door speaker ?'s [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : door speaker ?'s

Bad324
09-18-2002, 10:07 AM
i was on crutchfield the other day and i coulda sworn i saw sumthin on the site that was like an adapter i think they called it for 4x6's. has any1 heard of this? if i remember right, u could use it to b able to put 5-1/4's in the door instead. am i just thinkin things or wat??

kcitsGT
09-18-2002, 10:33 AM
Yeah, they make such a thing and I'm sure crutchfield has 'em. It's just a - 1 spacer. You can cut your own out of MDF or plywood. You can even squeeze 6.5 inchers in there. I have a set here at the house I'm planning on installing this weekend. I'm waiting on some sail panels I ordered for my tweeters. :D

Check out my www site below to see a picture of my speakers. I will try to post install pictures next week. :thumbs:

Bad324
09-18-2002, 10:35 AM
id love to put 6.5's in but i heard u gotta do sum cuttin of the door and i just dont have any experience and dont wanna hafta do it. unless theres a way to do it without cuttin original stuff, sum1 please let me no. but from wat i remeber readin, u gotta cut the door i tihnk.

kcitsGT
09-18-2002, 03:35 PM
I've heard some people say they had to cut their door to fit their 6.5's and some say they did'nt. I think it depends on the depth and magnet size of the speakers. But, 5.25's would be an improvement to the factory speakers and would be a safe choice if you don't want to have any modifications. I would suggest you spring for components over coaxials (unless you want to pay for some really good coaxials, like say focals).

Bad324
09-18-2002, 04:25 PM
wat are the difffernces between coaxial and component? i dunno wat the diff is, so if sum1 could explain it would b appreciated. also are pioneer's any good for 5.25's?

MagiLLa
09-18-2002, 04:36 PM
coax's are a midrange and tweet together.
components are 2 different speakers sold as a set of 2 per channel, so 4 in total. comp's have the midrange (larger speaker) and come with a tweeter to mount seperately in another spot...

i dont like pioneers, much others i like over them. but get what sounds good to yuou

kcitsGT
09-19-2002, 05:55 AM
Yeah, components are sometimes called separates, because they are a separate mid and tweet instead of a mid with a tweeter attached. If you have the premium sound system, you sill notice that you have a 4x6 in the door and a tweeter in the A pillar sail panel (actually on the door, but blends in with the A pillar when the door is closed). Components would go where these are at, where as coaxials would go in the lower portion of the door only. Not only do components (usually) sound better, but the ability to position the tweeters up higher gives better imaging as well. (Tweeters sound best when placed at ear level)

Never owned pioneer speakers so I can't comment on those. Infinity seem to be the most common components here at GAGT.com. Some other good speakers are Crystal Mobilsound (that's what I'm installing) Some Really good speakers are MB Quart and Focals, both were just out of my price range. :D

Bad324
09-19-2002, 06:27 AM
so if i bought pair of component 5.25's, this would replace the door speaker and the tweeter?? would i b better off stickin with 4x6's or 5.25's?

MattBatt
09-19-2002, 08:46 PM
You really should go with the 5.25's I would recomend coaxal unless you have an amp or plan on having an amp (the crossovers usually associated with components take up alot of power making a component pair less efficient than Coaxals) you can also put the 5.25 or even a 6.5 right where the factory grill is just take it out and a 5.25 will fit perfect, look awesome and sound better than just the spacer because it will be firing more towards your ears than your knees. Crutchfield has awesome customer service and understands that not everyone who buys from them has prior experience so they are willing to teach you. good luck.

kcitsGT
09-20-2002, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by MattBatt
You really should go with the 5.25's I would recomend coaxal unless you have an amp or plan on having an amp (the crossovers usually associated with components take up alot of power making a component pair less efficient than Coaxals)

Are you saying coaxials don't have crossovers? I can't say about all coaxials, but I know the better ones do. (They may not have separate crossovers, but they are built in). Even SONY 6.5 coaxials clearly state in the crutchfeild catalog: Sony XS-HD160G, .... A built in 2-way passive crossover provides greater midrange transparency and makes for more effecient drivers. And we all know sonys are not anywhere near the best. Alpine, Infinity and many other coaxials also state they have them. If any thing the components better crossovers make them more effecient.

Even if they did'nt use a crossover, then they would have to make the impedence of the tweeter high enough to block out bass on it's own. This would make them even more inefficent than separtes. So I say, if you can afford them, components are the way to go. (amped or not)

GrandAmSC/T
09-20-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by kcitsGT
Not only do components (usually) sound better, but the ability to position the tweeters up higher gives better imaging as well. (Tweeters sound best when placed at ear level)

Just thought id break in here, thats a myth. You always want your tweeters as close to your midbass driver as possible. I dont know what pontiac was thinking when they put the tweeters way up there but that gives for not very good SQ. :rolleyes:

Thats why kick panels sound so much better is because of the way the speakers are aimed for one, and becasue the tweeter is right beside the midbass driver.

pounder
09-20-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by GrandAmSC/T

Just thought id break in here, thats a myth. You always want your tweeters as close to your midbass driver as possible. I dont know what pontiac was thinking when they put the tweeters way up there but that gives for not very good SQ. :rolleyes:

Thats why kick panels sound so much better is because of the way the speakers are aimed for one, and becasue the tweeter is right beside the midbass driver.

good advice right here..i actually posted a similar answer in my 8's in doors thread..

and nah i dont have tweets in the sail panels..you should try keeping your tweeters as close as possible to the midrange driver for best imaging..and if set up properly you will have great soundstage..(my one friend touched my roof cus he though there were speakers in there..) tweets up high you run into a lot of issues I find..unless you have time correction..but tweet with the midrange is the best and easiest way..later

GrandAmSC/T
09-20-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by pounder

good advice right here..i actually posted a similar answer in my 8's in doors thread..

