My Left Side Window Appears to be out of track and won't go up all the way. HELP Pls! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : My Left Side Window Appears to be out of track and won't go up all the way. HELP Pls!

GRocks10
01-20-2004, 12:44 AM
Hey everyone,

This is a LONG posting but please bare with me and if you have the time to help me out I would surely appreciate it! :)

Just recently, I have been driving like usual.. one day I go eat some dinner with a friend and my windows were going up and down perfectly, you would NEVER have a thought in your mind that something was wrong with it.. never had a problem with it atleast since I bought the car which is used when I purchased it. anyway, I left the place I eat at, got into the car, rolled down the windows as usual and went on to drive to my friends place... went to go roll up the windows and everything worked fine. When I left his house and went to my car to press the button to roll down the window as usual... the actual window started to go DOWN more then it usually does to the part that I started hearing like a clicking noise as if something was stuck and it was trying to move down more... to the point that it would still go up and down but it wouldn't go all the way up and it would stop like half way... but it would also be slower this time. From what I can see.. the window went out of its track because the motor works fine, it goes up and down and works when you press the automatic button so anyway I took it to places for estimates to find out whatsup... all these places will NOT give free estimates and are asking ME to pay them $40, 50, 60 bucks JUST to check out the problem and if I decide not to fix it.. they KEEP the money but if I do ( which they can lie about some BS since they think I supposibly don't know whats wrong with it ) then they put it towards whatever it will cost to fix it.

I actually got a friend of mine that has taken the door panel off before and fixed his car when his window went out of track.. he opened it up and checked it out. Turns out the plastic peice that holds the window in place broke so that was the clicking sound I was hearing but HOW and WHY would this happen?? I don't get it.. its something that you would've never expected to happen! Anyway shops are estimating me at like $200 for a new radiator and $50 to install... and all this mumbo jumbo.. they say since I don't want to pay to have it looked at that its mostlikely the radiator and its not cheap but I already took it apart and noticed its a plastic peice that broke off and thats whats making the window stuck! I had my friend take the plastic peice off so we could easily move the window up and down now and I currently put something inside the door panel to keep the window shut but I want to fix this!!! So guys, do you think its the tracker plastic and if so, how much can I expect to pay for this? Will the mechanics try to screw me around and say something else even though I know nothings wrong with the motor? Any tips.. what do you recommend? I want to fix this right away and $200-$250 is CRAZY for a window to go up and down!

I'm sorry for the long post.. just fustrated.

Thanks,
Gabriel

GRocks10
01-20-2004, 12:50 AM
BTW... I kept the plastic peice that was stuck inside the panel ( the part that broke up but I'm not sure if its the whole peice but the part that came apart from what I remember ). I will be happy to take pics of it and post if anyone can figure out whatsup... if that will help you to understand more and to help me understand what it is exactly so I don't get screwed when fixing it.. also, can I just get the peice myself and have my friend take it apart and try fixing it? anyway thanks everyone!

VaGT
01-20-2004, 06:46 AM
They have to spend the time looking at the problem, so it is only right that you pay them for their time.

Maybe if they were hurting for business they would accomodate you, but you don't want to deal with a place hurting for business unless they are a new business trying to break into the market.

You probably need a new window regulator - which is the motor and track in one piece.

AaronGAGT
01-20-2004, 10:48 AM
Without even reading your post. I'm with Vagt on this.

You can have a perfectly fine motor.. but those sh!tty white clips break. so dont be suprised if you have to pay over $200-250 (if you get from the dealer) plus install just so your window can go down.

New regulator.

GRocks10
01-20-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by VaGT
They have to spend the time looking at the problem, so it is only right that you pay them for their time.

Maybe if they were hurting for business they would accomodate you, but you don't want to deal with a place hurting for business unless they are a new business trying to break into the market.

You probably need a new window regulator - which is the motor and track in one piece.

