Newbie Question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

zootelevision
11-26-2003, 06:20 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've posted once or twice here, but I mostly do a lot of reading instead of posting. Anyways, I recently traded in my leased Grand Am, and purchased a new 2004 GT1(unfortunately I couldn't afford the SC/t option).

I'd like to remove the badges, but am not quite sure how. I did a search, and most of the posts regarding badge removal only mentioned fading, or asked for opinions on how it would look. I'm wondering if anyone has posted step-by-step instructions on how to remove badges. Any help, or a link to the correct post would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

Kodeblue
11-26-2003, 06:59 PM
I just pulled mine off slowly on a hot day and used Goo Gone to get rid of the glue substance. That is the hardest part. Good Luck.

AznGA
11-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Do this on a hot day.

- Spray some Goo Gone on the double sided tape behind the badges.
- Let is soak for 5 min.
- Take a fishing line, saw it behind the badges.
- You can use your fingers to remove the residue that's left.
- Spray Goo Gone on the area again after all the residue is removed.
- Wipe it with clean rag.
- Wash and Wax the area.

zootelevision
11-29-2003, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the info, as well as the step-by-step instructions. Since I live in WI, I guess I'll be waiting a few months for that hot day to remove the badges. Does the Goo Gone affect the paint at all?

AznGA, I noticed you have a SLP exhaust on your Grand Am. How much did it cost you, and how hard was the install?

Thanks again for all the help from both of you.

AznGA
11-29-2003, 10:46 AM
Goo Gone is safe on our paint. I use them all the time. Just don't spray TOO much, and make sure you clean the area when you are done. You won't have hard time taking the residue off unless the weather is cold enough to freeze the Goo Gone and residue instantly.

My SLP was $389 shipped when it was on sale. I took it to Midas for install, but with some tools, it't not that hard.

2002GT
11-29-2003, 10:51 AM
You can do it when it is cold also...

- Take a hair dryer and heat up the sticky tape behind the badge
- I used dental floss and slowly "sawed" behind them
- Got as much sticky stuff off as I could wiht my fingers
- Used Goo Gone to get the rest off
- Then I waxed the area... and waalaa

Good Luck :thumbs:

fastdad1955
11-29-2003, 01:13 PM
When using the afore mentioned hair dryer method don't hold the hair dryer in one spot or you might end up baking the tape to the body making it harder to get things of.

Use a side to side motion until the badge is warmed up sufficiently to get the "floss"/"fishing line" through the whole badge area....

Good luck!!!