Should I buy my grandma's 2002 SE? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy my grandma's 2002 SE?

jdircksen
11-25-2003, 08:01 PM
I'm a college student, living in the city with heavy traffic and door dents. Right now I have a 1995 Saturn SC2 that gets me around, is quick enough for me (125hp), doesn't get door dents (it's plastic) and is easy to park. When I bought this car 6 months ago, I told myself it would be my beater to get me through college.

Fast forward to now, and since my grandma's death, I have the opportunity to buy her car. Its a white 2002 Grand AM SE, 11,000 miles, 170hp, absolute mint condition, limo tint, keyless entry, spoiler, CD player. I can buy the car for $6000. KBB trade in is about $8000. The only things this car doesn't have that I wish it did are a sunroof and ram air. With the Grand AM, I'd also lose gas mileage (my Saturn is a 5-speed).

So I'm faced with a delima. Should I buy the Grand AM, keep it forever, or sell it in a couple years and maybe get what I have in it back out? Or should I just keep the Saturn and let the opportunity pass?

Thanks for the input.

If I were to buy the Grand AM, what kind of reliablity can I expect? All I've had are imports that last 150,000 miles. I hear that most domestics blow the head gasket after 80,000. Is there anything (service-wise) I should be looking forward to?

UNCTYPE-S
11-25-2003, 10:05 PM
if ur looking to save some cash then keep the saturn, but if ur looking for a more reliable car i would say go for it. 11,000 miles on a 2002 for 6k is excellent in my book. as far as the car goes. it must be an se1 or se2 to have 170 hp. missing the sunroof i can understand but your not missing anything with not having "ram air".

it is pretty much pointless to have it, waste of plastic and you wont notice a difference until u reach like 80mph anyway. if u want to know more about ram air just do a search on here for it and u will see why.

anyway, things to look out for are rotors warping, lower intake gasket, headlight condensation, tire noises, etc....

once again is you search u will find everything you need to know in and out about the grand am.

if it was me, i wouldnt pass it up. 11k miles for 6 grand in mint condition would be harsh passing up.

goodluck, anything else pm me or reply here.

jim

AznGA
11-25-2003, 10:48 PM
That's really good price for 02 with 11k miles and with V6. It is SE1 because there was no SE2 for 02 model year.

Sunroof...you can live without it.
I almost bought an SE1, but my dealer gave me a better deal on a GT. But SE1 pretty much has all the nice standard features. Ram Air is crap. It's more like a false advertising. Most people buy GT for looks...

Dr_Kyle
11-26-2003, 09:14 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me, I say go for it. Don't worry about Ram Air, you're not missing anything. Put a cold air intake in it and you'll never even think about Ram Air again..

GRocks10
11-30-2003, 02:43 AM
If I was you, I would buy it in a heartbeat! Sounds like a GREAT price to me with such LOw milage! Pratically in like new condition anyway since its mint so BUY IT! =)

-Gabriel

2002GT
11-30-2003, 11:26 AM
buy it...

98GrandAmSE
12-14-2003, 09:51 PM
Heh, If you dont, Let me