Brake trouble [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brake trouble

kevin231
01-17-2004, 11:57 AM
My 2002 Grand Am Gt1 has 43000km on it i put brand new front pads on the car at 32000 machines the rotors and serviced the back and front calipers. My question is 5months and 11 000km later my front pads are 35% worn and back ones are 40%worn is that normal another 5 months from now ill need to do another brake job on the vehicle in less then a year. Has anyone had a similar expeirence like this?

And if so is there any particular part that may be causing this GM said it looks like premature wear.

juanvan
01-17-2004, 01:16 PM
You ride the brakes at all lol j/k :wink:
But maybe b/c of the rotors being shaved, you will have more heat and the pads would wear faster.
You doing alot of the stop go stop go or speed up slow down uposed to the cost?
2cents

VaGT
01-20-2004, 07:50 AM
Welcome to the "I hate the Grand Am Brakes" Club. You are member # 9,999,999,999.

When your brakes wore out the first time, you should have just bought new quality aftermarket. The brakes on the GA are too small for the vehicle size, so the low quality of the GM rotor makes a bad combination.

BLKSHDW
01-20-2004, 08:47 AM
so what do we buy like powerslot or something to that effect

*** member # 10,000,000,000

VaGT
01-20-2004, 10:29 AM
I bought Powerslots, but pretty much any quality aftermarket part would work fine for less than a powerslot (or GM replacement). ... Raybestos, Napa, Brembo would all be better than the GM Rotor.

I did have a problem with the Brembo when I used an aggressive pad like the EBC Greenstuff with them. I warped them twice in 4K miles. So, unless you get an upgraded rotor, then stick to a normal pad (carbon metallic, ceramic, etc)

When mine needed replaced, the tech at my dealer actually managed to brag about the quality of the GM rotors without breaking out into laughter. He urged me not to go aftermarket. They wanted to charge me over $200 I think for a 2nd rotor turn and new pads.

A member of the family who happens to be a GM Tech is of the opinion that they are made by the lowest bidder. I think the 5 years of TSB's dealing with rotor warping speaks for itself. I got 50,000 miles on the stock brakes on my last car. GM's barely made it to 28K and not without a rotor machining at 5K miles.

BLKSHDW
01-20-2004, 11:18 AM
well i have 50000k on my stock brakes and i am just now looking to get the pads replaced, and i have some extra cash and i was debating between a radio, or the power slot rotors... cross drilled and slotted rotors

99StudlyGT
01-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by VaGT
Welcome to the "I hate the Grand Am Brakes" Club. You are member # 9,999,999,999.

When your brakes wore out the first time, you should have just bought new quality aftermarket. The brakes on the GA are too small for the vehicle size, so the low quality of the GM rotor makes a bad combination.
Exactly.. Buy aftermarket brakes. Enough said.

02PONtiac!
01-20-2004, 11:36 AM
me auto has 38,500 miles hand me aven't changed da brakes yet. Boyakasha! me actually just bought some hof those cheap ass drilled/slotted rotors off hof Ebay. me is waitin fer em to arrive through da mail so me can put em on. me don't fer real need to be changin me brakes yet 'coz they isn't warn dat bad but i ave noticed a shakin at aroun 65 mph whun me hit da brakes. me guess me aven't had to change me brakes yet 'coz me usually drive dig hand old geezer on his way to church on Sunday!!

99StudlyGT
01-20-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by 02PONtiac!
me auto has 38,500 miles hand me aven't changed da brakes yet. Boyakasha! me actually just bought some hof those cheap ass drilled/slotted rotors off hof Ebay. me is waitin fer em to arrive through da mail so me can put em on. me don't fer real need to be changin me brakes yet 'coz they isn't warn dat bad but i ave noticed a shakin at aroun 65 mph whun me hit da brakes. me guess me aven't had to change me brakes yet 'coz me usually drive dig hand old geezer on his way to church on Sunday!!
Why are you typing like that?.. Is it funny? Do you have a problem?..

BLKSHDW
01-20-2004, 01:21 PM
yeah really, ^^^what he said!!! :tool:

02PONtiac!
01-21-2004, 09:39 AM
What? typing like what? Come on now, You don't know who
Da Ali G is? Oh man.

Check Dis out! Boyakasha! http://www.webdez.net/alig/