hate being a n00b [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : hate being a n00b

Blue Meanie
12-16-2003, 08:56 AM
Hey guys and girls! Nice looking board here.
I actually don't have a Grand Am, but my girlfriend does. She has a white 2003 GT/SCT. Completely stock for the time being. Although she has tinted windows, a Valentine 1 radar detector, dealer installed remote start, leather package, sub-in-the-trunk.
I myself have a 2002 WRX and have been bit hard by the mod bug (I assume some of you have too ;)). I want to get her hooked on modding too. So my question to you all is, what is a good place to start modding?

I'd assume a cat back of sorts (familiarity with the SLP products = GOOD). What kind of engine management solutions are available for the GA? Any other suggestions?

Dees Nutz
12-16-2003, 09:57 AM
word... me too :)

I just installed SLP and a custom CAI on my grand am. Depending on how intense you wanna mod, i'd look into either TOG headers, port and polishing the lower and upper manifolds, 62mmTB or GMS MAF.

Keep us updated playa.

Blue Meanie
12-16-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Dees Nutz
I just installed SLP and a custom CAI on my grand am.

Did you install them together? Is a CAI neccessary on a Ram Air Grand Am? I'm sure she'd like to keep it moderately quite. How loud is the SLP cat back?

Dees Nutz
12-16-2003, 10:14 AM
CAI is better than that ram air crap. The ram air has to come out in order to put a CAI in because you no longer need that air coming into the airbox (since you won't have one). My boy actually did the CAI for me.

SLP is actually kind of loud, both idle and when accelerating. Mad people look when i drive by, but its not loud to the point where its annoying. If you want quiet, I hear Borla is the quietest but i saw the price and was like f*ck that.

Blue Meanie
12-16-2003, 10:17 AM
Does anyone have a sound clip of the SLP? Borla? Any other recommendations for cat-backs?

koolZ71
12-16-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Blue Meanie
Does anyone have a sound clip of the SLP? Borla? Any other recommendations for cat-backs?

here u go enjoy and enjoy that WRX ive loved them from day one, i got a huge library of WRX vids on my computer:)

http://www.exhaustsoundclips.com/gm.html

Blue Meanie
12-16-2003, 12:19 PM
Thanks koolZ71 for the site and the compliments! Nice truck BTW.

That is a great reference site!!!

AznGA
12-16-2003, 09:58 PM
Welcome!!

iceman
12-16-2003, 10:04 PM
Welcome to the site. I recommend you go hear exhausts you are interested in in person.. Sound clips don't do them much justice. The second I heard the SLP the first time I made my decision real quick :)

ViperGTSR
12-20-2003, 02:42 PM
Welcome to the boards

Blue Meanie
12-21-2003, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys.:wave:

GRocks10
12-30-2003, 04:08 PM
Welcome! =)

-Gabriel