Attention all 3.4 owners [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Attention all 3.4 owners

cargt2000
07-20-2003, 03:16 PM
To all 3.4 owners . I have a 2000 Grand Am GT, engine code M.
This car is at 60k miles , and has been babied. The last 10k miles this car was making way to much noise under the hood . The dealer said that its a combination of a bad piston and loss rocker arms. Thankfully I bought the (ex) warrenty. I have a $100 deductable.
The funny thing is I go back to work and talked to a soldier in my BN. This soldier also has a Grand Am GT , it's the exacted same as mine except he has a two door . I explained what was up with mine ,so he asked me to listen to his . His is doing the same thing.

ANYONE WITH THIS PROBLEM PLEASE LET ME KNOW,IF THIS PROBLEM IS AS COMMON AS I THINK. MAYBE WE CAN GET OUR DEDUCTABLES BACK WITH A CLASS ACTION ON GM FOR POOR WORKMANSHIP.
My name is Ken Carroll
E-mail kcgt2000@hotmail.com

el gordo loco
07-20-2003, 05:01 PM
Is the noise that you heard the common tap that most people hear at start up time...the tap that goes away after the car warms up for a few seconds? Or is it a different noise that is present even after the car warms up? I believe that the majority of 3400 v6 owners have come to the understanding that this is a characteristic of our engine as annoying as it may be. But if the noise persist past a 2 min period after start up than there may be something else wrong. My engine does this for about 30 seconds after start up and then goes away. The colder it is the longer it will take to go away. I've never noticed it to take longer than 1 minute to go away. I have a GMPP warranty that will still cover me for a while so I'm curious of your findings. Good Luck.

cargt2000
07-21-2003, 06:26 AM
That is how it started . But it proceded to get louder and now it will not stop . The dealer said that its a combination of lose rockers- a TSB , and a bad piston which is also on a TSB. The dealer is installing a new engine. I don't think they would replace the engine if it was normal. This engine sounds as though its going to throw a rood through the hood. And another thing a soldier in my BN is going through the same thing. Get with the dealers and ask to see the TSB's on this engine . The Grand Am GT's 99-2002 with engine code M have about 50 TSB's.

fschambe
07-21-2003, 08:28 AM
File In Section: 06 - Engine/propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 02-06-01-034

Date: October, 2002

SERVICE MANUAL UPDATE

Subject:
Revised Rocker Arm Bolt Fastener Tightening Specification

Models:
1996-1998 Buick Skylark
1996-2002 Buick Regal
1997-2002 Buick Century
1996 Chevrolet Beretta, Corsica, Lumina APV
1996-2001 Chevrolet Lumina
1996-2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1997 Chevrolet Venture
1997-2003 Chevrolet Malibu
2000-2002 Chevrolet Impala
1996-1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, Silhouette
1996-1998 Oldsmobile Achieve
1998-1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass, Intrigue
1999-2002 Oldsmobile Alero
1996-1997 Pontiac Trans Sport
1996-2003 Pontiac Grand Am, Grand Prix
with 3.1L or 3.4L Engine (VINs M, J, E - RPOs L82, LG8, LA1)

This bulletin is being issued to revise the rocker arm bolt fastener tightening specification found in several procedures in the Engine Mechanical - 3.1L sub-section and the Engine Mechanical - 3.4L sub-section of the Service Manual. Please replace the current information in the Service Manual with the following information.

The following information has been updated within SI. If you are using a paper version of this Service Manual, please make a reference to this bulletin on the affected page.

The correct torque for the rocker arm bolt is 14 N.m (124 lb in) plus 30 degrees. This specification can be found in Fastener Tightening Specifications, Valve Rocker Arm and Push Rod Replacement and Lower Intake Manifold Replacement (for 1996 Chevrolet Beretta/Corsica, 1996-1997 Buick Skylark, Pontiac Grand Am, Oldsmobile Achieva and 1997 Chevrolet Malibu ONLY).

99 Red Beast
07-21-2003, 03:42 PM
I have also been hearing the noise alot more often, since my sister said she heard it when she walked up to my car. I usually would'nt hear it myself since i usually have music playing loud. I stumbled upon this thread and it got me thinking about it. Is there a correction in place to fix this? I want to get it fixed myself if this is the problem. I like the guy a few posts earlier stated thought it was just a common sound from my engine bay.

cargt2000
07-21-2003, 05:01 PM
The biggest problem I have is with a cylinder a TSB states that a coating is on the piston. When this coating is damaged the engine has to be rebuilt, this is what I've been told by the TEC at JIM CLARK a dealer in Junction City, Kansas.I'm sorry if I make people worry,but cars cost too much. Most of us need to know about this so we can fix this under warrenty hopefully.
Please keep me posted on these problems
If the problem is bigger than I think maybe we can get GM to eat the cost of our deductables at least. GM is facing a class action over DEX-COOL now.

cargt2000
07-21-2003, 05:13 PM
Maybe I was out of line stating the name of the dealer thats working on my car. Its just that I go to church with Mr Clark, and I trust that he and his TEC's will do me right. They have in the past.

Taiter
07-30-2003, 12:04 PM
I got my 2000 GrandAm SE at 37,000
Since then this is what I've had done.

Thermostat
3 of the 4 wheel bearings
Head Gaskets
Upper strutt mounts
Rack and pin

ALL COMMEN IN GRAND AM's

Don't always go by what dealers say...Some don't care until it brakes down or others tell you stuff that isn't even wrong.
I live in Canada by the way.....

Things to keep in mind

wtf

cargt2000
08-11-2003, 05:08 PM
I'm happy to say that the dealer has me a new engine for me. But it seems to be taking way too long to install. They should me tha inside of one of the cylinders. The #3 was egg shaped.

cargt2000
08-16-2003, 01:55 PM
I have my car back,with the new engine.There is a big difference.
I must have had this problem a long time. Now they have to fix the collent leak.