Test drove some cars... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Test drove some cars...

Matt95GT
07-20-2003, 02:57 PM
I went car shopping this weekend, I wanted to try out a few more makes/models since I wasn't sure what I wanted.

Got to drive 2 of 3 on my list of potentials.

First one, Mazda 6s manual. Unfortunately dealer claims the V6 and manual is hard to get. He said they can order me one. No thanks, I just want to test drive it. :huh:

2 - Acura RSX Type S, manual
What I liked:
-Nice overall car
-Gauge layout
-Transmission feel
-Handling
What I didn't like:
-No power until 6k RPM
-Too small, I hit my head a few times turning around
-Poor visability when turning around to check blind spots.
My opinion - nice car but not something that really turned me on for $23,000

3 - VW Golf 1.8T manual
Test drove a 5 speed. They had really nice 20th anniverary edition GTIs there, but do not allow test drives. Only 4000 made - 6 speed manual, 18" multispokes, ground FX, Recaro seats, pimped dash with brushed aluminum center piece with the car number.
What I liked:
-throttle response
-braking
-turbo sound :woowoo
What I didn't:
-Sloppy shifter - really needs a short throw
-Really soft & numb clutch
-Steering wheel was not ailigned when going straight - not cool on a brand new car
-Fuzzy A-pillars wtf - for the head curtain airbags
My opinion:
I actually liked the 20th Anniversary ones, but I really don't see how it benefits from the extra gear - I didn't really notice any specific RPM range with a peak of power. Once again, just not that exciting to me for $23,000

Both cars had some power but IMO, my GA is more fun w/ it's unrefined large American DOHC 4 banger. My car felt like it had V6 torque at lower RPMs after driving the other 2.

On the way home I randomly passed a used car lot with a 94 GT. The "16 valve HO" badge caught my eye. A test drive later and I have found a really cheap solution to wanting a second car to drive to work. :thumbs:

Jagey
07-20-2003, 07:33 PM
I didn't like the RSX type S at all. It sounded like it was going to explode when you floored it. The rear seat headroom was terrible.

red rocket
07-21-2003, 10:46 AM
Imagine going to a Pontiac dealer and them telling you that you can't test drive a car. How absurd!

Maybe something like a Vette or Viper, just due to people wanting joy rides, but a Volkswagen??

Silver02EX
07-21-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Jagey
I didn't like the RSX type S at all. It sounded like it was going to explode when you floored it. The rear seat headroom was terrible.

That's DOHC VTEC for you :thumbs: As far as the head room, you can't expect a lot out of most sports car.

Matt95GT
07-21-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by red rocket
Imagine going to a Pontiac dealer and them telling you that you can't test drive a car. How absurd!

Maybe something like a Vette or Viper, just due to people wanting joy rides, but a Volkswagen??

Well, I can see where they are coming from - it is a limited production car. But... it's not like there's regular golfs with a 6-speed to test. What if someone buys it and the 6-speed sucks? Kinda lame.

1993Grandamgt
07-21-2003, 04:35 PM
but yet you can test drive a cobra mustang with their limited production numbers for each year!

VTECSiGAH8R
07-21-2003, 04:53 PM
The nice part about a 1.8T tho is that you can get like exhaust/intake/chip/boost controller and you're looking at like 200 at the wheels.

I dunno, for the price you're talking about, it sounds like an SRT-4 would definately give you a good time. It's at least worth a test drive. It has a lot of torque too, and the hp numbers have shown to be underestimated by quite a bit. It is very responsive to mods too, like most turbo cars. Too bad the f***ers at Dodge didn't give it a freaking LSD tho :rolleyes:.

2002GT
07-21-2003, 04:57 PM
LSD would make for a great aftermarket mod to sink your money into tho... Plus I hear they have great turbo upgades that are warrantied for good prices..

AMRAAM4
07-21-2003, 05:37 PM
2004 SRT-4's come standard with a LSD and are getting a slight upgrade in the horsepower.

mr_eh
07-22-2003, 05:46 AM
i love the fuzzy pillars in the jettas... made me want to cover mine with the fabric but it wouldnt look as good

Matt95GT
07-22-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by VTECSiGAH8R
The nice part about a 1.8T tho is that you can get like exhaust/intake/chip/boost controller and you're looking at like 200 at the wheels.

I dunno, for the price you're talking about, it sounds like an SRT-4 would definately give you a good time. It's at least worth a test drive. ..

True, but we're then talking 23,000 + mods - then I'll have no warranty on a car that's still a bit too girly for me.

Already test drove an SRT-4. :thumbs: I love the way it drives, the exterior looks sweet, but I can't help not being fired up for the interior that much. I'm also thinking insurance is gonna kill me. I'm thinking massive boost will wait until I'm 25 and the rates go down.

Personally, I think I'm just gonna wait on a new car. For a fraction of what I was gonna put on a down payment, I got a used car that I've always wanted. :boogie:

2002GT
07-22-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by AMRAAM4
2004 SRT-4's come standard with a LSD and are getting a slight upgrade in the horsepower.

Are you serious? The Neon is going to own all for it's class once again... COME ON GM... WAKE UP!

Knappy1
08-01-2003, 11:36 PM
ok, dumb question, maybe I'm just tired, but what's an LSD?

sharukhl
08-01-2003, 11:50 PM
Limited Slip Differential

I think it basically means that in turns and stuff, you keep traction because it keeps the wheels on both sides moving so u maintain full power even though traction may be an issue. I'm not too sure really. The guys with the Spec V's will answer, since they have them.

Knappy1
08-02-2003, 12:56 AM
Ok, I am just tired...I know what a limited slip is, just wasn't thinking. Thanks.

black99gt
08-15-2003, 09:55 AM
Just transfer power from the tire that slips to the tire that grips.

Unless of course you put down too much HP to those front wheels and it loses traction all the time :D