Transmission Fluid Change [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid Change

Brendon
01-13-2004, 10:47 PM
For those of you that have done this, how many quarts of fluid did you have to replace after dropping the pan?

Also, did you change the filter? If so, was it as easy as it looks?

And lastly, for those that have had their fluid changed, did you notice much of a difference in the way the tranny behaved/performed?

Thanks for any help!

Black2K1GT
01-14-2004, 05:21 AM
1. 7 Quarts
2. The filter is not hard at all to get out just messy
3. My shifts improved and acceleration seemed smoother

Rba007
01-14-2004, 09:28 AM
How many miles do you have brendon? I replaced mine at 90,000, and my transmission really took a dump shortly after the fluid change (used GM synchromesh fluid). Big delays between full throttle shifts now, like its slipping a bit.

Anyway, just something to think about.

atc3434
01-14-2004, 09:58 AM
I had a full flush done at 50k miles... with the machine that gets most of the fluid... not a pan drop. I dunno how many quarts it was.. but the tranny seemed about the same before and after... my fluid didn't look too bad. It might have been a shade crisper shifting... but hardly noticable if at all.

Manitcor
01-14-2004, 09:58 AM
when dropping your pan besure to loosen all the bolts a little then take the bolts off one corner so it all drains out in one area, helps keep the mess down.

Be sure to have kitty litter ready.

You will prob see smoother and more responsive shifts.

Brendon
01-14-2004, 11:11 AM
I'm at 65,000 miles... but the tranny only has 54,000 on it. I doubt I'm in dire need of a change but I think it would help.
Do you think I could get away with just replacing the gasket? I checked the fluid and it doesn't seem dirty... so maybe I could get away without changing the filter.
And kitty litter? For what? lol

Thanks for all the help!

01silverGT
01-15-2004, 03:47 PM
1st- the gasket is re-useable so you won't need a new one
2nd-the filter is easy just replace it
3rd- the kitty litter (for when tranny fluid goes all over your driveway if yuo don't let on e corner drain out!!)

Unleashedbeast
05-30-2005, 10:21 AM
How many miles do you have brendon? I replaced mine at 90,000, and my transmission really took a dump shortly after the fluid change (used GM synchromesh fluid). Big delays between full throttle shifts now, like its slipping a bit.

Anyway, just something to think about.

Why did you put sychromesh in your auto tranny? Should have stuck with standard Dex III

AznGA
05-30-2005, 10:22 AM
I had mine flushed at 60k miles. It slips more now.

iroc355
05-30-2005, 12:10 PM
I work for an Allison distributor, we use Transynd synthetic oil, stuffs super expensive to buy over the counter but i will get it cheap, do you guys think it would be worth running in my trans?

amd_hcds
06-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Does the Transmission fluid change really affect shifting & acceleration in a way or another too much or not too much? And is it hard to change the Filter? I mean can I do it myself or I have to let a mechanic do it for me?

eBandit
06-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Does anyone know if I would benifit from using either high mileage transmission fluid or synthetic rather than using regular fluid? I have a 2000 Grand Am GT with 85,000 miles on it. I am about to change the fluid and filter (but if I was to go with synthetic I will extract as much as possible out rather than just the 6.9 quarts you have to replace with a pan drop).

grande
06-04-2005, 09:53 PM
i'm no mechanic but it has been my experience that once you get up in your mileage on an automatic and you start changing the fluid, you're gonna have problems unless it has been maintained and the fluid and filter kept up.

bottom line, if it aint broke dont fix it or you will REALLY be fixing it later.