Questions on buying new [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Questions on buying new

mst
01-20-2004, 04:49 PM
I've tried to search for the answer to this question, and couldn't find it, but I bet it's been asked before so I apologize if I'm asking a time-tired question.

The current incentives on Grand-Ams are too good for me to pass up, so I've started shopping. I'm trying to debate between 3 models, an SE sedan with the value package and the 4 cyl (which is really a good deal), and SE1 with the 'free' V6 upgrade, or a GT coupe (the most expensive option, but actually what I want).

I'm trying to figure out the specific differences between the GT and SE ... I know the ram air HP, 4 wheel discs, slightly bigger and more aggressive tires. But, are there any other differences that I should be thinking about ... like does the GT have any suspension upgrades that make it handle better?

Also, I've been looking at aftermarket mods, and most that I've found are appearance oriented. Are there handling upgrades available?

I'd appreciate any other thoughts about making a decision.

Thanks,
MST

CyberRad
01-20-2004, 06:47 PM
There are several suspension mods. Click here for Suspension Mods (http://www.gaupgrade.com/sus.shtml)

Black03SC/T
01-20-2004, 06:57 PM
As far as I know the GT models do have an upgraded suspension package, it was in the brouchure that I got when I was looking for a new one, not thats its totally performance, there are always upgrades, but it is an upgraded package from the SE model, also you get the dual exhaust with the GT, like you said, the better wheels/tires, you can get the GT in a 2 door, you cannot get the SE in a 2 door model anylonger, and the last thing I can think of is the styling of the car, but its all in what you want and like.

peeps
01-20-2004, 07:44 PM
the only "suspension" difference between the GT and SE is the tires. The GT's have "sport" tires. The rest is identical.....

cavingman
01-20-2004, 07:45 PM
and the tires arent even good :(

Tonyyank
01-20-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by peeps
the only "suspension" difference between the GT and SE is the tires. The GT's have "sport" tires. The rest is identical.....

Your WRONG, there is a difference in suspension for sure....

Ambers steering is WAY different then mine, and when i take a turn in hers going like 30, i almost fall out!!!

Mine being a GT is alot different then the SE

peeps
01-20-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Tonyyank
Your WRONG, there is a difference in suspension for sure....

Ambers steering is WAY different then mine, and when i take a turn in hers going like 30, i almost fall out!!!

Mine being a GT is alot different then the SE it is all in the tires...go put some all season non-performance h-rated tires on it and drive it around. It will drive just like Amber's....

trust me. I had discount tire put on some cheap h-rated yokohama's that has a soft sidewall and my car wobbled like a boat when testing out the steering! I took them right back and got different tires.

Black03SC/T
01-20-2004, 08:16 PM
OK, I just got home from work and grabbed my brouchure, here is the picture of the info on the suspension difference, and it is more than just the wheels...
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=330684

peeps
01-20-2004, 08:19 PM
but IIRC, they have the same part #'s for all suspension parts...

Rba007...can you back me up? I think it was you that found this out....

Tonyyank
01-20-2004, 08:19 PM
i have H rated tires

tenspeed
01-20-2004, 08:29 PM
Read this so you don't get burnt. At least scope out the last chapter.

Car salesman article (http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/page004.html)

AznGA
01-20-2004, 09:52 PM
GT has stiffer suspension than SE. If you are not considering SE2, GT will have better seats, as well as leather wrapped goodies compared to SE1. I wouldn't even consider SE2. It's price is too close to GT.

GTspeed
01-20-2004, 10:18 PM
doesnt the GT have different gearing too?

AznGA
01-20-2004, 10:25 PM
Ya, GT has different gear ratio.
If you get 16 inch rims with SE1, the tire size will be as same as the ones on GT, but GT comes with what they call "high performance" tires that are actually crappy.

99StudlyGT
01-20-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by GTspeed
doesnt the GT have different gearing too?
yeah, final drive or some sh*t.. Anyway, SEs are alot slower, in my experience.

AznGA
01-20-2004, 11:59 PM
V6 SE and GT can be a pretty close race. But under the same circumstances, having drivers weigh the same and stuff, GT is faster.

klc317
01-21-2004, 04:46 AM
Dont forget some other differences like tail-lights, ground effects (body cladding) and front and rear bumper facias. Also GT has dual exhaust out the back with quad tips and SE has single exhaust. SE has chrome trim around the windows, GT does not. GT has 150 mph speedo, SE has 120. GT has the color matched "Grand Am GT" badge on the lower right side of the trunk, SE has chrome "Grand Am" letters in the center lower portion of the trunk. If you do buy a GT, make sure to get the SC/T package with the cool hood and different rear wing. You'll regret not paying the extra for that hood!! Personally, I prefer a GT, but an SE looks great too and has just as much potential if you plan on mods.

VaGT
01-21-2004, 06:44 AM
AFAIK, the GT does have a better/stiffer suspension.

It also has a more aggressive transmission - something I had to have going from a stick to an automatic.

AznGA
01-21-2004, 10:19 AM
Ya, the new SE's look really good and clean. Especially if you order 16 inch chrometechs with it.

mst
01-21-2004, 12:14 PM
Thanks for all the good advice.

