Automatic transmission questions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Automatic transmission questions

AznGA
01-21-2004, 07:11 PM
I did some search on this and a lot of people seem to have problems with our auto tranny struggling to shift from 1st to 2nd gear during WOT. I have been experiencing that too. The tranny shifts fine during slow acceleration. I also read about how it could be related to PCM and other stuff. I was wondering since my car is still under warranty, what exact things I could tell the dealer to look at? The only thing I am worried about is the SLP exhaust they could blame it on. Why is our tranny so crappy?

99StudlyGT
01-22-2004, 08:34 AM
Auto trans interceptor fixed that for me.. I'm pretty sure there is nothing "wrong" with the transmission to be fixed, so the dealer can't really do anything..

Black2K1GT
01-22-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by AznGA
Why is our tranny so crappy?

I often find myself asking the same question.

mr_eh
01-22-2004, 09:23 AM
its not crappy for a grocery getter, just for performance :)

UNCTYPE-S
01-22-2004, 09:51 AM
dont get the autotrans interceptor to fix it. it will only make it worse.:huh:

just tell them what ur telling us, and have then test drive it so they can experience what u are too. most likely a solenoid problem i was having too.

AznGA
01-22-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by mr_eh
its not crappy for a grocery getter, just for performance :)
So our car is not meant to be fast.
:D

99StudlyGT
01-22-2004, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by UNCTYPE-S
dont get the autotrans interceptor to fix it. it will only make it worse.:huh:

just tell them what ur telling us, and have then test drive it so they can experience what u are too. most likely a solenoid problem i was having too. [/QUOTE
] When I got the auto trans interceptor, it made all the problems with bad shifting go away completley. I get nice shifts, always.. and mechanics have told me it should not cause any problems internally, so I don't see at all how it makes the problem worse..

UNCTYPE-S
01-22-2004, 12:15 PM
you will see over time. its not gonna happen overnight. hopefully u have a warranty though when something goes wrong. if you search around, theres plenty of threads on this topic that will show you how it will decrease the life of the tranny over time. just giving you a heads up, but i would do a little searching before going out and buying this to "solve" transmission problems.

kubiache
01-22-2004, 12:22 PM
just giving you a heads up, but i would do a little searching before going out and buying this to "solve" transmission problems.

Exactly. Installing that would only cure the symptom, not the problem (if there is one).

Blackrider
01-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Just some food for though Sloppy shifts are just as bad as hard ones.

UNCTYPE-S
01-22-2004, 12:42 PM
theres 2 people right there that can agree, trust me, if you search u will find a few hundred more. even if you go to the partsforyour.com website, the description of the autotrans doesnt say that it will cure slippage. if that was the case, people would be buying these instead of going to the mechanic to fix.

Blackrider
01-22-2004, 12:46 PM
It dosent cure major slipage thats for sure but It will get rid of the sloppy stock shifts with has a bit of slipage built in.

Have you driven a car with an Autotrans?

AznGA
01-22-2004, 03:33 PM
hmm if my tranny is the problem, wouldn't it also slip when it downshifts? Mine downshifts fine.......

UNCTYPE-S
01-22-2004, 10:23 PM
i never noticed mine slipping on downshifts, but i wouldnt cancel that out. dude nobody will ever know here, we can all assume or guess. take it to a pontiac dealer out in iowa somewhere and get it checked out.

Blackrider
01-22-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by UNCTYPE-S
i never noticed mine slipping on downshifts, but i wouldnt cancel that out. dude nobody will ever know here, we can all assume or guess. take it to a pontiac dealer out in iowa somewhere and get it checked out.

Werdum! Get it looked at if nothing is wrong no hard done,

99StudlyGT
01-23-2004, 09:40 PM
I'm not sure there is a diagoseable problem.. It seems to happen to alot of us though, and with my interceptor, I dont get any problems at all.. except for the occasional SVS light because of the computer noticing the increased line pressure, but that doesn't bother me. I am not a gearhead, so I cannot say one way or another, but I dont feel like replacing the transmission, or having mine torn apart just to have the same lame problem again, so I solved the equasion with an interceptor.. works for me.

AznGA
01-24-2004, 10:19 AM
Well when I drive my car when it's cold, it shifts fine, but when it gets warmed up, tranny sometimes "looks" for a gear. I am taking my car in on Monday. I just wanted to know what I can tell them so they can look at it.

Hexx
11-14-2004, 04:14 PM
Well when I drive my car when it's cold, it shifts fine, but when it gets warmed up, tranny sometimes "looks" for a gear. I am taking my car in on Monday. I just wanted to know what I can tell them so they can look at it.

Mine does this but only from 1st to 2nd gear. Shifts fine when cold under WOT but delayed when warmed under WOT...seems to shift fine when puttin around though..both warm and cold.

Ever find out what the issue is? I think mine is the 1-2 shift solinoid issue...gonna try solving it with the trans inter.....hence, I am using search right now and came accross this thread ;)

AznGA
11-14-2004, 05:10 PM
Well now my tranny has a problem when its not during WOT. The RPM just jumps up and down and it hunts for gear. I give it more gas and it shifts....could be something like bad tranny fluid. How hard is it to replace the solinoid?

Hexx
11-14-2004, 05:54 PM
Well now my tranny has a problem when its not during WOT. The RPM just jumps up and down and it hunts for gear. I give it more gas and it shifts....could be something like bad tranny fluid. How hard is it to replace the solinoid?

Well Ill give you my short story.

I got an alignment....got quickly talked into a tranny flush...i was at like 73K miles and figured I better do it now than later to avoid issues.

Ran good going home. Next morning it was a bit cold out, but the engine rev'd to 2500rpm before it actually started moving...not good.

Went back to the mechanic....low tranny fluid. The machine is only suppose to swap out the fluid but they think it took out more and didnt replace much. They put a bunch in and checked it, it was ok.

Ran good home...didnt put it under WOT.

Next morning it was warmer out....started to not shift right from one gear to another... went back got more fluid put in.

Driving home I noticed from 1-2 under WOT it didnt shift right. They put MORE fluid in and checked it...it was at the full line (or whatever is in that check valve thing that says there is enough).

I did some scanning here and found that TSB....the 1-2 shift issue, but also found another post about it costing like $800 to fix (im guessing this is the dealership price).

I just bought a trans intercept so I can increase line pressure. I will also order a B&M tranny cooler (im actually thinking of taking the one from my camaro and installing it in my ponti).

But yeah, not sure what caused my issue but I do believe its a lack of pressure. We will see once I get my items ;)

eric99gt
11-14-2004, 05:57 PM
jordie did you ever think it was the autotrans that caused your solenoid problem. I noticed my problems started happening after I removed the autotrans after having it on for awhile.

tejohnson
11-14-2004, 07:04 PM
How about: http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/a/bl_44_at.htm

Interesting overall article which covers "troubleshooting".

From some of the "Old School" folks I have spoken to, a slightly stiffer shift is better on the overall transaxle. The AutoTrans can help, but be sure not to crank the pressure too high. I noticed even more firm shifts once my car was running hotter.

Keep in mind though, that if the problem = "Main control Electronic Pressure Control (EPC) solenoid stuck or damaged", simply increasing the pressure will certainly not help ;)

For anyone whom is looking for an AutoTrans, I'd be happy to sell one in great condition for a very low price! (I'm going the DHP route)

http://groomlakelabs.com/grandamp/pictures/ebay/ebay_IMG_0721.jpg

I was gonna toss it out on eBay with a $75.00 reserve...

Hexx
11-14-2004, 07:16 PM
Well....I am not 100% sure if it is the solinoid. Like I said before, they had to add more fluid. So it may be a pressure issue or something....I dunno but will find out this week ;)

AznGA
11-14-2004, 09:01 PM
Well bad tranny fluid can cause shift problems. I am gonna get tranny flush and see what happens. As far as I know, it's $$ to replace a solinoid because it's inside the tranny I think.....

Hexx
11-14-2004, 09:19 PM
Well bad tranny fluid can cause shift problems. I am gonna get tranny flush and see what happens. As far as I know, it's $$ to replace a solinoid because it's inside the tranny I think.....

Yeah I talked to the garage (like a month ago) and the guy said he thinks its in the tranny too...not a cheap process to fix it either....damn labor.

Does anyone know how much the part(s) are and how hard it is to change? Would the tranny need to be dropped?

AznGA
11-14-2004, 09:27 PM
I would assume that you would just need to drop the pan....and drain the tranny fluid. So I am gonna get new tranny fluid, and if it still doesn't fix it, I would have to get the solinoid replaced AND get new tranny fluild AGAIN.

Hexx
11-14-2004, 10:40 PM
I would assume that you would just need to drop the pan....and drain the tranny fluid. So I am gonna get new tranny fluid, and if it still doesn't fix it, I would have to get the solinoid replaced AND get new tranny fluild AGAIN.

Oh, so the solinoid is located in the pan? Do you need to pull anything else like the valve body (right terminology?)?

If its just a matter of pulling the pan, ima do that myself....anyone know how much the solinoid is?