normal temp and dhp thermostat changes [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : normal temp and dhp thermostat changes

safemode
12-30-2003, 04:10 AM
My car has had the coolant system flushed and replaced with new dexcool when i got the new gaskets (also new oil). It runs 200-210 all the time even when it's very cold out when i'm moving even at high speed. If my engine is such that it runs on the hot side (maybe it is a factory freak, I've never brought it to the track or dynod it) then wouldn't the dhp changes to the thermostat and fan on temps cause them to be running all the time trying to reach a temperature that the engine just doesn't want to be at? According to dhp changes, my high speed fan would be running all the time (since it starts at 195F), which aside from the whole concern of the electrical system, would just be really annoying to drive with because wouldn't that air flow just come through the vents especially if i open a window? I thought 200 was normal for dexcool cooled grand am gt's, and that the people getting lower normal operating temps were running on more water based coolants.

This is the main reason why I disagree with the thermostat changes made by dhp and other pcm makers, since if it's normal to be about 200 then 20 degrees is a significant deal cooler, but it seems that the dhp pcm is using a baseline of normal being in the high 180's to 190's, making their change fairly minor. I really dont think i have a coolant system problem unless my fans aren't being kicked in when they are supposed to. I thought they were supposed to turn on in the 220ish area at low speed.

So is 200-210 the baseline for dhp's changes or is my car running on the hot side as a fluke? And, if 200-210 is the baseline for dhp's changes, how is it that the fans wont be running all the time, since it was stated in another thread that they shouldn't be?

Gimli
12-30-2003, 07:32 AM
Well, your thermostat controls what temperature your engine will stay at by allowing the coolant to flow or not. Even if your fans are running and it's cold out if the thermostat closes and coolant doesn't run through the engine the engine will heat up.

The DHP reprogram is calibrated for a 180 thermostat. Stock GA have a 205 (IIRC) thermostat so you need to change that for a 180 thermostat to get the most of the DHP reprogram. Then the DHP reprogram behaviour will be normal as the fans will turn on only when coolant temperature will reach 195, at which point the thermostat would already be fully open.

iceman
12-30-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by safemode
According to dhp changes, my high speed fan would be running all the time (since it starts at 195F), which aside from the whole concern of the electrical system, would just be really annoying to drive with because wouldn't that air flow just come through the vents especially if i open a window?

wtf Do you even understand what fans are being turned on ??

My car is parked at 180 all the time... high speeds rarely come on. Stock stat.

safemode
12-30-2003, 11:13 AM
So if the stock ga wants coolant temp of 205 degrees, is the increased timing the reason for dhp lowering that?

iceman
12-30-2003, 11:14 AM
Cooler engine runs better iirc... after that

info@digitalhorsepowerinc.com for all your questions