<<<<N00b Here [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : <<<<N00b Here

saturnsubohio
01-17-2004, 09:03 AM
Hey all

Tried searching for the answer and didnt find it

Have a 1998 Grand Am SE V6 (3400) and the alternator has gone crappy on it......anyone on these boards have a write up on how to replace it? or have a link to go to? Any Help is appreciated

Blackrider
01-17-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by saturnsubohio
Hey all

Tried searching for the answer and didnt find it

Have a 1998 Grand Am SE V6 (3400) and the alternator has gone crappy on it......anyone on these boards have a write up on how to replace it? or have a link to go to? Any Help is appreciated

No How To's have been done that i know of but Just take a look at it. It really isent that hard.

AznGA
01-17-2004, 10:25 AM
And 98 GA comes with 3100.

Blackrider
01-17-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by AznGA
And 98 GA comes with 3100.

Whats your Point?

AznGA
01-17-2004, 11:46 AM
Just correcting it. Maybe he swapped it.

Blackrider
01-17-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by AznGA
Just correcting it. Maybe he swapped it.

Oww my bad man I dident know what you where talking about I dident see his mistake there. (If it is)

Panacea
01-17-2004, 06:31 PM
You can pick up a hayes manual at autozone. It'll give you the procedure in there.

All you really have to do is take off the accessories belt, unhook the power wire on the alternator, unbolt the alternator, and repeat the process backwards to reinstall it.

Should be a simple job... One thing you must make sure of doing is making sure your battery is fully charged before you start your car up with the new alternator. If you do not, the alternator will be struggling to recharge the battery and you'll end up replacing that alternator in the near future.

Blackrider
01-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Panacea
One thing you must make sure of doing is making sure your battery is fully charged before you start your car up with the new alternator. If you do not, the alternator will be struggling to recharge the battery and you'll end up replacing that alternator in the near future.

Probably what killed the bat in the first place, do you have a system or have you had a Bad Batt in the past year?

saturnsubohio
01-18-2004, 11:03 AM
NOT MY CAR......no theres nothing in it....it is bone stock and it was my mistake it is the 3100 engine..i just dont understand how to get the serpentine/drive belt off the alternator pulley

and there are only 3 bolts holding this thing in cuz i was looking at this site http://www.e-toolbox.com/ads/rq.cfm and there is connections between like the air box and all this stuff that doesnt look like its possible

Thanks for all the input

Cnix16
01-18-2004, 11:07 AM
off topic, where you live in ohio?

Blackrider
01-18-2004, 11:14 AM
NOT MY CAR......no theres nothing in it....it is bone stock and it was my mistake it is the 3100 engine..i just dont understand how to get the serpentine/drive belt off the alternator pulley

and there are only 3 bolts holding this thing in cuz i was looking at this site http://www.e-toolbox.com/ads/rq.cfm and there is connections between like the air box and all this stuff that doesnt look like its possible

Thanks for all the input

Do you know where the bet Tenchoner is? Because at the end of it there is a 3/8th bit that if you get a 3/8th Pry bar in there you Pull back/push forward the belt losens right up.

saturnsubohio
01-18-2004, 12:14 PM
Cleveland...Ohio.....where u at?

and NO!@!@!!@!@!!?@!?@! thats the biggest problem i am having.cuz the first step in every manual is to "remove drive belt" well i cant find a tensioner pulley to remove it :blushing: so if you can point me in the direction of that i'd say i could figure it out

Cnix16
01-18-2004, 12:15 PM
Hudson

saturnsubohio
01-18-2004, 01:04 PM
STATUS REPORT:

Okay well ive got the 2 bolts from the alternator out and the one metal ring off the alternator....but i cant figure out how to get the belt off or how to access the plastic clip on the underside of the alternator.

Blackrider
01-18-2004, 02:27 PM
STATUS REPORT:

Okay well ive got the 2 bolts from the alternator out and the one metal ring off the alternator....but i cant figure out how to get the belt off or how to access the plastic clip on the underside of the alternator.

Find the Belt Tenchoner it should be located under the Alt. Use a 3/8th Pry bar and stick it in the 3/8's Hole at the end of the tenchoner, you then Pull or push (I cant remeber) and all the ention will come off the belt then with your other hand just slide it off.