anyone with flush mounted decks? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : anyone with flush mounted decks?

quinton
10-09-2002, 10:48 PM
anyone have their deck flushmounted? if so, did you make the kit yourself or did you find one and customize it a bit to fit? post some pics if you do.

grandGTR
10-10-2002, 07:54 AM
Well my installer is doing just that.. It can not go back much more than it is now, he will bring the dash out with filler and then make it a standard single din opening. I got the idea from a shop in JAX, FL that did this already to a grand am it does look nice.

I will dig up those pics later.

quinton
10-10-2002, 02:24 PM
thanks im looking forward to it..

grandGTR
10-10-2002, 06:07 PM
Sorry for the delay I had to find the power cord for the dvd drive. lol. Just do not use it much.

Anyway the pic is shaky, but you can see everything fine.

quinton
10-10-2002, 07:17 PM
looks good.. how much did it cost?

grandGTR
10-10-2002, 07:29 PM
well that is not my car but a very nice guy I meet at the finals here. He had sone amazing system. Not the loudest, but extreme SQ, and quality install. Anyway he got that doen at a shop in Jacksonville FL right down from where I use to live. his total install was abotu 6K, but the install said he would do it for about 150.

The installer here said he will do it for about 30 or 60 depending on what he see once the dash is apart, but that is not smoothing the dash, only a fiberglass bracket to hold the HU that will be molded to that OEM dash piece... A littel different set up but this way I can have it accented better and look more custom. That other gusy wanted a very stealth look, and he got it good.

pounder
10-10-2002, 07:49 PM
looks very nice..i may end up doing that on my GA..i love to work with fiberglass and have a natural knack for it..doesnt look like it would be very hard at all..better then the metra plate I have in there now ;)

grandGTR
10-10-2002, 08:03 PM
Well from what I gather the most diccicult part is to get the dash texture smooth evenly. the OEM has a bumpy look and feel, so all taht has to be fileld and smoothed out and all. Wel lI guess not hard, but time consuming

pounder
10-10-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by grandGTR
Well from what I gather the most diccicult part is to get the dash texture smooth evenly. the OEM has a bumpy look and feel, so all taht has to be fileld and smoothed out and all. Wel lI guess not hard, but time consuming

yeah man finishing is always the crappy part..it doesnt look liek his is "bumped" like the factory piece is..and you got me stumped on how to do it..lol

Green99GT
10-10-2002, 11:57 PM
you can flushmount that w/o building the fiberglass. its a pain and youll never have your stock stereo, but i did it on my 99. cut out the tray at the bottom, then there is a metal bracket in the back the runs virtecly, get it out any way possiable. used a metra kit.