coolant [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : coolant

zhd1000
12-27-2003, 04:50 PM
adding some coolant and discovered a nasty build up inside the coolant tank.. is this a normal build up? can it be removed or should i get a new tank??

zhd1000
12-27-2003, 05:17 PM
looks gritty and smells like siht

Mike Jung
12-27-2003, 06:39 PM
I would say I think it is time for a engine coolant flush & then re-fill with Dex-Cool.

Afterwards, always keep the Dex-Cool alittle above the full cold line.
I heard this can happen, if the Dex-Cool is low in the resovoir tank; causing you to oxidize/mixing air in the coolant (or something like that) making the Dex-Cool go bad faster than normal.

See this thread: DEX-COOL information (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8718&highlight=dexcool)

If you are buying the Dex-Cool yourself; get Havoline DEX-COOL Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant (http://library.cbest.chevron.com/lubes/compprd9.nsf/c88c682625e06af6882568db00737ce8/ab30f4d48c33f01a88256b53007f1f4c/), it is cheaper than GM Dex-cool.
GM Dex-cool: Who makes it? (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9271&highlight=dexcool)

2002AmSE
12-27-2003, 08:43 PM
Did your cap break in half? Mine has always been one piece.

What mileage are you at?? ...I am thinking that you will be doing a chemical flush of your coolant

Filter
12-28-2003, 11:04 AM
Dex-cool is complete garbage. Every car I've ever had with it has had problems with breakdown. On the other hand, the green stuff isn't a very good choice either.

I'm running Toyota longlife coolant. No breakdown, always clean. Something to think about.

2002AmSE
12-28-2003, 11:11 AM
What color is the toyota stuff, and whats the main website for info on that coolant? I would like to read up on that...

Filter
12-28-2003, 11:35 AM
The Toyota coolant is red. If you get the coolant from Japan, it's pink. US spec coolant is tinted more red. It's also a longlife coolant. I don't know the website for it. I changed cause I've seen it in action and work with Toyotas.

A few parts on my car are Toyota parts. Superior to GM in every way. Toyota makes wiper blade inserts rather than having to purchase a whole new assembly. Wipes FAR better than stock GM or any aftermarket. FYI the Toyota V6 engine oil filter fits our car perfect. However, I still use the stock AC Delco filters.

2002AmSE
12-28-2003, 12:08 PM
You can still buy wiper refills without getting the assembly from most auto part shops.

This Toyota coolant sounds like interesting stuff, ill be looking into it, but is there a way to be sure that there isnt anything there that is unsafe for a Pontiac(or other GM vehicle), that would be safe for the Toyota's? I doubt there is anything wrong with using it in our engines. It just sounds like its Toyota's better version of where GM tried to make dexcool, I like it.

AaronGAGT
12-28-2003, 01:00 PM
I cant tell if its from the flash or not... but I hope its not a milky/caramel colored gunk, better hope you dont have a LIM leak. If it looks really dark, i'd say its common in our cars. I got that problem, everyone seems to say its normal with Dex-crap.

I also got the same problem with the stupid cap. Gotta use a screwdriver to pry the damn thing off everytime, even when i snap the 2 back together.

1/2dolla
12-29-2003, 07:33 AM
When those caps come off in 2 peices it is broken. Seems kinda cheaply made to me.