is Ford really this sad? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : is Ford really this sad?

Greed4Speed
04-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Ok, I was out and about test driving cars for kicks and giggles. Went to a Ford dealership and asked about a GT. Well, they didn't have any, but they had V6's. I kid you not, a salesman actually told me that I'd be better off with the 6 because it had more power than the V8. If this is true, how sad of a statement is that for Ford? I've never heard a GM salesman say that about an F-body.

Static
04-09-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Greed4Speed
Ok, I was out and about test driving cars for kicks and giggles. Went to a Ford dealership and asked about a GT. Well, they didn't have any, but they had V6's. I kid you not, a salesman actually told me that I'd be better off with the 6 because it had more power than the V8. If this is true, how sad of a statement is that for Ford? I've never heard a GM salesman say that about an F-body.

Ironic thing is, the fastest STOCK F-Body was a 6! It was the 25th, I believe, Anniversery TA, had a turbo 3.8! :D

Greed4Speed
04-09-2003, 07:29 PM
A turbo is something all together different. Especially one that is a limited edition like the Turbo TA. The fastest production pickup was a GMC Syclone (AWD,turbo, 6cyl) until the Lightnings. I don't think a stock turbo TA could outrun a new SS/WS6 or Firehawk though. It would be close.

This was just a regular run of the mill 6 banger Mustang.

Static
04-09-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Greed4Speed
A turbo is something all together different. Especially one that is a limited edition like the Turbo TA. The fastest production pickup was a GMC Syclone (AWD,turbo, 6cyl) until the Lightnings. I don't think a stock turbo TA could outrun a new SS/WS6 or Firehawk though. It would be close.

This was just a regular run of the mill 6 banger Mustang.

I get what your saying, a turbo does change everything! :cool:
Ive seen a couple of the turbo TA's run, and man they are freaking quick... :)

Anyways, Car and Driver, the show, did a special for the 35th TA, comparing it to and showcasing all the other TA's, and they said the turbo was the fastest, yes C&D said the turbo 6 outran an M6 LS1! :eek:

SC/T02
04-09-2003, 08:39 PM
It is funny that they did not test tuner cars, Firehawk, BlackBird, Comp TA, Mecham, etc. If they went that route my 01' BlackBird edition from Carl Black was the fastest production TA ever made. On stock street tires it can easily run a 12.6. The fastest old TA was the 1973 Trans Am 455 SD 7.6L that on skinny tires ran a 13.1. If you could get it to hook up IE: bigger tires those were mid 12 second cars. Other than the 2 mentioned the turbo 20th anniversary 1989 was the fastest.

red rocket
04-10-2003, 06:00 AM
I visited my local Ford dealer's lot last Sunday, and a few of their cars were open to check out. I was not able to drive any of them, obviously. But I noticed the interiors of most Ford vehicles really looked and felt CHEAP. I got back in my Grand Am and noticed an immediate difference in quality.

BTW - they had a few Mach 1's and Cobras. They were adding $3000-$5000 market adjustment to the MSRP. What a joke!

Bailey Man
04-10-2003, 06:07 AM
Yeah, not all salesmen are all there. I went to a ford dealer asking about a 03 Cobra. He sadi they were not an SVT dealer and could not sell them. SO I said OK where can I go in Dayton to look at one. He said there was not a dealer in Dayton and I would have to go to Cincy or Columbus to look at one. So I called around and Planet Ford wich is 15 miles from the dealer I went to sadi they had 2 of them and they were an SVT dealer. Either they guy thought I was dumb or he really did not know.

And they wanted 3000$ over the sticker for the Cobra. I said No.

Not2OLD
04-10-2003, 06:14 AM
There's an old saying about salesmen...

How can you tell when they're lying?

Their lips are moving!

Fortunately this is going away. The up and coming salespeople know they better know their stuff, because the consumers spelled, b-u-y-e-r-s are more knowledgable than ever. Especially with the performance enthusiasts.

On another note, has anybody seen the Ford commercials for the 5 dollar a day lease??

What a joke! You need close to 3 grand down to get the 5 dollar a day lease. and yes it is a lease.
Sheeesh

Such a favor they are doing for America:nono:

Greed4Speed
04-10-2003, 08:13 AM
Come to think of it, I've heard this on Ford trucks too. That the 300 cui I6 has more torque than they're V8. This was on a 92 pickup. To me thats just saying,"Our V8's are under engineered POS's."