GM Tryed To Blame My Clogged Cat On My Intake [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : GM Tryed To Blame My Clogged Cat On My Intake

Blackrider
05-30-2003, 02:14 PM
I took my car in for an Issue That I could not solve myself, The Engine Was Running Sluggish and would Not Rev Over 4 Grand or 4500 In (N) So I Did some stuff Myself and Finally Bit the Bullet and took it in. They Tolled I that my cat was clogged and it was going to be 1600 to fix. So at the point I was like Screw that I will Buy a High flow for cheaper, Then that day I limped it to an Exhaust shop who was going to do it for 200 dollars The Guy there tolled my about a warranty on Emission Systems that GM So I called another dealer and sure enough 6/120,000KM :rolleyes: So I called up my dealer and the Service Advisor Was like Yeah we cant warranty that because you have an intake :rolleyes: Then He was trying to Explained to me how a cat worked, and I said dude I know how a cat works . So I finally said donít try and BS Me PROVE to me that it was my intake and I will leave you allow, and he said that he didnít have to, So I asked for the service manager and she was very helpful, I tolled her all the mods I had to my car and intake and no Resonator(SP) And she said That no problem we will warranty it for you. Thatís was on Tue. Of this week. So My car is Sitting in my driveway Disabled and I'm stuck at home on my Paid Vacation from work! I have to wait for my mother to come home so I can user her car. They said that the cat and down pipe would be in today. 12 Noon hits and no call, So I called the service Advisor and he said o yeah it will be another 7 days. Because it was coming from Detroit. I was like well why didnít you tell me that in the first place! I asked for a Lowner car and he said "no you cant have one" word for word. I was like ok Let me Get the correct, First You Lie to me about the warranty, Then You Fess up but try and BS your way out of it then You tell me 3 days and it turns into 10 now you expect me to Sit at home and wait on my Vacation for the Damn part to come in??? He was like well you still have your car you can still drive it. So I said OMFG Look on your copy of the work order It says that the Car Should NOT BE DRIVEN! At This point I am about to Snap. I have the service Manager Calling me back because she is the only one who has helped me so far! :rage: Sorry For the Rant Iím Just POíed. And I didnít know of a better section to place this in if there is one Please move it.

fireshadow540
05-31-2003, 11:49 PM
good luck dude i hope they get your car running soon for ya.. had the same problem just last month...

Blackrider
06-01-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by fireshadow540
good luck dude i hope they get your car running soon for ya.. had the same problem just last month...

Did you Find out why it cloged?

fireshadow540
06-01-2003, 08:01 AM
yeah the guy at the dealership said that the fuel filter was clogged and tht the car was running to lean and that is what caused the cat to get clogged....but granted that was the first time ive ever heard of a fuel filter doin that before....

videoman
06-06-2003, 08:50 PM
I didn't realize it was that bad...If you don't mind me asking which dealership? cause I know a few that are poorly focused and have failing customer service skills. Lemme know.. thx

Mike Jung
06-07-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by fireshadow540
yeah the guy at the dealership said that the fuel filter was clogged and tht the car was running to lean and that is what caused the cat to get clogged....but granted that was the first time ive ever heard of a fuel filter doin that before....
Doing some research/reading online & found this.

"...Lean mixtures improve fuel economy but also cause a sharp rise in oxides of nitrogen (NOX). If the mixture goes too lean, it may
not ignite at all causing "lean misfire" and a huge increase in unburned hydrocarbon (HC) emissions. This can cause rough idle,
hard starting and stalling, and may even damage the catalytic converter. Lean mixtures also increase the risk of spark knock
(detonation) when the engine is under load...."

Who would of thought a clogged fuel filter would cause all this.
Clogged fuel filter causes fuel flow problems.
Leading to a lean fuel to air mixture.
Causing a lean fuel misfire that would clog the Catalytic converter with unburned hydrocarbons (fuel).
:wow:

(Now this is my mind putting 2&2 together; please correct me if I am wrong.)

my99gagt
06-16-2003, 04:22 PM
could the grammar be any worse? parts of that were so hard to follow, use some damn punctuation and learn grammar

AznGA
06-16-2003, 07:16 PM
Why don't you put the stock airbox back and take your car to another dealer?

Mike Jung
06-16-2003, 07:22 PM
Blackrider, has gotten it fixed already.

See thread: Misfire (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=14207&highlight=cat)

Blackrider
06-16-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by AznGA
Why don't you put the stock airbox back and take your car to another dealer?

I dont have a stock air box I got 130 USD for my entire ram air setup. tell me you couldent resist that.

And Correct i did get mine fixed already.

badboy2451
07-19-2006, 10:40 AM
bump

i got a buddy of mine that has this same problem right now...his car doesnt have the power to get out of first gear so he took it into the dealership where he bought it from and was told that is cat was clogged. the car is still under warrenty but they wont honor it becuase he has an intake on it. could the intake cause his cat to clog or what?

in case it matters, its a 2003 grand prix with a 3.8 (no SC)

Molson
07-19-2006, 10:54 AM
put the stock airbox on it and bring it to another dealer.

badboy2451
07-19-2006, 10:55 AM
yea...i thought of that also, but somehow it got throw in the garbage, atleast according to him

Sprucegagt
07-19-2006, 10:58 AM
A CAI has no effect on the cat. Even if his filter was heavily clogged it wouldn't hurt it.

badboy2451
07-19-2006, 10:59 AM
A CAI has no effect on the cat. Even if his filter was heavily clogged it wouldn't hurt it.

thank you very much, anyone else care to chime in

edit: would some heavy ass 20" rims hurt?

lone_wolf025
07-19-2006, 12:34 PM
The way the cat gets clogged is not through a CAI. The only thing that that particular mod would do is just to help the engine breathe better. Cats get clogged from too much junk coming from the engine and getting wedged in. Lean mixtures COULD do it but typically unless you're actually misfiring it wouldn't hurt the cat. Regardless at least here in the US emissions controling components such as the cat are warantied for 100,000 miles or 8yrs IIRC. They're just trying to BS you into paying to have the work done. Forget the stock airbox just go over their heads.