98 Lexus GS 300 [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 98 Lexus GS 300


PoloGT01
05-13-2003, 10:42 AM
Ok guys i need some serious help here!! Ok I had a 2001 Grand Am GT but I totalled it in April, plus I broke my femur....anyway Im looking for a new car but I dont want a Grand Am since everybody in my town and there grandma has one. I came across this 98 silver Lexus GS 300 last week and went to see it all I can say is AMAZING car the guy wants 10,000 dollars for it and it has 46,000 miles on it. It holds a WI salvaged title though for a side impact accident to the rear passenger door. Does that make it worth not buying?? The blue book on this vehicle is almost 30,000!!! It seems like a good deal (the door is all fixed and looks awesome) Should I get it or no?? Thanks for the help guys even though its not for a GA.

Thanks Matt

koolZ71
05-13-2003, 11:33 AM
do what u want...but i say drive it, take it to a shop, if everything seems in check and the frame is in good shape, go for it

Vintalage
05-13-2003, 11:35 AM
Are you sure you want to buy a car that was involved in an accident? I have also heard that the GS400 is better performance wise.

PoloGT01
05-13-2003, 11:43 AM
Well im pretty sure the Lexus GS400 is better performace wise kinda like the GA GT is to the GA SE its a higher model. But the GS300 is an awesome car!!! Its faster than my car was and sounds alot better! Plus the rear wheel drive is a nice change from all the FWD vehicles. Its only a side impact to the door but I guess I should have the shop check it out...how much do you think they charge for that?? I dont know but you will never find this car again for $10,000 dollars. Do you think a side impact is serious? I mean visually I cant find a single problem but I dont know deep down what might be wrong. Thanks for the help guys anything else is greatly appreciated. One more side note if you look at the body kits from toyota for it you might change your mind about the whole accident thing. IMO Thanks again

Vintalage
05-13-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by PoloGT01
Well im pretty sure the Lexus GS400 is better performace wise kinda like the GA GT is to the GA SE its a higher model. But the GS300 is an awesome car!!! Its faster than my car was and sounds alot better! Plus the rear wheel drive is a nice change from all the FWD vehicles. Its only a side impact to the door but I guess I should have the shop check it out...how much do you think they charge for that?? I dont know but you will never find this car again for $10,000 dollars. Do you think a side impact is serious? I mean visually I cant find a single problem but I dont know deep down what might be wrong. Thanks for the help guys anything else is greatly appreciated. One more side note if you look at the body kits from toyota for it you might change your mind about the whole accident thing. IMO Thanks again

Oh, i've seen this car hooked up. I love it. I always liked this car since it first came out. This is a car I would consider in the future as a second car. There are some websites I can refer you to. Just have to get it off my home computer. I'm at work right now.

PoloGT01
05-13-2003, 12:14 PM
Hey man I would appreciate that. I mean the body kit I found by blitz is only 599.99 and is sooooo sweet man. Oh I forgot to mention the guy has lowering springs, a K&N cone on a cold air intake, and 17inch mille migla rims (dont know if i spelled that right but....) so the car is pretty sweet. If you could send me those sites that would be awesome. Thanks Matt

Mike3800
05-13-2003, 12:20 PM
GS 300 gets outperformed by a Grand Am GT in every aspect with the exception of top speed (limter on the GA).

I would not buy it, it's one of those cars that makes you glad you ownb (or used to own) a less expensive better perfoming American sedan. I can't tell racing stories here so just take my word for it that it's slower etc... mag times (taken with a grain of salt) even can confirm this.

The GS 400 and 430 on the other hand is a completley different story as is the IS300.

PoloGT01
05-13-2003, 12:50 PM
Ok well thats funny you say that cause it wasted my buddies 2002 Grand Am GT. I dont wanna get in to the racing stories either but...........Anyway to each his own i guess besides I dont care about performace and speed if I wanted that id buy a porche. The fact is no "american performance sedan" even comes close to this car for 10k I mean u cant even get parts and body kits for most american cars I mean 1650 dollars for the GA body kit thats insane!!! The whole 4 peice kit is 599 on a lex just because its not fast dosnt matter, the ga isnt that fast either but they look awesome as does this car thats all i wanted none of the fast and furious crap. I just wanted to know if 10,000 dollars was a good buy on this car no that it dosnt perform well or its not fast............ Thanks again for your opinion.

