Hydrogen fueled cars [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Hydrogen fueled cars

Greed4Speed
05-06-2003, 09:20 AM
It seems the current ecocar is going to start leaning towards the hydrogen fuel concept. Anyone else see potential problems for this??? High pressure hydrogen, very explosive.....High pressure oxygen, makes flamable things burn hotter or easier. I wonder what a car would look like with after a wreck running this. I'm sure the tanks will be difficult to rupture and sheilded, but what about the fuel lines. Combustion using these 2 gases is what NASA uses for lift off. Look what happened to the Challenger with just a bad O-ring.

SonoLoCo
05-12-2003, 11:13 AM
I feel that... maybe we should just stick to combustion engines or learn to Flintstone it around town!

... I still think electricity is the best "alternative" for the time being.

Greed4Speed
05-12-2003, 12:18 PM
Yes and no. How much pollution is generated to create the electricity that would be consumed by all electric cars? Coal fired power plants are the major source for acid rain.

Having worked in a catalytic converter plant I've seen how much pollution is produced creating cat converters. It may not be emmissions, but it is waste. It seems the EPA is always willing to trade one problem for another.

Kitt
05-12-2003, 06:09 PM
i still dont see an reasonable explination why there havent been a new nuclear power plant since the 70s. Technology has advanced so far and yet people are still scared easily.

Greed4Speed
05-21-2003, 03:36 PM
NIMBY is alive and well! (NIMBY= not in my back yard)

Panacea
05-21-2003, 07:58 PM
I believe the cars would be running on Liquid Hydrogen, which isn't flamable? Dunno, but I'm all for it.

As for the Nuclear Power plants... Sure we may be more advanced, but things break down. I'd rather have a coal plant "meltdown" than have a nuclear power plant melt down!!!!

I'm waiting for them to develop a fusion power plant. That'd be one hell of a plant :)