Parking a standard transmission car [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Parking a standard transmission car

Mike Jung
09-25-2003, 07:57 PM
After-work today at a parking lot, that I park at during the day near work.

I saw a nice Pontiac Trans AM in stick with a WS-6 package & (I think) SLP exhaust system.
The licence plate was from Manitoba (Canada) with on it (IIRC or similar) "LST YR" = last year.

I was drooling, walking around it for a better look.
I looked through the tinted windows: it was a stick-shift transmission.

It was parked in neutral with the parking brake NOT engaged! :eek: :confused:
Lucky the parking lot is level.

But my question is:
How do you park a standard transmission car ?
How easy is it for a car to roll ?
(My buddy's sister friend had her car roll done a hill into a ditch; when the parking brake didn't hold the car & it was in neutral)

I was taught to park it in 1st gear with the parking brake engaged firmly.
Or in reverse (if parked uphill with the wheels turned, direction depending on if there was a curb) with the parking brake firmly engaged.

ViperGTSR
09-25-2003, 08:06 PM
usually u put it in gear and pull the brake, but putting it in gear isnt necessary if its pretty flat, but good reassurance. Its extremely easy to push a car in neutral

Irate
09-25-2003, 08:29 PM
I have a WS6 and the owner's manual states that the gear shift should be put in 1st or reverse w/ the parking brake on (I happened to glance over it...). What an asshat.

Molson
09-25-2003, 08:54 PM
my alero, it has to be in reverse for the key to come out. GetRag transmission safety thing. (and I *almost* always use the ebrake)

Silver02EX
09-25-2003, 10:10 PM
I put my car in any gear + the e-brake.. I don't HAVE to put it in 1st like the manual says. Just any gear. I can leave it out of gear and set the e-brake but it's not safe, if the e-brake goes then that's it. having the car in any gear is like putting an automatic in park.

Mike Jung
09-25-2003, 10:16 PM
Looking around I found this:
http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/1997/August/04.html

Irate
09-26-2003, 07:37 AM
Actually, Reverse gear generally has the largest gear ratio in the transmission. That means that the wheels have to turn the greatest number of times to make the engine turn once. And that's what you want -- you want to make it as hard as possible for the wheels to turn the engine.
Haha... they actually got it wrong... it should read "The engine has to turn the maximum amount to make the wheels turn once."

GregFarz78
09-29-2003, 07:33 AM
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS 1st gear/reverse AND e-brake

Its good habit to get into even if the ground is flat. My car was in the shop a few days last week so I was stuck with an auto :( I found myself still using the e-brake just from habit

Black Z28
09-29-2003, 07:44 AM
yes, 1st or reverse (depending which way it slopes)... also, why do people make cracks on automatic owners who put their e-brake on??? i mean wtf is it there for? to use it of course

Vintalage
09-29-2003, 07:57 AM
I don't use the e-brake on my auto unless i'm on a steep incline/decline.

iceman
09-29-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by GrandAmRamAir
yes, 1st or reverse (depending which way it slopes)... also, why do people make cracks on automatic owners who put their e-brake on??? i mean wtf is it there for? to use it of course

Coz there is no point to it... the car's really not going anywhere. All it does is put unnecesary wear on the ebrake and keep it from working when you need to (Mel's car as one example)

balludc
09-29-2003, 09:36 AM
only time i use my ebrake is when i jack my car up... and i dont really need to, just precautions. i thinks it funny when people set the ebrake in an auto (a friend does it because he wishes it was a manual... he also drives it like manual :rolleyes: )

-derek

Black Z28
09-29-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by balludc
only time i use my ebrake is when i jack my car up... and i dont really need to, just precautions. i thinks it funny when people set the ebrake in an auto (a friend does it because he wishes it was a manual... he also drives it like manual :rolleyes: )

-derek

that is hilarious when people drive automatics as if they were a manual, but the ebrake is there as a saftey precaution. just as they are there on a manual car. i've always used the ebrake every time i get out of the car, and they've never worn out at all. so have my parents, never had a problem with them wearing out. although if you use the ebrake to actually stop the car, that would cause it to wear.

Panacea
09-29-2003, 11:52 AM
I only use my E-brake when I'm on an incline, but it's better to use it than to have it potentially seize up on you from lack of use :thumbs:

GregFarz78
09-29-2003, 01:52 PM
Mels e-brake broke b/c that ghetto stereo shop probably frigged with it...it wont wear out if you use it properly i.e. dont drive with the ebrake on

Molson
09-30-2003, 04:58 AM
meh, just park against a wall.

:D

Lilred96gagt
10-15-2003, 05:58 PM
E brake? is that the little handle thingy that I NEVER use when I park my car?!? The only time, like Derek said is when I jack the car up, but even then not always. I'm playing with fire I know and I don't care. The only time I set the brake was when the clutch was going bad.

Silver02EX
10-15-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by balludc
(a friend does it because he wishes it was a manual... he also drives it like manual :rolleyes: )

-derek

I can't stand it when people do that. Why would someone do that. If he/she wants to shift so bad, get a car with a manual trans.

'Da Wood
10-15-2003, 07:17 PM
I know, thats about the dumbest thing there is. Lets put our auto into 1st, then 2nd, and then drive!!
Me, I only use the e-brake when I'm pullin bootlegger 180s in the middle of the street...

Slim
10-16-2003, 07:39 AM
I use my e-brake when I park for three reasons:

1. (main reason) I drove stick for 9 years and it's out of habit.
2. I prevents the rear brakes from seizing. (It happen in our old GP)
3. My driveway is sloped so I use the e-brake to ease the pressue on the parking pin.

and a fourth reason

4. Fun in the snow. :D

Lilred96gagt
10-16-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Slim25
I use my e-brake when I park for three reasons:
4. Fun in the snow. :D
I HEAR THAT:thumbs:

BAGAGT1
10-17-2003, 10:28 PM
I always us my E-brake for two reasons:

1. Prevents the E-brake (cable and related hardware from seizing)

2. Prevents uneeded wear on transmission components which can occur when the car rolls after being placed in Park on low grade inclines.

Using the E-brake has nothing to do with wanting to pretend that I own a stick shift. The two reasons above are good enough.

Lilred96gagt
10-18-2003, 08:25 AM
I can respect that. I had a cable seize on my 86 Accord. That sucked but at least it was an easy fix. Thannk you Honda for being easy to work on!!

Ant
10-21-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by 'Da Wood
Me, I only use the e-brake when I'm pullin bootlegger 180s in the middle of the street...

is that a joke? or are you serious?

Lash
10-30-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Molson
my alero, it has to be in reverse for the key to come out. GetRag transmission safety thing. (and I *almost* always use the ebrake)

Weird!! My cavalier with the getrag dosen't do that. Theres just a release button by the steering colum to release the key. There is a reverse lock-out lever thats has to be pulled up in order to shift into reverse....but not to release the key.

'Da Wood
11-05-2003, 10:03 PM
No Joke... before I put my new Potenza RE-750's on, I had a small amount of tread left on my old RSA's and I pulled bootleggers all the time. Miss a street? Yank the E and turn it around! Ya learn all kinda fun stuff when ya go to 3 driving schools. :cool: