subs + factory HU [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : subs + factory HU

Bad324
09-14-2002, 01:49 PM
i got a question. im lookin into getting 2 12's. and i only have enuf money right now for the subs,box and amp. i found a place to gimme a good deal but im also still lookin. i dont really no that much about audio, so i have read many of the posts bout systems. i dont no how to put it, but here it goes. is there a way to limit the bass to my back speakers, but still b able to get a good amount or maximum bass out of the subs. cuz form wat i read the speakers sound better with less bass to them. thanx for the help

Brian

grass
09-14-2002, 02:11 PM
a crossover will do that for you, most 6x9s wont play 80hz and below very well, so set the crossover on your sub amp to play 80hz and below (which is called "low-pass filter" or "LP filter" you may need to buy a crossover for your 6x9s but i dont think you should need it.

any more q's just ask

embe
09-14-2002, 04:47 PM
If it's a factory deck, you can turn the bass control down and turn up the gain on your sub amp a bit.

Or you could tap into the front speaker signal for your high level input and use the fader control to limit the level of the back speakers.

Or you can use an in-line cap for a simple high pass filter for your 6x9's.

Not sure if the 2000's had the dvc's like the monsoon's, but if they did you could disconnect the leads that control the cone and leave the one's for the "tweeter" connected

AmIGrand
09-15-2002, 02:19 PM
What is your budget, and what kinda stuff are they hookin' you up with?

Embe is correct - if you're not running an amp to all the speakers - just the sub - just turn the bass all they way down on the deck to keep the mids & highs happy. Get an amp with a bass boost feature. Normally, this is a bad thing, but in this situation it'
s perfect. Rather than turn the gain way up (which you may end up doing anyway, it should be set correctly whether that be high or low) you activate a 12db or so bosst at 45Hz or so to compensate for the bass you lose on the deck.

That's how it;s done, tell us what you're getting so we can be more psecific!! :)

Bad324
09-15-2002, 02:59 PM
well i honestly am not sure exactly wat im getting yet. im on kinda a low budget but i wasnt really goin for anything huge anyway. the 1 place i found i can get 2 MTX thunder 12's. not sure on model number. then a i think either 400 or 600 watt amp. it was sum brand i think it had american in it. not really sure. plus a box for 250. i dont wanna spend more than 300 cuz as of right now its all i got. unless u guys got other ideas of wat to do, feel free to help me make a better decision if possible.

kcitsGT
09-16-2002, 06:18 AM
Yeah, what AmIGrand said. Rather than an amp with a bass boost, I'd recommend a class D MTX amp. It has a thunder eq centered at 40 hz, so you can boost it a little or a lot. It is convenient since you will be cutting down your bass at 40 hz at the HU. I have my 40 hz all the way down on my HU and my subs still pound.

Going to be hard to find one in that price range tho. Maybe someone else has a suggestion of a cheaper amp with similar features.

Bad324
09-16-2002, 08:00 AM
how much would that amp b alone??

AmIGrand
09-16-2002, 03:46 PM
For $300 you could get a decent 300 watt or so amp and a good quality single 12 in a sealed box. That'd be my recomendation.

kcitsGT
09-16-2002, 04:30 PM
The cheapest MTX class D is the 4250D (retail $399US). It's 350 watts RMS (actually closer to 450-500 RMS, MTX underrates their amps)
find out about it here =>MTX 4250D (http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/products/amplifiers/thunder4250d.cfm)

Zeb has it on sale at $219, but you will still have to install it. Unless you have experience at installing, your best bet I feel will be buy it and have it installed locally at a stereo shop. (better warranty and service). Zeb is a reputable dealer tho. If you have some experience, you may want to consider it.
See Zeb's price here => Zeb (http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/mtx.html)

Remember you still have to buy wire and such, that will put the amp price at nearly $300. AmIGrand sold prestige and recommended them on several occasions. One of them may be more what you are looking for.
Find out about Prestige here => Prestige (http://www.audiovox.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/catalog_autosound_prestige_amps.d2w/input?cat=568)

Don't be fooled by the Audiovox name, I've heard prestige is pretty good for the money. There are lots of other names, check out your local dealers and see what they carry. And don't just take my word for it, go listen and see what you like. Then come back here for more insight on what you heard.

AmIGrand
09-16-2002, 07:30 PM
Prestige:

Decks = Crap.

Speakers & subs = good value.

Alarms = great deal.

Amps = helluva product for the price.