Thanks for your reply.. the thing is that the motor works perfectly fine. It keeps on working when you press the button to put the window up and down so I know theres NOT a problem with the motor... I know its because the tracker that hold the window in its place broke and that needs to be replaced. Can't I just buy that plastic peice and have my friend install it since hes experienced from doing it before. Like I said, hes done this before and its been known that the window has gotten out of place for him and he put the window back in place but ofcourse my piece that holds in place broke so we can't fix it. I don't want to spend $250+ for a new radiotator to be installed if the tracker peice comes along with it.. I want to buy JUST the peice that needs to be installed so I can fix this. my motor works fine so its not that! Hell, the rest of my other three windows work completely fine aswell.

Thanks for anymore help from anyone! You don't realize how much I appreciate it. What I want to know is if I take it to a window place to have them check it out and pay the $50 bucks to have it estimated and then they tell me it needs a new regulator... but they think I'm a newbie ( since I am except that my friend told me whatsup with it ), can they screw around with me to tell me I need a new regulator in order to get that peice or can I actually get the plastic peice seperate and just have them install it and I can get the whole thing fixed for like under $100 bucks?

Thanks,
Gabriel

mr_eh
01-20-2004, 12:51 PM
these windows breaking is so god damn common, window repair people KNOW about grand ams, i drove into my moms friends place and he said, you know the regulator and everything is all one peice right? ..i signed, 300ish later my window goes up and down *clap*

VaGT
01-20-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by mr_eh
these windows breaking is so god damn common, window repair people KNOW about grand ams, i drove into my moms friends place and he said, you know the regulator and everything is all one peice right? ..i signed, 300ish later my window goes up and down *clap*

Yet another very common problem that GM has let go without a real fix in the past 4 yrs.

I've had both fronts replaced already... and I rarely drive with the windows down. I open the drivers side for a weekly stop at the bank, and maybe a drive through once a month. The passenger's side is open far less.

GRocks10
01-20-2004, 02:49 PM
$300ish..? WOW.. I think I won't be getting this fixed.. I think I will just let the window stay up now.. to much money for me to pay for something that small like a plastic peice and a new motor. Oh man... if I get it fixed, is it possible I can still sell the motor on eBay or something make some money off of it? If so, how much? Maybe someone can use it for there car. I want to recup as much as I can if I have to pay for a new regulator, atleast I'll have it fixed then but $300ish is down right crazy!

Is it possible that it could go out of place from an incident that the car went over a curb at like 30 miles from the side that the window is having this problem? Just wondering if that could be the cause of it breaking.. I mean, my other windows work fine and dandy.

I had a small incident where I didn't hit any car but a curb and I got it all fixed at the body shop from my insurance company. Then a couple weeks down the road after putting the window up and down as usual.. it worked fine. But just maybe, MAYBE, it was broken that whole time when it hit the curb and putting the window up and down made it go out of place more to the point that it finally broke? I'm thinking thats the real reason.. should I get in contact with the body shop again and let the insurance know the job wasn't completed right as the window worked fine at the time that it was in the shop but ofcourse they didn't open the panel to check it out, all they saw was that it worked fine at that moment but after driving for awhile it broke more and more slowly to the point I'm in now.. what do you all think?

Thanks

PontiacGT
01-20-2004, 03:43 PM
i have the exact same problem with my pass. window. me n a friend took it apart one day 2 weeks ago, well i found that one of the rubber holdings along the sides had lost a screw so i put that back in, and it helped, now the window goes up then slides some then finally comes back jsut about good, but i still cant use it. imnot sure what im gonna do but at least it's closed decent now lol. btw, i replaced the one on my drivers before........thank you GM

AaronGAGT
01-21-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by GRocks10
Thanks for your reply.. the thing is that the motor works perfectly fine. It keeps on working when you press the button to put the window up and down so I know theres NOT a problem with the motor... I know its because the tracker that hold the window in its place broke and that needs to be replaced. Can't I just buy that plastic peice and have my friend install it since hes experienced from doing it before.

Ok man. I've gone thru 2 regulators and i need another replaced. Please just listen to me.

Your window motor can work fine. But the regulator assembly comes with a new one regardless. In this case, your regulator track clip has broke. So you need a new regulator all together! You will get a new motor and everything else you need.

Its a sick ass price to pay, we all know, but you gotta bite the bullet or find one from ebay or a salvage yard.