By the way what car would you buy comparable to the lex for 10000 since you wouldnt buy the GS 300?

Vintalage
05-13-2003, 12:52 PM
http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/data/501/12035pict0049_s-med.jpg

One of many GS modded.

Here is the best forum I have:

www.clublexus.com

PoloGT01
05-13-2003, 01:04 PM
ok that picture alone says about a million words the lexus GS 300 is a great looking car I dont care if it isnt fast. Also that dosnt have the body kit on it!!! Thanks for the picture vintalage looks great!!

Matt

Mike3800
05-13-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by PoloGT01
By the way what car would you buy comparable to the lex for 10000 since you wouldnt buy the GS 300?

I would not buy a previously totalled car. That's the reason it's so cheap.

Cars priced like the Lexus should be if it hadn't been previously toasted that I'd consider buying:

Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Chevrolet Impala SS (the B body with the LT1 V8)
Buick Regal GS
Caddilac STS 300HP V8
Acura Legend or RL
Acura TL
Audi S4
2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 (goes for about 16-18K used)
BMW 540
Saab 9-5
The list would go on and on.... I'd say for sure that car, the LS and GS 300 I would not consider. Like I said GS and LS 400/430... different story, still if previously wrecked and salvaged, no thanks.

Note:
Must have been some drugs involved with the racing story you told. BTW I did not tell a racing story in this or any previous post.

Mike3800
05-13-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by PoloGT01
ok that picture alone says about a million words the lexus GS 300 is a great looking car I dont care if it isnt fast. Also that dosnt have the body kit on it!!! Thanks for the picture vintalage looks great!!

Matt

You might re-consider buying a salvage car, nasty problems can occur later that don't appear now.

If someone offered my dyno proven factory freak GTP back repaired, I would not take it except perhaps for parts.

PoloGT01
05-13-2003, 01:55 PM
First off the car is not totalled the back door got dented thats not totalled last time i checked and yeah the altimas, maximas, caddy, there awesome cars but perhaps you missed the 10000 dollar part I bought a new GAGT for 18,000 with payments around 400 a month there are lots of cars I want but obviously I dont have cause im not going to be making those kind of payments. Also i never said you were telling racing stories I simply said I didnt want to either. Sorry but there were no drugs involved in the race either just a street light and two vehicles. I have nothing against those vehicles you listed but to have this car for this price is a pretty good deal I think thats all I wanted to know like i said this isnt fast and the furious and I personally would rather pull up in a lex with some big chrome rims then a little compact **** burner!! Oh and one more thing if this car is so bad (minus the side impact accident) why does the 98 blue book at 30000 dollars and my 2001 Grand Am GT blue booked at 11500 thats pretty sad if you ask me just my .02 dont get me wrong I loved my GA but it wasnt worth the 18000 dollar price tag!

Vintalage
05-13-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by PoloGT01
First off the car is not totalled the back door got dented thats not totalled last time i checked and yeah the altimas, maximas, caddy, there awesome cars but perhaps you missed the 10000 dollar part I bought a new GAGT for 18,000 with payments around 400 a month there are lots of cars I want but obviously I dont have cause im not going to be making those kind of payments. Also i never said you were telling racing stories I simply said I didnt want to either. Sorry but there were no drugs involved in the race either just a street light and two vehicles. I have nothing against those vehicles you listed but to have this car for this price is a pretty good deal I think thats all I wanted to know like i said this isnt fast and the furious and I personally would rather pull up in a lex with some big chrome rims then a little compact **** burner!! Oh and one more thing if this car is so bad (minus the side impact accident) why does the 98 blue book at 30000 dollars and my 2001 Grand Am GT blue booked at 11500 thats pretty sad if you ask me just my .02 dont get me wrong I loved my GA but it wasnt worth the 18000 dollar price tag!

If the car do got dented, then why did it get slapped with a salvage title?

