ANOTHER question about windshield wiper blades.... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER question about windshield wiper blades....

NoOneYouKnow
01-06-2004, 07:43 AM
EVERY TIME IT RAINS....and i use the wipers (duh) my blade(s) keep making this loud noise against the windshield, and they both don't sway back and forth smoothly....they go across the windshield roughly.

Anyone know how to resolve this?

It happened with my stock blades, so I replaced them with Bosch Blades, and they do the exact same thing.

I've tried using so many window cleaners to clean my windshield (Meguairs Auto Glass Cleaner, Invisible Glass Cleaner, Windex, Glass Plus) and I also tried using that stuff that actually repels the water (RainX or however u spell it) and nothing works.

Any suggestions? ITS DRIVING ME INSANE...and thats why i hardly take the car in the rain.....because the noise takes away from the driving pleasure.....:o

Gimli
01-06-2004, 08:37 AM
Try a different kind of wiper blades. Mine are coated with Teflon and I never had such a problem...

swordfencer
01-06-2004, 09:21 AM
Could be the wiper arms are bent or the springs are tensioned to tight, or just try different wiper blades.

pfofit
01-06-2004, 02:09 PM
since your car is new take it to the dealer and have them check the wiper arm tension. The force at which the blade is pushed onto the window.

Other reasons for wiper chatter can be do to slopppy wiper arm pressure points. Too much play/rocking in the extensions. The wiper element/refill is angled too far off center.

I tried new blades on a Ga that were worse than 3 year old ones.

All those fancy cleaners are not neccessary. I use good ole scrub with Coke Cola on the blade elements and windshield followed by a heavy rinse. Pepsi dosen't work as good. hehe.
Best thing for clearing bug and road slime from the window to eliminate chatter and streaking.

good luck

VaGT
01-07-2004, 11:17 AM
Not sure, but I have the Bosch blades and love them. They've lasted me well over a year already and still work great. I bought their better kind (they have two different "levels")

NoOneYouKnow
01-07-2004, 02:42 PM
If i wanted to check the wiper arm tension myself, how would I go about doing that?

Deek00
01-07-2004, 03:01 PM
alright i have a question about wipers also, when i rains i put the wipers on, the driver side moves, but the passanger sides trys to move, but only moves like an inch. But once it has been raining a while the blade moves just fine? Does it need to be lubed or something?

pfofit
01-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Deek00 alright i have a question about wipers also, when i rains i put the wipers on, the driver side moves, but the passanger sides trys to move, but only moves like an inch. But once it has been raining a while the blade moves just fine? Does it need to be lubed or something?

Ligft the hood, remove the cap covering the nut at the bottom of the wiper arm. Tap lightly on the side of the pivot point to knock out any loose alumimum dust/fillings. Position arm so that it is almost touching the plastic stopper at the base of the window and retighten. Run the wiper, with some water on the glass and ensure that the arm stops just at this stopper and readjust as neccessary. It may take a couple of tries.

The pivot drive drive is conical and splined. If it rotates to much it can wear the taper in the arm too much and retighteneing may not be possible(ie new arm.) . Also sometimes the splines get plugged up and the arm will have to be removed and wire brushed out. The drive is steel and the arm is alumimum, and al. is softer.

Torque for Wiper Arm Nut 30 Nm 22 lb ft

good luck

pfofit
01-08-2004, 12:46 PM
NoOneYouKnow If i wanted to check the wiper arm tension myself, how would I go about doing that?

You need a scale like a fish scale.
Shut off the car when the wipers are in the pulse wait position.

Remove the blade from the arm and hook the scale to the metal hook at the tip of the arm. Place a cloth under the tip to prevent scratching the glass if the arm should move.

Pull tangentally to the window and measure tension required to lift the arm tip off the window to the height that the wiper arm normally sits wipe the blade attached. Not sure of the correct tension but since you probally do not have a scale then it is mute.

the laymans way is to take your car to a dealer and park it next to a similar car and lift the baldes on both cars at the same point and check to see if there is a noticable difference in effort required.

I'll check tosee if i can find the tension specs and get back to ya.

Good luck

edit

Found it :
Pressure
Driver side - 8.1-9.5 Newtons (26-31 oz.)
Passenger side - 5.8-7.0 Newtons (19-23 oz.)