How much does a tune up usually cost? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How much does a tune up usually cost?

GRocks10
12-30-2003, 05:02 PM
Hey everyone,

Before I go ahead and start getting estimates I was wondering how much can I expect to pay for a car tune up for my 1999 GA SE? Also will they put in new spark plugs and wires and scan the codes to take off the "Service Engine Soon" light? I have that light coming on because one of my cylinders is misfiring due to the spark plug wires and it has alittle bit of a rouch idling so I was thinking... should I just go ahead and replace the spark plug wires and spark plugs or get a tune up job which I believe that comes with it? Please let me know what a tune up job includes and an estimate I can expect to pay aswell of what you think I should do in my position.

P.S., the car just had an oil and filter change about 600 miles ago. If that helps..

Thank you,
Gabriel

Jagey
12-30-2003, 07:17 PM
better watch out, people are going to come into this thread and yell at you to do it yourself. Your best best is to call around, shops are more than willing to quote you over the phone. Also it varies from place to place too.

GRocks10
12-30-2003, 08:59 PM
I would do it myself but I've never done a tune up before on a car so I don't want to mess anything up. Also, a friend of mine saw where the spark plug wires are and mentioned it was really far in the back deep in to the point that it would be hard to get them all out and install new ones... is that right? I just want to get that bad idling off and that damn light!

-Gabriel

Jagey
12-31-2003, 02:26 AM
your friend is right, i believe half of the spark plugs are in a REALLY awkward and stupid location if i remember correctly

Slim
12-31-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Jagey
your friend is right, i believe half of the spark plugs are in a REALLY awkward and stupid location if i remember correctly

Yup.... U-joint sockets and rachets are your friend when changing plugs on a transverse V6.