And we'd all love for the dealer to sell those little white clips, but they dont. so you have to pay for the whole thing.

Sure you can try to sell the motor on ebay. I've seen some go for ....$10....

In conclusion (if gettin from dealer):
-You need a new regulator.
-It will come with a new motor whether you need one or not.
-you cant buy new track pieces, so you gotta pay $$$$ for stuff you dont necesarily need. (white clips=fockin stupid! they're just prone to break)

Vince
01-21-2004, 01:19 AM
I'm not a 100% sure, but I think they do sell that piece buy itself now. You might want to check around and see if they do. Although they didn't when I got mine. I had to buy the whole setup cause they wouldn't sell me that stupid little piece. I managed to get it for 160 new from the dealer. I went to a salvage yard and they had only one, and wanted 150 used. i put it in myself, it's not very hard. If you fix i though, just don't use the window. Mines kinda still worked even though it was broken, but after a while the window just fell, so had to get it.

AaronGAGT
01-21-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Vince
I'm not a 100% sure, but I think they do sell that piece buy itself now. You might want to check around and see if they do. Although they didn't when I got mine. I had to buy the whole setup cause they wouldn't sell me that stupid little piece. I managed to get it for 160 new from the dealer. I went to a salvage yard and they had only one, and wanted 150 used. i put it in myself, it's not very hard. If you fix i though, just don't use the window. Mines kinda still worked even though it was broken, but after a while the window just fell, so had to get it.

Hey Vince... how do you get a part cheaper from a dealer as opposed to another dealer?? I thought everything at the dealer's were usually sold at the same price.

And if anyone has an update about the stupid white clip and if they sell it seperately now... please chime in...

Vince
01-21-2004, 01:52 AM
Here's the thing, if you get the job done at the dealer, they will charge you around 250 for the part, and then 75 bucks on hour for labor, don't know how many hours though it takes them. If you get buy the part seperately, they'll probably say around 250 too, but here's the thing, you can bargain with them over the price. GM only pays about 145 for the actual part, and charges you 250 for it. The guy that sold it to me told me he could go as low as 160, and that they would only be making 15 dollars on it. It also depend on who you get though. Cause I went to the same dealer before and they said somehwere around 250, that's when I went to a salvage yard to look for one. After that, I went back to the same dealer, but got someone else to help me, and he sold if to me for 160. Maybe I got lucky, but now you know they pay 145 for them, so I think you have alot of room to bargain. As for the parts sold seperately, It was either this site or gaownersclub.com where they had part numbers to buy those pieces seperate, but I haven't had any reason to check on it, so I haven't. But like I said, not 100 % if there even the right pieces.

VaGT
01-21-2004, 06:35 AM
Guy on ebay sells GM parts (mostly wheels - I bought one) but sent out a letter saying he would give a good price on anything else with a huge markup. He works at a catillac dealership.

His ebay username is frparts - Fitzgerald R-I-C-E Catillac. ... just send him an email through ebay.

ALOT of regulators can be found on Ebay with good prices ($75 or so), but I think most of them are third party.... but they can't be any worse than GM's crap.

Ebay Window Regulators (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&ht=1&query=Window+Regulator+Grand+Am)

AaronGAGT
01-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by VaGT
[BALOT of regulators can be found on Ebay with good prices ($75 or so), but I think most of them are third party.... but they can't be any worse than GM's crap.

Ebay Window Regulators (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&ht=1&query=Window+Regulator+Grand+Am) [/B]

Thanks for the advice. I dont know about those 3rd party products. I bought one and in about one month its broken again. Maybe I just have bad luck

GRocks10
01-25-2004, 01:03 PM
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the advice.. I actually went to check on eBay before I checked on this thread hoping to find regulators for the grandams.. so luckily, I found one with the regulator and motor, clips, etc... the whole thing and its brand new. So, I decided to buy it compared to the completely messed up prices that these auto shops are estimating me at and window places.. anyway, I will go ahead and take it to a shop to have it installed or maybe I can get my friend to do the job. I have a place that said if I can get the parts myself, he'll charge me $60 to do the job so thats good to know.
All this money just to get a window to go up and down! Sad, isn't it?
Regards,
Gabriel