PoloGT01
05-13-2003, 02:59 PM
well ok it was more then a dent I mean the whole back door was caved in so i guess it was salvaged but theres no other damage on the title but that. Im just saying for now since my insurance is going to be high a 10000 dollar lex that looks perfect you almost cant beat it. I totally agree with Mike3800 usually I would never buy a car with a salvaged title but ive always wanted a lex so this is about my only chance. I would much rather have a new Maxima or Altima but my insurance dosnt agree with that

Bailey Man
05-13-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Vintalage
If the car do got dented, then why did it get slapped with a salvage title?


Bingo!

My brother had a salvage title on his mustang. He had to have the highway patrol inspect it for road worthiness. He had to pay for this too. It was not a lot. If you think the car would pass, than fck it, get it if that is what you want (I would get a GTP myself:wave: )

Bailey Man
05-13-2003, 03:01 PM
And remember, if it sounds to good to be true.....

Mike3800
05-13-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by PoloGT01
First off the car is not totalled the back door got dented thats not totalled last time i checked and yeah the altimas, maximas, caddy, there awesome cars but perhaps you missed the 10000 dollar part I bought a new GAGT for 18,000 with payments around 400 a month there are lots of cars I want but obviously I dont have cause im not going to be making those kind of payments. Also i never said you were telling racing stories I simply said I didnt want to either. Sorry but there were no drugs involved in the race either just a street light and two vehicles. I have nothing against those vehicles you listed but to have this car for this price is a pretty good deal I think thats all I wanted to know like i said this isnt fast and the furious and I personally would rather pull up in a lex with some big chrome rims then a little compact **** burner!! Oh and one more thing if this car is so bad (minus the side impact accident) why does the 98 blue book at 30000 dollars and my 2001 Grand Am GT blue booked at 11500 thats pretty sad if you ask me just my .02 dont get me wrong I loved my GA but it wasnt worth the 18000 dollar price tag!

Better check the blue book or NADA on salvage title car values.

Man... relax. I'm not attacking you. I'm on your side. You asked for opinons, if you had your mind made up what's the point in asking?

It would be an unbelieveable deal if it wasn't a salvage title. If it was only a minor collision it would not need a salvage title.

It would bee "cool" to roll around in a Lexus unless you were all cleaned up, waxed and shining and you left the light and your rear bumper fell off and stayed at the light... ya know? I'd feel better being in the econobox at that point.

Looks are great but if it's a great looking POS why buy it? Not saying that it is so relax, just saying it probbably is because of the salvage title.

You don't have to convince me about Imports vs. Domestic in quality and re-sale. I lost my asss on that damned Grand Am. If I buy another new car, it won't be a domestic unless it's a GTP a Corvette, a Neon SRT or a compact car with a huge rebate.

I'm on your side, I just think you can

1. Find a decent car that does not have a salvage title that you can afford

2. A GS 300 is looks alone, not much else (quality re-sale etc...), there are so many other great sedans that perform 10x's better and look just as good or better.


LOOKS ARE WHAT SUCKERED ME INTO BUYING A $18,500 GRAND AM GT THAT WAS WORTH $9,500 1 YEAR LATER

Mike3800
05-13-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Bailey Man
(I would get a GTP myself:wave: )

Smart man! :wave: :thumbs:

Vintalage
05-13-2003, 04:10 PM
The only vehicles that seem to hold their value from Gm is the Impala SS, and upscale GM trucks (IE Escalade, Yukon/Yukon Denali, Suburban/Tahoe, etc.). There may be more but that's what comes to my mind.

Matt95GT
05-15-2003, 11:57 AM
Yea... as everyone mentioned... I'd reconsider about buying a salvage titled car. I can tell you firsthand... not one car I know of has every been the same after being repaired. And these were just minor accidents.

When my GA was vandalized last summer the quarter panel had to be replaced. I had to deal with 6 months of headaches, 2 inches of water in the trunk, more rattles, etc. Same deal with my mom's car... since it was hit on the side it went from high quality to beater quality. Repainted surfaces are prone to chipping easily. (my hood will agree here :( )

Bottom line... people buy a Lexus so they don't have to listen to rattles and deal with small irregularities. If you take that away... what's the point?