B&M shift plus [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : B&M shift plus

HardD99
09-30-2002, 10:35 AM
hey guys, i have been hearing about this shifting module thing that firms up our shifts, and someone finally posted a part #, i dont know if it's correct but when i click on applications it shows grand ams but it says 1994 - 1997, but will it still work on our 99+'s?? please me know guys, i wanted to order this mod asap

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=15887

thankx in advance

zoran316
09-30-2002, 10:52 AM
ok here is the right # for the 3.4L

BMM-70380
or just try

HardD99
09-30-2002, 11:42 AM
THANK YOU! i ordered the other one and just had to call summit and have them change it, very good customer service might i add... i got it 2 day air, so they said i should have it on wednesday! woohoo! i cant wait!

how hard is this thing to install anyways?

zoran316
09-30-2002, 01:11 PM
no problem,

it's a real snap, all u have to do is get to the ecu wiring, tap into 2 small wires and u're set, like a 5 minute install :) i never ran mine on FIRMEST tho i find FIRM to be firm enough hehe :)

oh yeah summit CS is amazing, 20 minutes after i placed the order one sales rep called me to confirm my shipping charges (since im in canada) before they shipped it.

HardD99
10-02-2002, 03:57 PM
well i got it... how do i install this thing? i dont find the instructions to be to helpfull.. i dont see instructions for our cars anywhere, can somone who has this installed give me some detail instuctions on how to install it? thankx alot

Dr_Kyle
10-02-2002, 06:29 PM
yeah a pic or two of the install would be nice. Mine is on the way too :D

zoran316
10-02-2002, 10:06 PM
hey kyle, got ur PM, I'll send u the tracking # in the morning left it at the office :( u might get it by tomorrow anyway hehe

I'll get a digi pic for ya guys and point out which 2 wires there are to tap into

Dr_Kyle
10-02-2002, 10:41 PM
lol...I get the package, THEN the # lol That's cool. Yeah a pic would be nice too. Thanks again btw :)

HardD99
10-03-2002, 04:29 AM
sweet! thankx zoran, i cant wait to get this thing installed :boogie:

black99gt
10-03-2002, 04:47 AM
Here ya guys go.

A pick of the install PLACE at least. Follow the directions for the wire colors.

BE EXTRA CAREFUL AND MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RiTE WIRE THE FIRST TIME! Or its a pain in the butt to get it the 2nd time.

Take your time with the install, there are ALLLLLOOOTTT of wires there and most of them look the same hehe. :thumbs:

UNCTYPE-S
10-03-2002, 08:41 AM
does anyone have instructions they can post up. and another thing, i was a little too leary on this product since its not made for our cars. has anyone had any problems or anything to look out for. any bad/good info would be ok, cause i dont wanna buy it if it messes our cars up for sure.

black99gt
10-03-2002, 09:03 AM
Ive used it for about 20 thousand miles now on and off.. Not a problem yet.

They include instructions. Just look at my pic, and find the 2 color wire taps in the instructions, and thats it.

HardD99
10-03-2002, 02:12 PM
alright i was reading directions and it says:

A. Locate the RED WITH BLACK STRIPE wire and crimp it to the RED wire from the SHIFTPLUS+ using the supplied Scotchloc connector.

B. Locate the LIGHT BLUE WITH WHITE STRIPE wire and crim it to the BLACK wire from the SHIFTPLUS+ using the supplied Scotchloc connector

HardD99
10-03-2002, 02:14 PM
by the way guys, i thought i read somewhere that this thing makes the tires chirp into 2nd gear, is that true? :)

HardD99
10-03-2002, 05:56 PM
well i went out and tried to install it, but i see 2 red wires with black stripes :-\ i connected to one, i hope it was the right one... i get my new alternator tomorrow so i will try it out tomorrow... i hope it was worth the money...

zoran316
10-03-2002, 09:19 PM
yup, it chirps in 2nd gear...well at least my kit did heh :) if u power brake (u have to be in 2nd in the shifter, brake, gas till 2 k rpm or so and then smash the gas as soon as u let go of the brake) and u should hear a nice chirp...

UNCTYPE-S
10-03-2002, 10:21 PM
well, i am no longer interested in this product.

for one i had bad feelings from the start.
secondly, its not made for our cars, and thats an obvious negative
and lastly, i have heard more bad things then good about this.

my mind has totally changed for the opposite. for all yuo people that have b&m shift improvers, all i can say is hope the best for ya. i dont wanna risk my tranny goin down.

Blackrider
10-03-2002, 10:53 PM
Hey i was wondering why you dident go with the transintercepter unline B&M it is desined for the good old 45

UNCTYPE-S
10-03-2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Blackrider
Hey i was wondering why you dident go with the transintercepter unline B&M it is desined for the good old 45

whats the difference between the 2?

UNCTYPE-S
10-03-2002, 10:59 PM
ok, i saw it on pfyc.com just now. so its almost the same thing pretty much? just the fact that its more expensive. do you have this on your car?

Blackrider
10-04-2002, 12:26 AM
nope but i have driven a sunfire with one and it was wicked very easy to install no tools needed just plug in. I know someone with the B&M and they used it once then sold it becasue his tranny made some odd noises when he had it on.

UNCTYPE-S
10-04-2002, 07:28 AM
sp the autotrans is made for our cars? i see it right there that its made for 99 and later models with a certain type of tranny. will this work on my car with no problems? seeing that it is infact made for our cars.

Blackrider
10-05-2002, 12:40 AM
if you have the 4T45-E witch is on the 3.4 it sure will bud thats the tranny its made for.

The sunfires have the 4T40 thats the one i drove

HardD99
10-05-2002, 02:58 AM
well i got my B&M all installed and working... i didnt get it for everyday driving, i got it for racing... it works very good and smooth and long as your into the gas when it shifts, if you let off the gas right before it shifts it hits pretty hard and doesnt really sound good, like i said i dont plan on using this for everyday driving so when i am racing i will be into the gas the whole time :) personally i think it was worth the $50 and i can easily shut it off so it's no big deal.. i WOULD recommend this product for racing, but not if you are going to have it on all the time around town...

Blackrider
10-05-2002, 06:01 PM
The thing i like about the transintercepter is that it has an ajustemnt.

UNCTYPE-S
10-05-2002, 11:47 PM
well doesnt the b&m too? i know there is no legitament on/off switch cause its not made for our cars but cant you set it, to easy,firm,firmest??

qwik99gt
10-06-2002, 12:41 AM
Okay here's the comparison

AutoTrans Interceptor-
plug and play, requires no permanent modification of wiring.
infinitely adjustable from 25% to 100% firmer shifts
located in the engine compartment
expensive, around $130

B&M Shift Improver-
requires splicing of wires to the ECU, as it is not designed specifically for our transmission
3 position adjustable- Stock (no adjustment), Stage 1 (mildly firmer shifts) and Stage 2 (whiplash inducing shifts)
Located inside the car, can be mounted to the dash.
cheap, as low as $40

The reason I would choose the B&M are 1. cost and 2. ability to shut it off from inside the car. Because my fiancee drives my car and would hate hard shifts:p . Please correct me if I am wrong.

UNCTYPE-S
10-06-2002, 01:03 AM
i understand your 2 reasons of why you would want to b&m but you left out a main point. wouldnt you rather have the autotrans interceptor, seeing that it is made for our cars and the b&m isnt. ive heard good and bad stories about the b&m shift improver and thats why im leaning more towards the interceptor.

qwik99gt
10-06-2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by qwik99gt
AutoTrans Interceptor-
plug and play, requires no permanent modification of wiring.

B&M Shift Improver-
requires splicing of wires to the ECU, as it is not designed specifically for our transmission

I left out nothing. I was stating my opinion. The Autotrans Interceptor is a wonderful product, but I prefer the B&M Shift Improver for the reasons listed. My fiancee would NEVER climb underneath the hood to adjust the setting on an AutoTrans Interceptor, but she would flip a toggle switch to the "stock" position.

itlnrob
10-06-2002, 11:15 AM
upgrade your ECU with a Jet Module that also has an on and off switch, plus with an extra kick for some more horses!

qwik99gt
10-06-2002, 04:09 PM
Not a big fan of JET Performance. I've seen too many stories in magazines like "...and the module showed no performance gain on the dyno" or "we actually lost 5 lb/ft at 2500rpm...." I know they work great on some vehicles (especially Ford Powerstrokes) but I have heard from numerous sources that GM calibration is almost right on the money. As for changing the trans line pressure, that makes the car feel faster, and I think some JET owners are just experiencing the placebo effect...

itlnrob
10-06-2002, 05:06 PM
I can honestly say a car that kept up with me, lost the second time by 3 cars because i turned the JET on!

HardD99
10-07-2002, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by itlnrob
I can honestly say a car that kept up with me, lost the second time by 3 cars because i turned the JET on!

thats cause your girlfriend let you win the second time, heheh J/J

personally i would rather have the B&M along with the ASE. i like being able to shut off the B&M when i am just cruising around town... then we i pull up to a light next to a honda, i click the kit on.

zoran316
10-07-2002, 07:33 AM
You can't have ASE and B&M at the same time, ASE has to be alone :) and it works amazing alone...

itlnrob
10-07-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by HardD99

thats cause your girlfriend let you win the second time, heheh J/J

personally i would rather have the B&M along with the ASE. i like being able to shut off the B&M when i am just cruising around town... then we i pull up to a light next to a honda, i click the kit on.

Well that depends if you'd call my girlfriends Kia a 95 Formula.

X-ception
10-14-2002, 05:18 PM
ok, i just picked this up. They had it on stock at my local auto zone. Anyways, can someone give me some info about the install like...... What color blue w/ white stripe am I looking for? light blue, blue or dark blue? ok and..... Which box is the wires coming from the one closer to driver door or towards center console. Oh, and if you knew what pin number or connector it is that would help alot.

X-ception
10-15-2002, 02:23 PM
jeez... nobody has any answers to help 'X'. :(

UNCTYPE-S
10-15-2002, 04:37 PM
this is probably no use to you "x" but use the search button and maybe something will come up on directions.

Dr_Kyle
10-15-2002, 06:05 PM
okay I found the answer, check out this thread:
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=683&highlight=shift+plus

Near the bottom, 'DJ Crash' gives some help...

But seriously, doesn't ANYBODY have a pic of the install?

X-ception
10-15-2002, 07:32 PM
yeah, i saw that thread but it didnt help that much.

jaketuff
10-16-2002, 11:21 AM

I recommend the JET also. :thumbs:

Pat

UNCTYPE-S
10-16-2002, 01:46 PM
can anybody show me proff that is made for the 3.4 grand am. it shows the 3.1 liter grand am but nothing for the 3.4. i know someone that bought this and on the installation is shows its made for the 3.4 but it doesnt say anything when you order it. just wanna make sure before i buy it.

jim

FWGT1
10-17-2002, 02:31 AM
I definatly would not recommend the JET...it's a waste of money. I haven't noticed a thing with this mod on or off the track, other than it was a pain in the a$$ to get installed correctly.

X-ception
10-17-2002, 08:08 AM
Yeah, i had the jet too. the led lights were awesome but..... no performance was gained even tested it at the track.

claymore
01-15-2004, 06:02 PM
I dont mean to bring up a long forgotten post, but what part number is it?? this thread says 70380 and another says 70383.

thanks

itlnrob
01-15-2004, 09:53 PM
Oh jeez.......my fabulous Jet Module days..........I will get the part number tomorrow.....it's in my garage.

Definetly get it though........best mod, second to Granatelli MAF.

I think i had a freak module, cause my car would chirp second gear with it. Many people doubt this, but it was proved at a grand am picnic this summer.

Ask "GroundZero" about me chirping second gear

qwik99gt
01-15-2004, 10:02 PM
It's the 70380. I've had it quite a while now and still leave it on position 1 (firm shifts) and only use position 2 (neck snapping shifts) at the track. Not that it improves my times:D. I'd say this was a fun mod for the money.

Blackrider
01-15-2004, 10:52 PM
Oh jeez.......my fabulous Jet Module days..........I will get the part number tomorrow.....it's in my garage.

Definetly get it though........best mod, second to Granatelli MAF.

I think i had a freak module, cause my car would chirp second gear with it. Many people doubt this, but it was proved at a grand am picnic this summer.

Ask "GroundZero" about me chirping second gear

More like a Freak Tranny.
and If your going to go with a PCM I would go with a DHP, Say what you will about they they know what the yare doing, Just go over to ClubGP. The Jet is a just a piggyback and is limited to that.

I guess Its good if you just want to have some fun, i got rid of mine because it really dident do anthing for me.

Before itlnrob jumps all over me I'll say this, Diff Mods cause the Tranny to act Diff. The jet dosent Directly cause the tranny to Shifter harder. that tranny probably shifts harder to being with. If you have a diff Theory let me know. Myself and the 2 other people who had my jet never had any "Churpage" Nither do 99% of the people who have the thing.

claymore
01-16-2004, 06:04 AM
Thank you, I think some are confused, 70380 is the correct part number for the B&M shift kit right? not the JET module.

FORTEEN3GT
01-16-2004, 11:39 AM
FOR MASSIVE CHIRP-IDGE....JUST UNPLUG YOUR tps!! IT WILL BANG ALL GEARS REALLY WELL ...LOL

claymore
01-16-2004, 11:50 AM
LOL!!! but seriously, is that the correct part number???

Blackrider
01-16-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by claymore
LOL!!! but seriously, is that the correct part number???

So not good for the tranny lol

qwik99gt
01-16-2004, 12:12 PM
It's the 70380.

Yes, the B&M Shift improver is the 70380.

TheShizzy
01-19-2004, 08:25 AM
It's the 70380. I've had it quite a while now and still leave it on position 1 (firm shifts) and only use position 2 (neck snapping shifts) at the track. Not that it improves my times:D. I'd say this was a fun mod for the money.

did you notice ANY dramatic improvements? im thinking wheather its worth it or not to get. can you gimme details on the differnces you noticed.

claymore
01-19-2004, 07:48 PM
I just picked mine up today from UPS, So once i get over bronchitis and get back from Cozumel and get it installed, I can let you know :thumbs:

qwik99gt
01-19-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by TheShizzy
did you notice ANY dramatic improvements? im thinking wheather its worth it or not to get. can you gimme details on the differnces you noticed.

Improvements? I'm not sure this mod claims any actual improvements in terms of speed or vehicular performance. It firms up your shifts. Any difference in shift time is negligable and not worth mentioning. It's purely to suit your personal tastes. I felt that my car shifted like a slushbox in an old Deville and needed firming up. I like it. Some don't. But that's why I make the payment, huh? :D

claymore
01-19-2004, 09:35 PM
I like it. Some don't. But that's why I make the payment, huh? :D

Ive been saying that for years, and hell, if it screws my tranny up well, its almost got 80,000 on her any way and I know trannys are stronger than people give them credit for.