Rear Deck Rattle [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rear Deck Rattle

Filter
10-07-2002, 12:16 PM
I still have the stock stereo in my car and the rear deck lid rattles super bad. How can I fix this? Please help, I can't turn up the bass or everything starts to shake.

grass
10-07-2002, 01:07 PM
someone told me to shove a towl in between the rear deck (carpet stuff) and the rear deck itself (metal) it'll keep it up a little but it wont vibrate i guess, i still ahvent did it but i plan on it.

stick the towel in the middle of the rear deck, in like a square "hole"

underthegun
10-10-2002, 12:14 PM
My deck rattles too, so my plans are to fiberglass a new rear deck and install it. It will be heavier than the stock one, that way it wont bouce as much....will also look cool as hell too.

later

kcitsGT
10-10-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by underthegun
My deck rattles too, so my plans are to fiberglass a new rear deck and install it. It will be heavier than the stock one, that way it wont bouce as much....will also look cool as hell too.

later

That may be the only way to completely stop it. I have three layers of sound deadener on mine (one on top & two on bottom) and I still have a little rattle. Letting my seats down in the back helps alot. But I believe most of my rattles now are in that cover on the rear deck. I just filled my trunk lid with GREAT STUFF yesterday (the soft expanding type for windows and doors) and it helped it alot. I might try some between the rear deck & cover to see if it helps.

underthegun
10-10-2002, 05:10 PM
Minimal expanding foam works wonders...I have that crap all in my trunk lid, with one layer of rammat on top, no rattles from the lid at all, but the rear deck has always been a problem...

Ill post some pics when my rear deck is done, soon after I finish my false floor.

later

grass
10-10-2002, 08:13 PM
underthegun-

does your rear bumper actually shake? we have the same setup kinda so i'm curiuos to see if yours does too, my whole back bumper moves so bad you cant read 'pontiac' when my bass hits

blackgagt1
10-10-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by grass
underthegun-

does your rear bumper actually shake? we have the same setup kinda so i'm curiuos to see if yours does too, my whole back bumper moves so bad you cant read 'pontiac' when my bass hits

I have that problem too.

The towel in the deck lid does help

oldinstaller
10-10-2002, 10:17 PM
rear deck rattle....

-using towels are a great temporary fix but the cloth can break down and leave a mess in the car.
-expanding foam is a no no. if the chemical composition continues to expand, it can make the metal warp and do other bad things to happen.(this is from seeing what that foam did to
a honda accord that ended up being a total due to damages done from the expanding foam warping the body)
-see just if you have little bits of crap bouncing inside the cone of the rear speakers. this is something ive see alot of and the quick blow of air or a vacuum cleaner fixes it fast.
-see if you rear deck is properly secured down or make sure all
the other panels are also secured down too. loose bolts from
previous work done in the back of cars can cause this too.
-dynamat is great for this. use it only on problem areas. you dont
need to apply whole sheets of it all over the place. if you need a hint on where to apply it, use the good ol "knock on it for that
rattle sound" and apply accordingly. dynamat spray is good too
but a little messy. use gloves, and have the area well ventilated.
-rear bumper or other under the car things may be the cause too
but since you only have the stock system, kinda hard to believe.
-see if the factory grills are loose. they snap in so theres not alot
holding them in place.

good luck:thumbs:

pounder
10-10-2002, 10:25 PM
i bought 1 inch foam from a fabric shop..cut it to size and put it between the lid and the rear deck..i have now 0 rattles..and im runnin a ton of bump in the trunk..thats my recommendation..

kcitsGT
10-11-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by oldinstaller
-expanding foam is a no no. if the chemical composition continues to expand, it can make the metal warp and do other bad things to happen.(this is from seeing what that foam did to
a honda accord that ended up being a total due to damages done from the expanding foam warping the body)

That's why I used the soft expanding type. It stays soft even after it cures and will not warp the object it's used on. It's made for around windows and doors in the home, both of which are sensitive to warping. Yeah, the regular expanding foam could really do a number on our uni-bodies I imagine. :D

underthegun
10-11-2002, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by grass
underthegun-

My whole car shakes voilently...you can see my rear window flex and everything...but if your bumper shakes that bad, maybe theres somehthing loose....I cant see it shaking that bad... Im going to check that out today and see if mine shakes that bad...the only thing that really shakes on my car is that piece of black foam or whatever it is inside the rear bumper, I think its supposed to be a cushion for when someone rear ends you, that I cant figure out how to stop rattling.

later

grass
10-11-2002, 01:03 PM
well my bumper doesnt shake necesarrily, it vibrates. it flexes, the sides are fine, but the middle (where pontiac is) flexes 3/8-1/2" in some places. the black piece also vibrates like a mofo

MagiLLa
10-11-2002, 01:33 PM
how can a towel break down and leave a mess in the rear deck wtf ? towels/rags don't "break down". they aren't getting dirty, heated, or wet, so :confused:

oldinstaller
10-11-2002, 10:00 PM
any kind of cloth that is not treated to withstand sunlight and
prolonged exposure to heat and chemicals will break down.

I have pulled many a seat, rear deck, door panel, carpeting and
side panels and have found numerous rags, towels, t-shirts, underwear and other unmentionable articles of clothing from cars
over the years and many just fell apart as soon as i reached for it to remove it. thus, the mess and the need to clean it up since
I made the mess just by trying to clean up someones car so I can go ahead and install something as little as a rca cable run.

In some cases, the removal of the clothing required the use of
tongs. ( i was NOT gonna touch it...the stench would peel paint).

sorry, but having over 20 years experience installing stereos and
security systems, one can go thru alot of situations that most people would think it was impossible. and believe me, in some cases, no one would wanna go thru the worse of the worse.
some people actually never clean their cars let alone live in them.

I think you can figure out just how bad it could be.

:( :( :(

2000blkgagt
10-12-2002, 04:19 AM
ok check this out i had the same problem and i came up with a solution that works.....go to your local semi truck shop go to the parts counter and ask for 2 self adhesive door seals...........they are about 1 inch thick and made of foam rubber ......i got mine from a volvo truck dealer......take one of the door seals and cut two pieces from it big enough to go around each rear deck speakers and then with the left over piece and the whole other piece you will have enough to go around the the outer portion of the rear deck lid......(all these pieces of the door seal go between the rear deck lid and the trunk frame(between the lid and the metal part).......this works!!!!it is so good i am sure after this post it will be for sale as a kit on ebay for some stupidly high price.......BUY it now!!!!! this kit comes with all the parts and instructions on how to install...all at one low price........ yea right...buy the seals your self......and check here on the rear deck deck removel(thanks to mikes00GAGT )
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=5842....and do it all yourself.......