Help installing remote start [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help installing remote start

Rain77man
01-18-2004, 11:01 PM
I took a shot at installing a remote start in my gf's GT today without much success, so I'm asking for some help from any installers or anyone with exprience. The system I was installing is the Rattler 369d remote start with keyless entry. I have the 557L for the passlock as well. Well here goes, I had just about all the neccisary wire connected. I know I had the main wires, 12v, ACC, IGN, Starter, all wired and they were correct. Tested them at least 10 times to make sure they were right. I also had the passlock hooked up correct as well. Now my problem is I could not get the car to remote start.

I had the brake safety switch hooked up and my hoodpin, however i am unsure if there is a neutral safety switch(which is #1). Also I didnt have a tach wire hooked up, will the car even attempt to start without that hooked up? I spent a very large amount of time to try an get this to work and figure with what i had already hooked up the car would at least try to start, but i've been reading and seeing alot about tach wires so i'm wondering if maybe that was my problem? I mean everytime i tried to start it i got absolutely no response from the car, no clicking, no attempt, no nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Could it just be that tach wire or are there others i need as well.

I would also like to know if there is a factory alarm arm/disarm I have to hook up to at all. And what else i would need to get the keyless entry to work as well as the trunk release. Any help will be very much appreciated.

iceman
01-18-2004, 11:09 PM
Does remote start takeover work at all (pressing start button when the car is already started, and take the key out?) not sure if your alarm has it but it is a good test to find out if the problem is your ignition wire hookups or passlock.

If it is not even cranking at all, then sounds like your hood pin is not correctly wired. As far as not hooking up the tach, that depends on if your alarm has a tachless mode or not.

No factory alarm/disarm, just have to engage the 555L when remote starting.

Rain77man
01-18-2004, 11:16 PM
I dont believe the takeover worked. Just for info the model I am installing is the Rattler 369d I had the wire hooked up correctly i believe. 12v to the red wire, ACC to the orange wire, IGN 1 to the pink wire, IGN 2 to the green wire, and STARTER to the yellow wire all hooked up at Ignition cylinder next to the radio. The only things i didnt have hooked up was a neutral safety switch and the tach wire.

iceman
01-18-2004, 11:28 PM
Youll need 12v to red, starter to yellow, ign1 to pink, ign2 to dark green, and ACC to brown. orange ACC is not needed for RS.

Neutral safety switch unused since we have autos.

Tach - like I said depends if your alarm can use tachless install or not - a link to an install manual would help

Rain77man
01-18-2004, 11:34 PM
Ok i dont think really that the one ACC wire would make a difference. here is the link to the manual

http://www.directed.com/guides/manuals/ig/rattler/G369R_7-03.pdf

RiChWhA
01-19-2004, 11:54 AM
a tach wire is used only if your car is hard to start, like it has to crank for a long time. My bet would be the hood pin switch or see if the remote start was correctly wired to the 12V constant wire. if you need anything else pm, i might know.
Rich

Rain77man
01-19-2004, 12:18 PM
Well the hoodping switch wasnt hooked up yet an it wasn't seeing ground so i know that is not the problem. I had 2 12V wires from the Remote start hooked up to a red 12v wire behind the ignition, but now i'm hearing that i should have hooked up one to the red wire and another to a red/black wire that is also behind there.

iceman
01-19-2004, 12:34 PM
Nah, 2 12v go to the red

Rain77man
01-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Ok well I also have the ACC wire hooked up to orange instead of brown will that make a difference?

iceman
01-19-2004, 12:50 PM
When I talked to the installers that gave me advice, they said use the brown.

RiChWhA
01-19-2004, 01:19 PM
i had 2 12V constant red wires in my 99. the brown should make a difference too, its better to install everything correctly anyway, so u dont blow a starter, like someone:banghead

Rain77man
01-19-2004, 10:41 PM
Ok well everything is working i got everything hooked up an 100% working including the passlock bypass. Now my only problem is that the heater/AC fan does not come on when remote started until the key is turned til on.

iceman
01-19-2004, 10:42 PM
Did you fix that ACC wire ???

Rain77man
01-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Yea I switched that to the brown wire. I'm thinking maybe it should have been the orange?

iceman
01-19-2004, 11:04 PM
Nope, brown, thats how mine is and it works fine. Double check your connections.

Rain77man
01-19-2004, 11:09 PM
So you have no wires hooked up to the orange wires at all an your heated/AC and fans work?

iceman
01-19-2004, 11:19 PM
Yep.

I can't remember off the top of my head if heater/AC is on ACC or IGN2.... but either way, check them. Does the radio come on?

Rain77man
01-19-2004, 11:19 PM
I have seen on many sites the there are two ACC wires. The first one being brown and the second being orange for the HVAC. Would it be ok to hook up my ACC wire from the remote start to both the brown and orange wire?

RiChWhA
01-19-2004, 11:51 PM
here is a wiring diagram i used.

http://bulldogsecurity.com/New%20Wires/New%20Wires/Wires/pongram00-01.htm

Rain77man
01-20-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by iceman
Yep.

I can't remember off the top of my head if heater/AC is on ACC or IGN2.... but either way, check them. Does the radio come on?

Yea the radio is on...I have a feeling that heater/AC is on the orange ACC.

iceman
01-20-2004, 07:09 AM
like I said mine works and I am not using that.. But you are welcome to try, it's more than possible you are right.

Rain77man
01-20-2004, 11:30 PM
Ok everything is working fine now. I even got the remote start hooked up to work with the factory remote, however now i have another problem. I noticed the night I got it working first that when we started the car the Service Engine soon light came on. I figured it was no big deal because i could just reset it with the reset button, but forgot that that button is for the oil light. So now I'm clueless why this light is on. We did have to jump start the car that night because I killed the battery starting the car so much while trying to get everything to work, but I doubt that has anything to do with it. I dont see how this thing could really cause any troubles with the engine. If I disconnect the battery will that reset the light? And if there is a real problem will that light come back on after it resets? What kind of advice can you give me besides check the gas cap and get the code read.

What I'm hoping is that if i reset the light that if there is a problem it will come back on an then I will get the code read.

iceman
01-20-2004, 11:31 PM
Youll get an SES if the ign wires are not all hooked up

Rain77man
01-20-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by iceman
Youll get an SES if the ign wires are not all hooked up

Yea but I would think that the car wouldnt start either if all the ignition wires weren't hooked up. There's 2 IGN wire correct? One is Pink and the second is Green. They are both hooked up.

Also the light went out once tongiht for a little while after we started and turned the car off a couple times but i dont remember if we RS'd it or started it regularly, but then we went out later and RS'd it and the light was back on again when we went to drive.