Question about "Empty" Gas Guage Light" [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Question about "Empty" Gas Guage Light"

BadGT471
09-16-2002, 10:30 PM
I'm really bad about keeping my tank filled up. I usually drive it until I hear the "chime" and the gas light comes on. My question is, how long many miles do I have before I actually will run out of gas? I don't like pushing it because the cars new and I'm not use to it. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Are there disadvantages/advantages of driving with a full or emptier tank? Anyone?

Thanks,
Jeff

adorai
09-16-2002, 11:18 PM
i think gm standard for low fuel light is 1.5 gallons. So probably around 30 - 40 depending on if its in town or highway.

2000blkgagt
09-17-2002, 02:49 AM
I have know idea how far you can go after the light comes on but as far as running on a low tank depends on where you live and the weather...if you live in a place where it gets below frizzing I would suggest not going below a 1/4 tank....also if your in a town that is known for bad gas or you get gas a cheap station there is always the chance of getting water and other crap in the tank and when you get low on gas you start sucking in all the water and grime and everything else that may be in the tank. Gas treatment from the auto parts store will take care of the water but the only way you would get anything else that may be in the tank out is to drain it. Even though the filter will pick up most impurities in the fuel, I have always drained and flushed my tank on all my cars at least once a year, you would be amazed at what kinda stuff comes out of there after a few years on the road.

Hope this helps.

2000blkgagt
09-17-2002, 03:17 AM
Always buy your fuel from a good station im not just saying someone that has good service or what ever im talking about good as in the bigger names like shell, mobile, amoco whatever....Here is why...when the oil is refined down to gas for our cars there are different levels of impurities in the fuel itself. The higher level of impurities the cheaper it cost (not to the consumer but to the retailer) there is a national standard on level of impurities allowed in the different octane and the different types fuels available, but all refineries put out a lowest grade fuel that meets the federal standard and sells it to the stations that are not willing or able to buy the higher grade fuels. And the reason I suggest the bigger names is because they buy in much larger amounts than the local corner station so they get a price break on the higher grade fuels and for the mom and pop(local station, not all of them but most) to be able to make any money on gas they have to resort to the lower grade stuff.........

sorry about the long post...

gtaholic
09-17-2002, 05:43 AM
I have pushed it a few times and after about 20 miles you start to get that feeling that it is going to die soon. I have touched the E on Empty with the needle before and it was about 25-30 miles after the chime went on. So you can go a fair ammount as long as there are stations near by.

Mikey's GT
09-17-2002, 09:03 AM
I had the misfortune of forgetting to get gas at a lunch stop on a long trip, and it was just before entering a corridor with no gas stations. Light comes on, 47 mile later I find a gas station. Needle was past just past the 'E'. Pull into the station, and the incline made the car die, coasted up to the pump, and that was that. Could not have been any luckier.

-Mike

adorai
09-17-2002, 03:52 PM
lol!

Macleod52
09-17-2002, 04:09 PM
yeah uhmm.... don't run your car down to the "E" unless you absolutly have no other choice... Not good!

Gramp's GT
09-19-2002, 06:41 PM
Driving it dry is a good way to suck any crap out of the tank into the injectors which will give you more problems.

Lets face it..your car runs on gas. Why wait to put gas into it....it will always need the gas...why not try keeping it full instead of experimenting on keeping it empty.

Most people have more things to do than run out of gas...push your car to the side of the road (if you can and if there is a place to push it), walk to the nearest service station, give them about one godzillion dollars for use of the 2gal gas can, walk back to the car, drive back to the service station to get your gas can deposit back etc .... and you can bet it will happen on the either the wettest or coldest day of the year.

Mikey's GT
09-19-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Gramp's GT
Driving it dry is a good way to suck any crap out of the tank into the injectors which will give you more problems.

Chances of anything (other than water) getting to the injectors is slim to none. There are 2 filters in the fuel system; 1 is in the tank itself to keep the pump from taking in large particles; the other is in line to the engine to catch everything else.

By no means am I promoting running it bone dry, I simply spaced getting gas when I discovered just how far it would go.

And remember: "Your mileage may vary!"

-Mike

VaGT
09-19-2002, 07:58 PM
Hey, you get better gas mileage when you have less gas in the tank. Doesn't 1 gal equal about 8 lbs?.. lol

2000blkgagt
09-19-2002, 09:02 PM
yea but when your pushing the car its sevreal thousand lbs......lol

Mikey's GT
09-19-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by 2000blkgagt
yea but when your pushing the car its sevreal thousand lbs......lol

LOL! :cheers:

qwik99gt
09-20-2002, 08:07 PM
On my way back from the GAP02 picnic, I ran that tank dry. It took 13.6 gallons for the fillup (our tank capacity is 13.4) I was on the low fuel light about 40-45 miles. But I somehow get incredible mileage. (taller tires maybe?) Don't be like me.:thumbs:

MidwestJosh
09-20-2002, 08:26 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure our tanks are 14.5 gallons. My 93GAGT was 15.5 and I remember reading that with my 01, I had one less gallon of gas.

Macleod52
09-21-2002, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by qwik99gt
On my way back from the GAP02 picnic, I ran that tank dry. It took 13.6 gallons for the fillup (our tank capacity is 13.4) I was on the low fuel light about 40-45 miles. But I somehow get incredible mileage. (taller tires maybe?) Don't be like me.:thumbs:

How could you put 13.6 gal in a 13.4 gal tank? That's like putting 1 1/2 gallons of milk in a 1 gallon milk jug. Can't be done. :)

qwik99gt
09-21-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Macleod52

How could you put 13.6 gal in a 13.4 gal tank? That's like putting 1 1/2 gallons of milk in a 1 gallon milk jug. Can't be done. :)
My guess is that it was bone dry, and the 13.6 included the filler tube and any misc. low or high spots (maybe a sump?) but I did this with my S10, too. Twice. Also, the GM site says 13.4, but who knows what it really is....

adorai
09-21-2002, 01:30 PM
my owners manual says my car will hold 15.4, but I am not brave enough to get it super low. I went as low as I dared a few days ago and could only get 12.4 before the pump shut off, probably coulda gotten another .5 gallons in if I topped it off, but I like my gas gauge to work properly.

iceman
09-21-2002, 02:00 PM
BCM lites up the low fuel light at 13% capacity

Macleod52
09-21-2002, 02:07 PM
I agree w/adori. I haven't checked but I know that we have a 15 gal tank. It's been discussed a couple different times w/in the past two years.

qwik99gt
09-21-2002, 06:28 PM
My bad. I just checked fuel tank capacity: 14.3 gallons. So I guess I had another 20 miles to go:D
Grand Am Spec Sheet (http://www.pontiac.com/pontiacjsp/grandam/specs.jsp?source=lnav)

Gramp's GT
09-21-2002, 07:11 PM
The capacity stated in the 2000 GA brochure says it has a 54 litre or 11.9 gallon(Canadian/Imperial gallons) = 14.26 US Gallons.

Macleod52
09-22-2002, 12:44 AM
Pfft, 14.3... 15... what's the difference? Haha Close enough. But I coulda sworn we were right around 15, but didn't they change the capacity in '00 or '01? I'll have to look in my owners manual.