Stalling @ 80mph [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Stalling @ 80mph

pontga00
01-16-2004, 02:45 PM
I was on the highway the other day going about 80 mph, when my car just died. I saw all the lights on the dash go on and was like WTF!!! Anyway, does anyone know what could cause this. I really don't think it is battery or alternator related, cuz this happened last week, and the car has started everyday since then. Occasionally, when I am off the gas, or stopped at a light, the car will also die. I'm thinking it might be my plugs and wires, since I'm at 75k miles. Anyone have any other ideas?

Also, when I am accellerating on the highway, when I hit about 5K RPM, my "Trac Off" light and "Brake" light will flash on and off, but then when I lay off the gas they stop blinking. What's up with that???

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

02widetrackgt
01-16-2004, 02:55 PM
I would get a tune up, and check your fuel filter for clogs, if its clean, then i would assume your fuel pumps on the way out

atc3434
01-16-2004, 10:07 PM
It defintely sounds like a computer problem of some sort. The fact that your getting different lights and stuff indicates the computer isn't happy about something. Perhaps getting the codes read would be a good place to start.

Panacea
01-16-2004, 10:21 PM
Failing alternator or battery?

MetaGTP1
01-16-2004, 11:38 PM
When that happened to my car, the alternator died.:mad:

juanvan
01-17-2004, 12:19 PM
Happened to my 92 bonnie, alt was dead :(
But the car just went wacko would not start till the moring after
ran good after that
2cents

2002AmSE
01-22-2004, 08:12 PM
Wow, one time while i was in my moms 99 GA, she was driving and what happened was the all the dash lights turned on and it did the needle sweep while on the highway, is this what happened to you?? It was scary, but fortunetly hasnt happened again to us. *knock on wood* I dont think the engine quit though...

silverbullet
01-22-2004, 09:48 PM
my 00 shut off twice on the way to work last week. the lights went dim and lost power...i pulled off, turned the key back, and then turned it over again...it fired up. i drove for another five miles and it did the same thing. if i would let it set for a while it was ok and would run fine. in the evening i threw the battery tester on and it read ok (volts, CCA's, & battery condition). i loosened the mount that holds the battery in place so that i could move it around. when i did that i found out that i had a dead cell in the battery. put a new one in and she runs fine now.

i only got the battery dummy light though and only for a fraction of a second.

pontga00
01-23-2004, 07:05 AM
2002amSE - That is exactly what happened to me...I pulled over and started it up and it started fine...it hasn't happened to me since, but I still think something might be wrong.

GreatGraySkwid
01-23-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by KmanGT1
When that happened to my car, the alternator died.:mad:
:stupid:

Try not to do what I did, and you'll be happy you're not 300 miles from home when it finally goes kaput.