New problem-rack [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New problem-rack

1/2dolla
01-18-2004, 11:01 AM
18,000 on my 2001 and the rack and pinion is getting replaced under warranty. It just started leaking.

Anybody know what the cost would be without warranty?

tenspeed
01-18-2004, 12:02 PM
$400 at Rock Auto for the rack. Add a couple of hundred for the installation.

AaronGAGT
01-18-2004, 12:02 PM
whats a rack and pinion do anyways? and where is it?

klc317
01-18-2004, 06:10 PM
Not sure of its exact price, but mine was also replaced under warranty at 18,000 miles. I think its the part that pushes the wheels from side to side while turning.

tenspeed
01-19-2004, 08:51 AM
The pinion is a small gear that is attached to the end of your steering column. It transfers the turning of the wheel into a long metal piece with teeth called the rack. There are ball joints on the end of the rack that tie into the steering knuckle, they are called tie rods.

When you turn the steering wheel the pinion spins which moves the rack left or right. The rack moves the front tires thru the tie rods. Tie rods are adjusted when you get a wheel alignment. They keep the wheels pointed in the same direction.

The rack is located low on the firewall between the engine and the people compartment.

AaronGAGT
01-19-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by tenspeed
The pinion is a small gear that is attached to the end of your steering column. It transfers the turning of the wheel into a long metal piece with teeth called the rack. There are ball joints on the end of the rack that tie into the steering knuckle, they are called tie rods.

When you turn the steering wheel the pinion spins which moves the rack left or right. The rack moves the front tires thru the tie rods. Tie rods are adjusted when you get a wheel alignment. They keep the wheels pointed in the same direction.

The rack is located low on the firewall between the engine and the people compartment.

cool. thanks man! :thumbs:

BLACK99GT/ROB
01-25-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by 1/2dolla
18,000 on my 2001 and the rack and pinion is getting replaced under warranty. It just started leaking.

Anybody know what the cost would be without warranty?
I got my rack from Advance for $237 after core refund of $159.Had it installed at a local dealership for around $250(don't remember exactly).The rack from the dealership would have cost alot more.

02PONtiac!
01-25-2004, 09:07 PM
My Steering rack was replaced after 11,000 miles. I had a weird knocking when I moved the steering wheel back and forth quickly. The warranty covered it.

BLACK99GT/ROB
01-25-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by 02PONtiac!
My Steering rack was replaced after 11,000 miles. I had a weird knocking when I moved the steering wheel back and forth quickly. The warranty covered it.

Mine made the same noise,but unfortunately I had no warranty.