possible divide that by the number of owners and you have this formula
GM money/owners=you are screwed

tj19855
09-11-2008, 10:01 AM
My ga was totalled 2 yrs ago, and that samething happen dex cool ate away everything is was like a gummy substance before 100K and clogged all my system, eventually head gasket cracked from over heating, i had to pay around $3000, so call this lady?

ApacheTaz
09-28-2008, 09:44 AM
I bought my car in Jan 08, just had to replace my Headgasket two months ago... Paid $1000 for a friend mechanic to fix it.. I have been told about this from a co worker.. this site helps with explaining all the info!!

dexcoolsettlement.com

You can fill out the claim online, you will just need to prove you owned the car during the repairs and a invoice of the repairs..

http://i38.tinypic.com/6pc13p.png

2003SCT
10-01-2008, 12:28 PM
http://www.dsengine.com/gmgasket/index.html

Anyone seen this? What does everyone think? Worth a sticky?

CHRIS

SikMindz
02-23-2009, 06:00 PM
I need to go back and check my paperwork but I received 2 checks today for 2 separate claims I filed. Total amount was only around $500 but I'm pretty sure I claimed around $14-1600.

Grr...

RPO3
02-23-2009, 06:28 PM
I just recently got Dexxcool out of my car in November after i heard about all
the **** that they put GM engines through. I did it when my car was at 38k miles
on it, so hopefully i am in the clear =(

Mattyj724
02-23-2009, 06:39 PM
i just mut dex cool in my car... ****

zukiracer19
02-25-2009, 09:23 AM
is dexcool still bad for ur gasketrs?? they didnt change compound or anything?? it doesnt matter what coolant we use in our cars?? like prestone?

00GAgtguy
03-26-2009, 05:30 AM
I actually have 2-2000 grand am gt's with over 110,000 on them. Still have the original coolant in them, (yes i know they need to be flushed) but neither of them have had ANY cooling problems. I think it doesnt have as much to do with the coolant as it does with the general design. Either that or i have just gotten very lucky. With all that said, im going green just for safety's sake when i flush 'em. :leg

RPO3
03-26-2009, 08:40 AM
I actually have 2-2000 grand am gt's with over 110,000 on them. Still have the original coolant in them, (yes i know they need to be flushed) but neither of them have had ANY cooling problems. I think it doesnt have as much to do with the coolant as it does with the general design. Either that or i have just gotten very lucky. With all that said, im going green just for safety's sake when i flush 'em. :leg

I was about to say knock on wood

Darkstarracing
04-07-2009, 11:20 AM
I just dealt with all this dexcool crap on my car. i had to put it in the shop twice! with over 1400 in cost..does any one know whats going on with this now? every thing i have seen says its closed..

westerndragon
04-17-2009, 03:48 PM
http://www.girardgibbs.com/dexcool.html

I just found this

SikMindz
04-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Already got money back.

Pontiac GIRL
09-04-2009, 08:14 AM
I had my head gaskets replaced too and got in on this class action law suit and it paid for my car repairs. damn dex coolant. GM still won't take responisbility for it and quit using this coolant. dumb asses

stillriza
09-05-2009, 06:14 AM
I had my head gaskets replaced too and got in on this class action law suit and it paid for my car repairs. damn dex coolant. GM still won't take responisbility for it and quit using this coolant. dumb asses

it's already been proven it is not the coolant that is at fault, it is the crappy gaskets..you need a newer style gasket im not sure of the part number...but i know the diff is the old ones were made with some sort of plastic compound where as the new ones use a metal compound... more info is on here somewhere.

AmIGrand
09-05-2009, 09:14 PM
I couldn't find the receipts for the whole ****in' engine I bought for the my '99 GT because of a failed LIMG, I got a deal on the work, only cost me $1,553. They wouldn't accept an American Express bill showing the charge, wanted the original receipt. Like I had that 4 years and 4 moves after turning the car in from the lease. :rolleyes:

AaronGTR
09-05-2009, 11:54 PM

it's already been proven it is not the coolant that is at fault, it is the crappy gaskets..you need a newer style gasket im not sure of the part number...but i know the diff is the old ones were made with some sort of plastic compound where as the new ones use a metal compound... more info is on here somewhere.

They also don't use the same dex cool now either. They are on a different formula than before, but anyway as was mentioned it wasn't the coolants fault. It was the gasket design and material.

evabuick
09-27-2009, 01:43 AM
doing business china (http://www.jyschinabusiness.com/news/business-with-doing-business-china.html)
sell in china (http://www.jyschinabusiness.com/news/selling-sell-in-to-china.html)
china business development (http://www.jyschinabusiness.com/news/china-economic-business-development.html)
Sale in China (http://www.jyschinabusiness.com/news/sales-in-china.html)

PhantomLover007
09-27-2009, 08:30 AM
doing business china (http://www.jyschinabusiness.com/news/business-with-doing-business-china.html)
sell in china (http://www.jyschinabusiness.com/news/selling-sell-in-to-china.html)
china business development (http://www.jyschinabusiness.com/news/china-economic-business-development.html)
Sale in China (http://www.jyschinabusiness.com/news/sales-in-china.html)

:postal::spam:

AaronGTR
09-27-2009, 10:22 AM
HAha yeah. Name is evabuick... but says they have a '02 grand am gt coupe... but location is shanghai. :rolleyes: yeah, ok. They never sold the grand am in china.

2003SCT
09-27-2009, 11:55 AM
That might have been the Buick Grand Am Spec-C model. Out of the box, one of the fastest factory tuned performance cars ever. Shanghai F1 Race Circuit times never thought possible by a FWD car. Just kidding but a car that would have been cool.

CHRIS