It does appear from the brochure that there's difference in the suspension. That's what I was hoping for, I was hoping for something that was entertaining to drive. I suppose I'll drive both, but I'm definitely leaning towards the GT.

I also like that the gearing ratio is different, but am surprised that the fuel mileage then stays the same between the two.

re: tenspeed: I've read the whole series on Edmunds, which is quite enlightening. I've found the best way to buy is to get the dealership internet departments bidding against each other. I'm down at invoice + 4500 rebate + GM card rebate and I'm well under 12 for an SE with value pkg and under 15 for a GT coupe, out the door. That's a lot of car for that money.

So, I'll likely get a GT, and my preference seems to be the coupe, which IMHO looks better than the sedan. Now the biggest problem is picking the right color (I'm leaning towards black)...

Black03SC/T
01-21-2004, 01:48 PM
Black all the way!!! Check out my cardomain HERE (http://www.cardomain.com/id/03blacksct) for pics...

VaGT
01-21-2004, 02:34 PM
Well, the gearing is different, but if you drive both the SE and GT like a grandma, you'll probably get the same mpg.

AznGA
01-21-2004, 05:57 PM
I like the new fusion orange color.

XMBlackGT1
01-21-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by AznGA
I like the new fusion orange color.

:D

Black is awesome too. I have driven SE's and GT's. For whatever reason, and I dont know why, maybe its the cloth seats in our rental cars, but when I get in an SE rental at work, it seems more "solid" than my GT coupe, could be because my GT coupe has leather, but who knows. Also, our SE rentals dont have sunroofs, so that changes the whole body movement of the car also. I am very happy with my 2 GT's. I would definatley spend the cash and get the hood and spoiler. Its definately worth the money. Check out my cardomain- pic of an SCT'd GT and a plain GT together. SCT'd car looks much better. Just my opinion though.....

http://www.cardomain.com/id/fusion_sct

02PONtiac!
01-21-2004, 07:05 PM
Like they say in aviation; Go to the source

mst
01-21-2004, 09:07 PM
Well, I tend to like black as well. I actually have a black/black Corvette (I'm hoping the GA-GT will be ALMOST as much fun to drive but with a backseat). Black is VERY hard to keep clean.

And black03sct ... thanks a hell of a lot for pointing me to the pics of your car. Now I think I've GOT to have an SCT hood on my car!!!

I kind of like fusion orange, but I live in Austin TX, ie. Longhorn country, and everyone is buying the GM burnt orange cars.

What's local is white, black and silver in GT coupes. Of these, black wins, despite the fact that they're a challenge to maintain (my vette has never seen a carwash, and has only been dried with specific cotton towels, and has only been in the rain 4 times).

I'd love to see a Graystone GA-GT. I think that would be my top choice.

AznGA
01-21-2004, 09:17 PM
Ok off topic...do you know that this is the last year for Grand Am? You know we always welcome new Grand Am people, but if you are thinking about future value, it might not be a good idea to buy it at this time.

Lins314
01-29-2004, 02:39 PM
I just bought new, actually.... 2004 GT1. The rebates really are too good to pass up and I've always wanted a GT.. I just got lucky in finding a GT1 and knowing a guy who could hook me up at the dealership :)

action
01-30-2004, 06:35 AM
THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN SUSPENSION!!!!!!!! Go to GM parts direct and look up all components for both models same year and they all have THE SAME PART NUMBERS< springs and all!!!!

Only reason I'd buy a GT is for the final drive ratio (3.21:1 as opposed to the SE's 3.0:1) and the looks.

What the final drive ratio will do is give the GT a better launch but the SE will get better fuel milage and better top end on the highway.

mst
01-30-2004, 08:00 AM
So, I'm finally getting around to going shopping for this car tonight.

I've decided on a GT sedan, and if I can find one I like with the SCT package I'll get that (I love the look of the hood scoops, although $1000 is a chunk of change for this option).

I do know that this generation of Grand Am is being replaced, but current incentives are so good that this is too hard to pass up. $4500 rebate, plus an extra $1000 as a GM supplier.

Black03SC/T
01-30-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by mst
Well, I tend to like black as well. I actually have a black/black Corvette (I'm hoping the GA-GT will be ALMOST as much fun to drive but with a backseat). Black is VERY hard to keep clean.

And black03sct ... thanks a hell of a lot for pointing me to the pics of your car. Now I think I've GOT to have an SCT hood on my car!!!

No problem man, I hope everything works out for ya, post some pics when ya get one.

MetaGTP1
01-30-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by action
THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN SUSPENSION!!!!!!!! Go to GM parts direct and look up all components for both models same year and they all have THE SAME PART NUMBERS< springs and all!!!!

Only reason I'd buy a GT is for the final drive ratio (3.21:1 as opposed to the SE's 3.0:1) and the looks.

What the final drive ratio will do is give the GT a better launch but the SE will get better fuel milage and better top end on the highway. The GT ratio is 3.29:1. The GT suspension is slightly stiffer, than the SE. Stiffer bushings and sway bars.