Console lights keep going out [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Console lights keep going out

JohnCarrJr
01-20-2004, 01:58 PM
I'm having some strange issues with my console lights. 2 days ago, after i started my car, I noticed that my dashboard lights weren't lit. I figured they were just dimmed out, so I moved the dimmer over, and they didn't get brighter. I moved it all the way over, and usually, that will turn on the dome light. Dome light didn't come on. I then realized that none of my console lights were lit (stereo, stick shift, speedometer), and I couldn't turn on/off my fog lights. I stopped and started the car, and they all came back on, but then later all went off again.

If I manually turn on the lights with the knob, all the console lights come on fine, and I am able to turn the dome on and off. Of course, if I turn off the car and open the door, the car will then beep at me like mad reminding me I left the lights on.

So, what's up with my car? Is it something I can fix, or should I take it into the shop?

Oh, car is a 2000 Grand Am GT

John

Irate
02-08-2004, 08:48 PM
I would remove your foglight/dimmer switch pannel and check everything out back there first.

JohnCarrJr
02-09-2004, 06:55 AM
What would I be looking for? Are you thinking something might be loose?

I really think that somehow, some way, this is related to my non working horn. My horn recently stopped working as well.

I really having strange electrical issues with the car. First, the trunk doesn't pop via any buttons, horn doesn't work, and now the console lights go out or come on whenever they feel like it.

Irate
02-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Yeah, its sounding like a short. Just double-check all of the connections you can get to, check the fuses - do you have an SVS light? I dunno - it could be a relay or something. Do you have a sunroof?

JohnCarrJr
02-10-2004, 11:40 AM
I don't have a sunroof. What's a SVS light?

Kdawg207
02-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Service Vehicle Soon

SC/TGrandAm
02-10-2004, 12:26 PM
better make sure no water is on or around your bcm.

Panacea
02-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Perhaps a blown fuse?

JohnCarrJr
02-17-2004, 06:36 AM
If it were a blown fuse, wouldn't it always be non-working? I mean, it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

I just gotta suck it up and get it fixed. Need $$$ though. Even if under warranty, I have a $100 deductible.