Starting problems!!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Starting problems!!!

AaronGAGT
01-15-2004, 10:32 PM
Ok... I started the car about 12 hours ago and it was running fine. Went out about 15 minutes ago and I got problems. The thing will turn over and come sooo close to starting... but then it just wont make it all the way (appx. 1 second away from gettin over the last little chug). What could the possible problems be??

balludc
01-15-2004, 11:07 PM
check the battery.... this time of year, batteries are more opt to die.

-dc

Helmut
01-15-2004, 11:30 PM
Is your "security" light blinking? I had the same problem yesterday and it sounds like the Passlock system in our cars is prone to failure which makes the car act like it's out of gas.

If the light is blinking, wait about 15 mins until it stops blinking and then start her up!

AaronGAGT
01-15-2004, 11:34 PM
Its not the battery... its turning over... but not "starting"

No blinking lights.. everything is fine from what I can see.

I suspecting something fuel or spark related... fuel pump turns on too

Mike Jung
01-16-2004, 04:37 AM
Water in the gasoline/fuel line/tank ?
If your gas tank is low & it is really cold outside, the gasoline with water might be frozen or gelled-up.

Try putting Gas Line Anti-freeze/Water Remover that contains some (I.P.A.) Isopropyl Alcohol [NO METHANOL - not the cheap type that has it in it] in your gas tank & fill-up your gas tank to full & never let the gas tank get below 1/2 (water condensation can happen inside the gas tank, when it is low & cold outside)
Especially, if you have never used any gas line anti-freeze (with IPA) or water remover before & you don't use ethanol (up to 10%) blended gasoline.

Got to like (up to 10%) ethanol blended gasoline at this time of the year.
Ethanol is a natural anti-freeze & water remover.
It makes the car start easier in the deep freezing cold.

Gimli
01-16-2004, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by AaronGAGT
Its not the battery... its turning over... but not "starting"

Could still be the battery. I had a problem at the beginnning of winter where my battery would lose a few cold cranking amps whenever it got cold and the colder it was the lower the amps were.

The result was slower cranking the colder it got but I changed it in time not to get stranded.

Try to boost your car with another as your cranking. If it starts without problems it's time to get an Optima RedTop!

ArcticGT
01-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Umm lets see here, todays high is 15 degrees and from the time of your post it was roughly 0 degrees when you tried to start the car. Cold weather will reek havoc with your car, especially when its this cold. Im sure I will have a treat getting mine to start after being parked for over a week.

Slim
01-16-2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by ArcticGT
Umm lets see here, todays high is 15 degrees and from the time of your post it was roughly 0 degrees when you tried to start the car. Cold weather will reek havoc with your car, especially when its this cold. Im sure I will have a treat getting mine to start after being parked for over a week.

That's why you need a block heater. :p

I've plugged my car in a few times this winter already. Starts on the first crank and warms up in about a minute. Gotta love GM Canada. :thumbs:

AaronGAGT
01-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Heh... well its still not startin and the battery is still pretty new. I'm gonna give that gas antifreeze idea and my dad mentioned something about starting fluid that you spray into your TB? Anyone know if that stuff has good results? And for some reason.. when its turnin over... i feels like its shaking a helluva lot more than usual... like its almost scary..

Kdawg207
01-16-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Gimli
Could still be the battery. I had a problem at the beginnning of winter where my battery would lose a few cold cranking amps whenever it got cold and the colder it was the lower the amps were.

The result was slower cranking the colder it got but I changed it in time not to get stranded.

Try to boost your car with another as your cranking. If it starts without problems it's time to get an Optima RedTop!

Yes sir :thumbs:

i had the same exact issue...it was a bad battery...went Redtop and clear skies since

p.s. my battery was 7 months old from the factory...new doesn't mean squat

AaronGAGT
01-16-2004, 11:16 AM
Hmm... I'll swap with someon else battery and try that.

2000GA
01-16-2004, 11:33 AM
its the battery

my housemates jeep would crank and it would want to start but wouldnt. all of the interior lights would work to. he had the battery tested and there was a bad cell.

balludc
01-16-2004, 12:28 PM
battery ;) same problem with mine... but my car actually started then quit. thought it was the altenator, luckily it was just a battery.

i'm hook your battery up to one from your dad's car... more like sharing juice. i did that with my sister's GA when my battery acted up. when hooked up, it started perfectly. try that and see if that works... if so, get your a new battery

and try the anti-freeze gas method too... after reading this post, i will be trying that stuff shortly. my car has a stroke when i start it from a cold in the winter now. thought it was injectors but after reading this, it could be water in the gas tank.

-dc

ArcticGT
01-16-2004, 01:04 PM
See if the indicator on the top of the battery is red or green. If its red, your battery is dead.

Tweeter
01-16-2004, 02:07 PM
It is very cold and it is not starting, Your plugs are shot. How many miles do you have on the plugs. Had it happen a few years ago. Got up to go to school car would not start. Turn over all day long. put new plugs in started right up.

Gimli
01-16-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by ArcticGT
See if the indicator on the top of the battery is red or green. If its red, your battery is dead.

Well it'll never be red because it can't change colour. It's just a green ball that floats on the liquid in the battery. If you can't see it it's because you battery leaked and it dropped to the bottom.

AaronGAGT
01-17-2004, 02:46 AM
Ok... here's an update. I didnt do anything to it yet... this morning i went out to start it and it started fine... definitely one of those wtf moments... plugs are new since summer, battery still had the green ball... i'm guessing the extreme cold from that one night did somethin to the gas.

Gimli
01-17-2004, 05:37 AM
Nope, I call bettery, that was exactly my symptoms. It probably warmed up just enough to make it work again.

Unless you want to get stranded when it gets really cold again I'd have it replaced ASAP.

AaronGAGT
01-17-2004, 11:35 AM
Is there a way I can find out for sure or not if its a bad cell?

2000GA
01-17-2004, 11:49 AM
autozone does free electrical system tests