Broken Mirror Housing Fix [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Broken Mirror Housing Fix

zeddsdead
01-17-2004, 10:38 AM
seems like my car is just falling apart lately. first i spin my car around right into a 96 camry and bust a section of my rear tail light and put some nice black scratches on my paint.
and now...well yesterday, i was driving down the road...i hear a snap...i was like hmm wtf was that. then i notice my rear view mirror is about to fall off as im driving about 50 mph. so i slow down lower the window and hold onto the mirror as i pull on to a side street and get off the car. this is what i find:
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=328354

zeddsdead
01-17-2004, 10:41 AM
im short on cash right now....think it might be possible with epoxy or somethin to fix this? can i still salvage this mirror? if i buy a new one i would have to get it painted to match. ugh this sucks! please help me fix this...at least for a temporary fix. what can i do?
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=328357

CyberRad
01-17-2004, 10:48 AM
You can do what the guy who owned my car before me did to my mirror housings. He screwed them in with dry wall screws. :tool: Held pretty good for a year or so.

tenspeed
01-17-2004, 02:56 PM
I would try to reattach the "nuts" with epoxy.

I can't tell from the picture what kind of hardware it is. I see screws coming thru the door and something on the ends of the screws.

AaronGAGT
01-17-2004, 03:42 PM
same thing happened to me... I took the broken pieces out then epoxied them back on.

zeddsdead
01-17-2004, 05:53 PM
ok cool, ill make a trip to walmart and see what i can find. how has your mirror been holding up ?

Rogue9
01-18-2004, 02:22 PM
epoxy works, but because of the vibration and stuff (the epoxy gets brittle and cracks after a while. It's winter up here so that probably didn't help. the epoxy only held for a few months. a screw between the posts into a plastic clip on the other side in the door held really well till I got another one.

tim_se1
01-18-2004, 08:15 PM
my friend busted one of mine off and for a temporary fix we just screwed it on from the inside. looke kinda funny for a month with 3 screws sticking out the housing. only cost him about 60 bucks to get another one.

action
01-19-2004, 08:59 AM
Use epoxy to fuse the plastic together, then use windsheild urethane to surround it. THis stuff sticks like snot and wont crack off again. Mine's been on in this fashion for 2 years now.