Right on :thumbs: :)

kcitsGT
09-20-2002, 04:22 PM
I will agree, all things being equal, your mids and highs sound better when they are close together. The only problem with mounting down low is your legs get in the way. I have noticed that my legs absorb alot of the sound from my door speakers, so I have to try to keep them away from the door. Higher frequencies are less penatrating and are easier to absorb. That's why I prefer my tweeters up high.

I would think time correction would help more when they are in kick panels, as your legs would interfere with the highs more than the mids.

pounder
09-20-2002, 04:30 PM
I will agree, all things being equal, your mids and highs sound better when they are close together. The only problem with mounting down low is your legs get in the way. I have noticed that my legs absorb alot of the sound from my door speakers, so I have to try to keep them away from the door. Higher frequencies are less penatrating and are easier to absorb. That's why I prefer my tweeters up high.

I would think time correction would help more when they are in kick panels, as your legs would interfere with the highs more than the mids.

yeah time correction would help with kicks, but if the kicks are properly imaged then it shouldnt matter..true sound will be absorbed but it shouldnt be enough to throw of the sounstage..when i set my kicke s up i imaged them for almost a week to find out what wa sbest...people sat in..moved around..i checked out the passenger side, my side..the rear..just kept making subtle changes until it sounded good all over the car..then i continued fiberglassing them, and finished them up..so now when someone sits in my car..i can just move my leg, and concel out my side a tad..when theres no one in the passenger side..i put my leg in a differewnt spot..that way it always sounded good with subtle changes in my leg position..

i saw a show car with a row of tweets on the front dash..and they used time correction to show you it can sound decent with tweets up high..and i tell you you can really notice the time correction when it is on and when its off..

kcitsGT
09-20-2002, 04:49 PM
That's fine, if you want to find the 'sweet spot' with your legs. But when you have to commute or take long trips, you really don't want to be concerned with trying to keep your legs in one spot. A car will never be a great place to try to put a SQ system. It's so much easier in a house where you don't have so many variables. The average joe doesnt have ears discriminating enough to spend weeks placing his speakers in his car. Nor does his car have enough decent places to place them. Bad 324 seemed to be something of a newbie to car audio. For him (and 99.99% of the population) the easiest, best way to get clean, unmuddled sound, is to place his tweeters up high. It would be great if the mids would go there as well, but like I said, a car is far from a perfect sound stage.

Just MHO

I'm not tring to knock your setup man, I'm sure it sounds great. Just most of us have to take the easy way out. :thumbs:

pounder
09-20-2002, 06:24 PM
That's fine, if you want to find the 'sweet spot' with your legs. But when you have to commute or take long trips, you really don't want to be concerned with trying to keep your legs in one spot. A car will never be a great place to try to put a SQ system. It's so much easier in a house where you don't have so many variables. The average joe doesnt have ears discriminating enough to spend weeks placing his speakers in his car. Nor does his car have enough decent places to place them. Bad 324 seemed to be something of a newbie to car audio. For him (and 99.99% of the population) the easiest, best way to get clean, unmuddled sound, is to place his tweeters up high. It would be great if the mids would go there as well, but like I said, a car is far from a perfect sound stage.

Just MHO

I'm not tring to knock your setup man, I'm sure it sounds great. Just most of us have to take the easy way out. :thumbs:

yeah man totally..you are entitled to your opinion..Q forms seem pretty good for "newbies" as well as amateur car enthusiasts ( as long as they're reinforced) ..they come pretty well imaged out of the box..so theyre just plug and play basically..but if you put the tweets up high you can have a decent sounding system..some do, some dont..same thing applied to cars with kicks..some sound good..some don't..

and your right a car is far from a decent environment for audio..

Bad324
09-21-2002, 11:18 AM
yea when it comes to audio im am quite the newbie. all i want is a sound that has better quality then my stock setup. all i wnana do first is those speakers to 5.25's. so back to my other question, would components replace both the door speaker and the tweeter on the door? also would i need an amp if i got components?

pounder
09-21-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Bad324
yea when it comes to audio im am quite the newbie. all i want is a sound that has better quality then my stock setup. all i wnana do first is those speakers to 5.25's. so back to my other question, would components replace both the door speaker and the tweeter on the door? also would i need an amp if i got components?

components will come with 2 tweeters, 2 woofers, and 2 crossovers..an amp would be great, but most components will run off stock power or an upgraded deck amp (which will be around 20 rms) look at the component set's sensitivity level..the higher it is, the less power it takes to be driven to the same levels as a lower sensitvity woofer. Do that and you should be fine..

MattBatt
09-21-2002, 08:08 PM
I should have specified most coaxals don't come with full crossovers the exception is that most tweeters have a protection capacitor to block the low frequencies but the woofer doesn't have anything. Infinty makes Coaxals with a full external crossover and some companies like crossfire have "convertibles" where they can be seperate components or a coaxal.

I personally found some Pheonix Gold Component speakers real cheap ( I found out why) they were seperates but only the tweeter had a crossover OOPS.

I put my tweeters on the dash board facing the windsheild GM put these two little plastic tabby thingys in to cover up two bolts If you take them out a tweeter fits perfectly.

nine-nine
09-22-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by MattBatt
I put my tweeters on the dash board facing the windsheild GM put these two little plastic tabby thingys in to cover up two bolts If you take them out a tweeter fits perfectly.

Any size tweeters? i might just try to fit some in there..