$1500 Damage!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : $1500 Damage!!

Beef53
12-30-2003, 02:45 PM
So I got a quote today to fix my car for $1500(Labour inc)from canadian tire(because it's across the road and didn't want to drive my car far). They said I need new struts and strut mounts for left and right front, new bearings on my front left and alignment for hitting a curb. I didn't hit the curb very hard, as there is little, hardly any damage to the rim, just a little scratch. The front left tire is bent slightly inward at the bottom from the impact but the right side is fine. The guy said I needed to replace both sides, but then said that the front right looked ok. Does this seem like too much money, or could they have diagnosed the problem wrong?? Just seems a lot because I called the dealer before taking it to canadian tire and was told worst case scenario would a be a grand labour included? Seems like a lot of damage from hitting a curb at a slow rate of speed!

****ed off in canada!!!!!!

Blackrider
12-30-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Beef53
So I got a quote today to fix my car for $1500(Labour inc)from canadian tire(because it's across the road and didn't want to drive my car far). They said I need new struts and strut mounts for left and right front, new bearings on my front left and alignment for hitting a curb. I didn't hit the curb very hard, as there is little, hardly any damage to the rim, just a little scratch. The front left tire is bent slightly inward at the bottom from the impact but the right side is fine. The guy said I needed to replace both sides, but then said that the front right looked ok. Does this seem like too much money, or could they have diagnosed the problem wrong?? Just seems a lot because I called the dealer before taking it to canadian tire and was told worst case scenario would a be a grand labour included? Seems like a lot of damage from hitting a curb at a slow rate of speed!

****ed off in canada!!!!!!

Get a Second opinion, Thats all i have to say

pfofit
12-30-2003, 08:40 PM
Canadian tire. eh I'm surprised they didn't condemn all your tires, valve stems,ball joints, tie rod, cv joints, motor mounts. etc.

i would get a second opinion as well, My experience with CTC is they change everything within a 3 foot radias of the problem. However, some people like them and go back.

You need a second opinion, maybe three, and do not tell them they are the second or third. The tire being bent in( do you mean angled in) at the bottom may be because the strut bolts/clamp slipped. Thats how they adjust the camber.

If the damage to the rim is as little as you believe then i can't see how the struts, mounts and bearings on both sides of a 99 are shot.

How does it drive?
Get it checked out and post what another says is wrong.

Gramp's GT
12-30-2003, 08:47 PM
I would also say to get a second opinion

tbone
01-02-2004, 11:29 AM
Definitely get a second opinion... but in defense of CDN tire itís not a bad idea to replace bearings across the car for consistent wear, especially on the drive line, it can in some circumstances cause problems else where. like the diff. Learned that the hard way on my pickup.

pfofit
01-02-2004, 01:31 PM
tbone.

Its OT to buddy maybe, but what problems/syptoms in the diff did you encouter re the wheel bearing wear..

Thanks

tbone
01-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by pfofit
tbone.

Its OT to buddy maybe, but what problems/syptoms in the diff did you encouter re the wheel bearing wear..

Thanks

Well first I better explain its a 1978 F250 351 W

It's rusty and old and a work truck, but yeah I had a little fender bender well the idiot hit me while parked. so he paid for the work to be done and the shop was doing as little as possible as the guy was paying cash. and they ended up replacing most of the wheel assembly on the passenger side.

on the way home I noticed teh truck was really pulling to the right so the next day back at the shop they admited to not aligining the truck .... more idiots. After the alignment everything seemed alright but it seemed sluggish, but it was ok for about three months then I started to get a wail from the rear end and it turned out the differential had been wearing unevenly and the left rear bearing had seized... it was old and may have happened regardless but when that was fixed the mechanic asked why the bearings were mismatched and that that was likely the cause of the failure.

Syrus
01-03-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by pfofit
i would get a second opinion as well, My experience with CTC is they change everything within a 3 foot radias of the problem. However, some people like them and go back.

Ha, i gotta agree 100% with that. I went there once to get the wheels aligned. They took the liberty of testing everything out for me. So when they finish with it, i get a report back telling me to replace most of my fluids, the battery, and there was something about the brakes. I recently put in a new battery, so that cant be bad. I also checked my fluids, everything was fine. From my experiance, don't go there for anything other than an oil change (but I do that myself now)

So, as the others have mentioned, deffinately get a second opinion.