CAI Horse Power [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : CAI Horse Power

infinite
10-06-2002, 12:08 PM
Can anyone tell me how much horse power you will get on CAI with the K&N cone on a 3.4L? How does it compare to the Ram Air
I already have?

jason
10-06-2002, 12:41 PM
The CAI is much better then the ram air set up and you can probably notice about 6-7 horsepower with the CAI and k&n.

nnewton123
10-06-2002, 01:06 PM
I noticed a 5.873 hp increase at the wheels with the CAI over the stock alero airbox. Just Kidding! I don't really know... the throttle response is better, it sounds awesome, and gets a little better gas mileage. Couldn't tell ya if its any faster or makes more horsepower. Perhaps you should dyno your car, install the intake, and then dyno it again for everyone to see!!

Dr_Kyle
10-07-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by nnewton123
I noticed a 5.873 hp increase at the wheels with the CAI over the stock alero airbox. Just Kidding!

lol You know, if anybody else had said that, I wouldn't have believed it for a second! I don't know, maybe it's your "fact guy" reputation, but when I first saw that, I was like "WOW! He really knows his stuff!" lol

nnewton123
10-07-2002, 03:53 PM
haha, its so hard to say how much hp you get without a dyno. I mean you could have less hp and it might be faster if the curve is better. Or you could have more and be slower. I would guess that it gives you more and its faster, but without timeslips or dynosheets, your guess is as good as mine.

Red99GAGT
10-07-2002, 07:03 PM
Unless you have a high flow exhaust, your basically defeating the purpose (not totally, but mostly). Your drawing in more aire with a CAI, and it needs somewhere to go. Without a high flow exit, you are actually loosing low end power. Off the line times will be hurt. Your mid and top end will be imroved, even without a high flow exhaust. Now i'm no expert on this subject, but i've done my homework on it. I still have the stock Ram Air setup, but will be upgrading to a CAI at the same time I upgrade my exhaust...which will be right around the corner (hopefully :thumbs: ). I'm going with an SLP cat-back and a high flow cat.

Skillet
10-08-2002, 03:00 PM
I noticed a nice little kick. but I dunno...maybe it is that sweet sound. If I time it right and let off the gas till about 2-3 grand it whistles which makes a sound like a blow off valve. I love it anyway

infinite
10-08-2002, 04:25 PM
Thank you for the advice everyone. I now have a clearer picture of what the CAI does. Good advise on the exhaust/CAI...thanx.

nnewton123
10-08-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Skillet
If I time it right and let off the gas till about 2-3 grand it whistles which makes a sound like a blow off valve.

ahh yes, I find myself driving down the road pushing the throttle up and down just so I can hear it. I'm hoping that I get used to it soon, because I don't think that is the best way to drive.

Cujo
10-09-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Skillet
If I time it right and let off the gas till about 2-3 grand it whistles which makes a sound like a blow off valve. I love it anyway

Me too, but I notice much more of a whistle sound with a GMS maf than with stock Maf sensor. Either way I love the way cai makes the intake sound :thumbs:

AFdefender
10-11-2002, 01:31 AM
it seems to me that a cai is actually less effective than the stock ram air with just that drop in k&n filter your just getting a more direct feed with cai. its all just sound.

MIAaron
10-11-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by AFdefender
it seems to me that a cai is actually less effective than the stock ram air with just that drop in k&n filter your just getting a more direct feed with cai. its all just sound.

That's what I thought to. But about two weeks later I raced my gf(she is always racing me for some reason) and even she commented on how much better it pulled. It's not like I could feel the difference, and it actually felt like it lost power, but when put to the test it showed a nice gain.

X-ception
10-11-2002, 01:15 PM
i went from a 16.1 with ram air and stock exhaust to a 15.5 with a cai and catback exhaust.

Dr_Kyle
10-11-2002, 05:54 PM
I went from a 15.887 (K&N drop-in) down to a 15.531 (Civic CAI) with no other mods. Both runs were under similar wheather conditions

lrymal
10-11-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Dr_Kyle
I went from a 15.887 (K&N drop-in) down to a 15.531 (Civic CAI) with no other mods. Both runs were under similar wheather conditions

Wonder what the time would be with a clean factory OEM filter in place of the K&N drop-in? In other words, three runs.

Dr_Kyle
10-11-2002, 10:35 PM
I don't know but I honestly don't think it'd be much different. Maybe a tenth or so. I didn't notice much at all when I added the drop-in. And my stocker was DIRTY! still, the K&N made almost no difference.

lrymal
10-12-2002, 05:09 AM
I don't know but I honestly don't think it'd be much different. Maybe a tenth or so. I didn't notice much at all when I added the drop-in. And my stocker was DIRTY! still, the K&N made almost no difference.

Sounds like there is certainly less restriction in the ducting when using the various CAI kits. I have often wondered if replacing the MAF ducting (where the MAF screen body is), with its "wrinkled" ducting with a smooth duct, would help.

I have always been skeptical with a lot of these type of modifications for small motors such as ours because their airflow is not that intense anyway. Appears that differences can indeed be made.

lrymal
10-12-2002, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by Red99GAGT
Unless you have a high flow exhaust, your basically defeating the purpose (not totally, but mostly). Your drawing in more air with a CAI, and it needs somewhere to go. ...

As a side benefit.............. I have read **somewhere** on the internet, when I was reading up on the 2K interior drone noise problem associated with aftermarket exhausts for just about every car, that a CAI improves that, The more free-flowing the exhaust vs. the more restricted the intake, the louder and more annoying the 2K drone.

Sure would like to know if there is something to that.

lrymal
10-12-2002, 05:16 AM

Sounds like there is certainly less restriction in the ducting when using the various CAI kits. I have often wondered if replacing the MAF ducting (where the MAF screen body is), with its "wrinkled" ducting with a smooth duct, would help.

I have always been skeptical with a lot of these type of modifications for small motors such as ours because their airflow is not that intense anyway. Appears that differences can indeed be made.