Mixing 50/50 Coolant with distilled water. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Mixing 50/50 Coolant with distilled water.

videoman
01-13-2004, 10:23 AM
I was a little curious about this, as it kinda makes sense , but wanted to know if anyone else has done it before.

When you do a Rad fluid flush, has anyone ever used pure distilled water to mix with the rad fluid instead of tap water.
The main reason I ask is that tap water of course does have alot calcium, iron and other minerals. Mixing distilled water would I suppose help stop all of those contaminants from getting in.

Does it make a real diffrence?

BLKSHDW
01-13-2004, 10:26 AM
i doubt it...! water is water, now if it was something that was running throught the internals of the engine then i might say go with distilled, in terms of being worried about the tap water, flush the system every few oil changes or whatever...

Blackrider
01-13-2004, 10:43 AM
Winnipeg Tap water is pretty good Rob, Dont worry about it.

I dont think you need a rad flush just yet

videoman
01-13-2004, 10:55 AM
lol, you'd be surprised what the tkd level is... ( the particle level ) But I was thinking for down the road. Only the best for my car! :D

Blackrider
01-13-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by videoman
lol, you'd be surprised what the tkd level is... ( the particle level ) But I was thinking for down the road. Only the best for my car! :D

Mehh Tap water is fine, winnipeg has some of the best Tap water in canada. ;)

Gimli
01-13-2004, 11:18 AM
It is actually recommended to use distilled water to mix with coolant. That's what I've always seen anywhere they said to mix water with it.

2002AmSE
01-13-2004, 12:51 PM
The manuel says any drinkable water, I know with some other coolant types that its distilled only, but I thought one of the 'dexcool advantages' was to have it work with anything drinkable. I have however used tap water with my car, and my city has a horrible 25 thousand parts per million particle count, when normal soft water is about 4 thousand... My city also has the same amount of chlorine that is required for the counties swimming pools(and that number is the same as the rest of the swimming pools around too)

Jagey
01-13-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by 2002AmSE
The manuel says any drinkable water, I know with some other coolant types that its distilled only, but I thought one of the 'dexcool advantages' was to have it work with anything drinkable. I have however used tap water with my car, and my city has a horrible 25 thousand parts per million particle count, when normal soft water is about 4 thousand... My city also has the same amount of chlorine that is required for the counties swimming pools(and that number is the same as the rest of the swimming pools around too)

that is just nasty, and exactly why i hate drinking tap water too. It always tastes so bad.

Blackrider
01-13-2004, 12:58 PM
The Point is rob, is that using distilled water is an unnecessary step, Your really noy going to gain/extend anything from it. and your car has what 35000KM on it max? Dexcool is good for a long time your safe :thumbs:

klc317
01-13-2004, 02:42 PM
once distilled water is exposed to air, antifreeze, etc. it is no longer "distilled" anyway. I just always use the tap water...it will work fine.

2002AmSE
01-13-2004, 03:00 PM
We have a water softener now, although I drank it with no complaints the 6 years or so before we got one. It's got a built in reverse osmisis whole house active-charcoal-based filter that gets all the chlorine and taste out as well, now it tastes like nothing, which is what it should taste like, I trust it in my car much more now, although the cars we used to have we didn't even think about it, we just threw in tap. Whatever you do, just make sure that if you have any of those lead-acid batteries with the fill-caps on top that they get filled with distilled and not tap water, because I know those cause chemical degredation to those batteries with using tap water

videoman
01-13-2004, 08:48 PM
I do have a fair bit of time left before I need a flush, but I was interested in what feedback some people have on it.

eric99gt
01-14-2004, 06:22 AM
but what everybody is forgetting is the purpose of coolant. too keep the engine cool. i'm sure u knew this but my point is with those contaminants in the coolant ur lowering the specific heat capacity of the water therefore making the water heat alot easier. I'm sure it doens't make any noticeable difference, but there still may be a small temp diff.

Slim
01-14-2004, 07:09 AM
Where I live, before the water reaches the lake, it seeps through a limestone escarpment. Anything that is exposed to hot water over time gets covered in lime scale. This includes car radiators. If you look at an older car in southern Ontario, you will see tonnes of lime scale buildup in the rad tubes. The only way to avoid it is to either a) use distilled water or b) flush your cooling system with some sort of scale remover.