Sub setup [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Sub setup

GTkid
09-23-2002, 10:59 PM
i need to know if my setup is good or if i can get better thump for my buck. right now i want 2 Infinity perfect 12"s 12.1D's, but that leaves me with little money, and all i could afford would be like a Profile 200Wx2 channel amp. would this be good or would i be better off with cheaper subs from a diff company and a better amp or what... thanx for any help

:boogie: :vomit: wtf

GrandAmSC/T
09-24-2002, 03:42 AM
Hmm yeah the infinity subs are pretty good. decent subs for the money. ALthough that profile amp is kinda junky. I mean if your dying for bass right now buy it but my recommendation is to just hold off for the bass for a week- 2 weeks longer and get more money together and buy a better amp. I think the others will agree with me.

kcitsGT
09-24-2002, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by GrandAmSC/T
Hmm yeah the infinity subs are pretty good. decent subs for the money. ALthough that profile amp is kinda junky. I mean if your dying for bass right now buy it but my recommendation is to just hold off for the bass for a week- 2 weeks longer and get more money together and buy a better amp. I think the others will agree with me.

I'd have to agree. I'm happy with my 10.1's, although I wish I had went ahead and got the 12.1's. Did'nt realize how good these things sound. (back in the mid-eighties I had 15's (comp kickers) that did'nt sound as good as these do, speakers have come a long way) Once I got a little boom, I was hooked!

I see you want the dual voice coils(12.1D), not sure if that's the way to go with that amp. You'll be able to run it stereo but not bridged. (unless you want to wire the voice coils in series and the woofers in parallel. That would give you 4 ohms total). If you don't plan on buying a 1 or ohm stable amp, I don't think I'd get the dual coils. And I would not recommend profile. There are several other moderately priced brands out there that would be alot better.

wags
10-02-2002, 11:58 AM
I've read some bad reviews of profile amps (which is why i didnt get one initially) of overheating or transitors going bad. I'd recommend my cheapamp brand SPL cause i havent had any problems with it so far (except it frying a pyramid subwoofer because it was too much power for the woofer to handle).:nono: