New to forum and new to... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New to forum and new to...

yafreax
11-13-2003, 01:11 PM
working on cars... My dad and i never worked on any growing up so it wasn't until i needed to save some money on some easy stuff like oil changes, replacing brake pads and the like. And since i've never done it i have a friend who was a mechanic for a few years help me out.

so first to get my 2 q's out of the way:
1.) for my past 2 cars, i was able to buy a book that had instructions on replacing everything and doing pretty much all of the mechanical work. The kind you can get at pretty much any auto zone type store... i havent found one for the '01 GA, anyone know where i can get it?

2.) Like i said, i'm REALLY a newb at working on cars... from what i'm gathering, the GA 2.4 4cyl is the same as the alero? so intakes and the likes that work on an alero work on mine?

Now for the details. I bought a used 2001 GA SE 2.4L (automatic) about 6 weeks ago. It's a cool car, but it's still only 4 cyl... not quite enough power to keep me interested. This was, after all, my first car where i didnt have to think about getting a family type, since we already have that (01' mazda protege if you were wondering). So i was just looking around at some GA sites, really looking for the manual i spoke of above, and found all these mod sites for GA's. They really got my heart thumpin and now i'm stoked about putting some work into it and making it a really enjoyable car. Sure i can never match the 3.4L, but i can get a lot closer. First i want to do the power things, then some exterior, then we'll see how it goes from there.

I will have to do a little at a time, but i'm willing to shell out 50 here, a couple hundered here, recover for a couple of months, then put some more money into it.... gonna get the K&N filter system first. Then i'd like to mod the Intake. So, which do you guys recommend? I've looked at the AEM Stage 2 at doctorspeed.com (or alerospeed.com i guess), i also saw the RSM, InJen, Iceman, etc... but ya know what? i dunno the difference between any of them!

I have a lot of questions about parts cause i really dont know what a lot of this stuff does... alternator pulley? what does it help? Do i need a casper tps tec thing? i read the explaination of what it does... i'd like 100% power all the time, but is it a noticable difference for just driving around town?

I feel stupid asking all this but oh well, that's who i am right now... Maybe (hopefully) i'll find upgrading and modding my car an enjoyable hobby and over time learn this stuff so i dont have to ask stupid questions. I'll take some pics this weekend and put them up, even though it's just a basic ride right now.

Kdawg207
11-13-2003, 01:14 PM
*welcome* and wow thats a lot

I will leave this to the people with time to answer

Enjoy

ViperGTSR
11-13-2003, 01:43 PM
^ hahahahaha thats great
1.) you can get some GM service manuals, try ebay.
2.) if it works for the 2.4 alero engine it should work for you too. The best bet would be to look around here at 2.4 guys mods

WElcome and enjoy modding!

InspectorGAGT
11-13-2003, 03:06 PM
Don't bother buying just a drop-in K&N filter or the Casper's TPS-TEC. They're both a waste of money.