factory stereo problems & heat/AC fan blower problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : factory stereo problems & heat/AC fan blower problems

silverbullet
01-21-2004, 12:58 PM
I have a 2000 gt. It is all stock besides a couple of minor upgrades. Anyway, the factory delco cd player has been "acting up" lately. Sometimes I can spin on the volume knob all day long without any response in volume. I've noticed that if I pull out on the knob with some slight force it seems to work better. Also, any cd that I put into it skips like hell. I even purchased a few new ones just to make sure it wasn't the discs. I also got one of those cd player cleaner packages from Walmart. No luck. Anyone have any similar problems?

For the fan blower problem, I only have positions 3 thru 5 on the dial. The 1 & 2 positions are like it is off. I have heard that the blower fan resistor needs replaced. Can anyone enlighten me on this problem? thanx.

action
01-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Do you still have warranty???

If not, here goes:

1. Buy a new aftermarket deck. My factory one died (optics were gone-repair shop quoted $200 to repair) so I went out and bought a good JVC MP3 deck for the same $$$.

2. The blower motor resistor is burned out. Common problem with these cars. I just put the 3rd one in mine yesterday, about $25 for the part at the dealer, easy to intall.

Remove the black plastic trim from under the dash on passenger side (will be upside down to you). There is one quick disconnect fastner and 3 - 7mm bolts. Close to the firewall close to the fan you'll see the resistor. Unplug it, remove the 2 bolts (5 or 6mm) (i used a flex joint on the socket to make it easier), bolt new one in and plug it in. Replace trim panels and your done.

What you'll pay for labour to do this, you'll but a basic socket set and can be done in your driveway.

silverbullet
01-21-2004, 02:53 PM
warranty is gone...

when you put the aftermarket deck in did you buy the adapter so that the steering wheel controls would still be functional?

If so, was it a pain in the neck or just some wire splicing.

I have a Pioneer Premier 720 that I could put in but I would have to take it out of my mustang and therefore buy something else for it. I know I can get an oem delco for 365.00 and the wheel controls would hook right up. Or spend three or four hundred dollars on an aftermarket and still pay another 60 dollars for the adapter. I don't know about you, but I find the wheel controls convenient and cool, and they might as well work if they are there.

opinions?

elkymutt
01-21-2004, 03:22 PM
Silver...

I am in the same boat as you, but haven't had any luck either (with the stereo problem anyway). I heard there was an aftermarket adapter but that's as far as I took it. I have the same problem as you but with one more... If I press either "recall" or "4" while listening to a c.d. I can hear a change in the tone of the music being played, but for only a few seconds. Almost like listening to a c.d. with headphones without the headphone jack being all the way in the "hole". Much like losing the stereo quality of the c.d. But this only happens for a few seconds. But it ****es me off for a few minutes afterwards!!!

If we could only find an adapter for the steering wheel controls, I'd rip out the stock deck and use it as a wheel chock! :thumbs:

action
01-22-2004, 11:27 AM
I have the wheel control adaptor, it works great. Just some wires to join into, and place the IR emmitter in front of the IR receiver for the decks remote control.

elkymutt
01-22-2004, 12:49 PM
a few questions action...

1) How much was the adapter
2) Where did you get it
3) How hard was the install
4) Will it work with any aftermarket deck

much appreciated!

silverbullet
01-22-2004, 02:56 PM
go to the PFYC link at the top of this page. It should take you to the "Grand Am store", but if it doesn't...go there. click on the "other stuff" link on the left. scroll down about 3/4 of the page. you will see something called "PAC SWI-X Steering Wheel Audio Control Interface". you can buy it from that website for $57 (plus shipping i assume). It has a brief description and tells of some aftermarket receivers that will not work and it also gives info on the correct signal strength of those which will.

your guess is as good as mine on the installation...can't be much more than splicing wires.

i just saw the link at the bottom of the page for installation instructions for 2001-2003 GA's. click there...pretty decent and has some pics too.

elkymutt
01-23-2004, 06:25 AM
thanks silver, I would have never checked the "other stuff" link...!

IAmCanadian
01-23-2004, 07:18 AM
At least I am not the only one with the volume control problem. When I first bought the car, the volume was cranked right up. Had a biatch of a time turning it down. lol

action
01-23-2004, 08:39 AM
I don't remember the price, I bought mine locally, it works with my JVC deck, and installation was easy. Splice a couple wires neatly and put the IR emmitter in front of the receiver.

elkymutt
01-23-2004, 11:06 AM
Sorry to keep harping on this but what do you mean by putting the Infrared emmitter in front of the receiver? :confused:

silverbullet
01-23-2004, 11:53 AM
it's like on any remote control...the "little clear plastic ball thingy" (technical terms) at the tip of the remote is the emmitter. from the adapter will come a wire (probably some sort of small fiber optic...?) that you have to place in front of your aftermarket deck. this is how the deck receives the signal from the wheel controls.

i think the oem delco just has direct lines to the back of the deck that controls it...aftermarket decks are not compatible as a direct link so we have to run this stupid little emmitter wire to act as another remote...so you put the "little clear ball thingy" in front of the deck somewhere...its the only way to control the aftermarket deck without pulling the wheel of the column and pointing it at the deck everytime you want to control the stereo.

hope that clears things up

elkymutt
01-23-2004, 12:53 PM
That defintely cleared it up! thanx!:thumbs: