Parking Brake light on dash [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Parking Brake light on dash

killerhound
01-19-2004, 07:20 PM
Tonight, like any other night, I washed my car. When I went to leave work, everything was fine on my dash. I stop, get out of my car to close the gate, and my BRAKE light on my dash is lit up. My parking brake lever is fully down, and I know it is because if I start pulling it, the "ding ding ding" from the speakers chime, indicating I am engaging it.

my question is: Why is my dash light on while my brake is off. I don't get it. I get out of the car and come backk and it's on. I cleared my codes tonight with the tech II because of a misfire I recently had, so it's not like it was stored in the computer and now finally lit up.

Any suggestions?

Matt95GT
01-19-2004, 08:45 PM
The brake light has 2 purposes:

1. Parking brake indicator.
2. Brake system malfunction indicator.

Sounds like #2... I would have that checked. That's 1 warning light I wouldn't ignore.

mr03SCT
01-20-2004, 06:33 AM
I had the same problem on my previous car (87 buick lesabre)...and there are 2 reasons:

1) faulty parking brake sensor (usually the case)--easy to fix or replace.
2) low brake fluid in the master cylinder..usually indicating a leak somewhere. (in my case it was a leaking brake fluid from the rear brake cylinder)

killerhound
01-20-2004, 10:19 PM
Fixed it with a tech at work...kinda a faulty switch. The connector that connects the wires to the master cylinder was corroded or something, resulting in two grounds as he said. Two grounds will result in that light lighting up. I'll see how well that theory works. If not, he said the other thing it could have been is a bad float.Thanks guys.

pyro
01-08-2006, 03:36 PM
wow, extremely old and dead thread, but anyways... i looked through the haynes manual and didnt see anything on replacing the parking brake sensor. is this something i should take the car to the shop for or can i attempt it myself. the light doesnt really bother me and i rarely use my parking brake, i would just like to be able to set my cruise on the highway. thanks in advance,
jeremy

pyro
01-09-2006, 07:17 PM
anyone??

Homewrecker
01-09-2006, 09:35 PM
The park brake switch shouldn't be too difficult to access. I've never done it on the GA before but the switch is most likely located inside the console at the lever itself - like most cars I've worked on.

Open up the console and gain access to the lever mechanism and look for the switch. Spray some contact cleaner on it to free it up. Alternatively you could just replace it.

pyro
01-10-2006, 02:42 PM
any idea what it looks like before i open it all up or is it obvious?