How come my calipers keep coming loose??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How come my calipers keep coming loose???

AaronGAGT
01-22-2004, 11:48 AM
Does anyone else have this problem?? I know one other guy did, but why does this happen? I put those damn things on pretty tight too.

First my pass. side bolt completely fell out--caliper fell crooked against the rotor and ate up my rim.. not to mention i was seriously as loud as a freight train.

Now its my driver side. Luckily, i noticed it early enough to tighten it back up.. but i have no idea why this happens.. does anyone else know?

Blackrider
01-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by AaronGAGT
Does anyone else have this problem?? I know one other guy did, but why does this happen? I put those damn things on pretty tight too.

First my pass. side bolt completely fell out--caliper fell crooked against the rotor and ate up my rim.. not to mention i was seriously as loud as a freight train.

Now its my driver side. Luckily, i noticed it early enough to tighten it back up.. but i have no idea why this happens.. does anyone else know?

could be bad bolts or something wrong with the threads in the caliper brackets.

silverbullet
01-22-2004, 12:49 PM
Try backing them all out and putting some Lock-Tite on them and running them in again.

I don't have the problem on mine, but that red stuff is pretty good for holding bolts in place.

Gimli
01-22-2004, 12:55 PM
You might've tightened them too hard and screwed up the threads.

Dr_Kyle
01-22-2004, 01:03 PM
I agree, sounds like they're stripped or close to it.

AaronGAGT
01-22-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Dr_Kyle
I agree, sounds like they're stripped or close to it.

Well i went to go check the price at the dealer. They want a sick $12 for each bolt?! I just walked out... time to use Lock tite. Mine is silver.. is that the same stufF?

FORTEEN3GT
01-22-2004, 10:03 PM
go look at my old threads....happened to me 3 times...2 times on the caliper guide pins and 1 time with the bracket bolts...

try using crap loads of lock tite...

FORTEEN3GT
01-22-2004, 10:05 PM
my bolts flew out while going 70 on the highway...so i paid 15 dollars a bolt 3 times!!! silver or red works...all the way around...makes brake pad jobs an arse!!!! good luck...take a look at my old threads seriously...i think our cars have a problem with this sort of thing!

silverbullet
01-22-2004, 10:27 PM
I thought the silver was typically an anti-seize compound that kept bolts or nuts from rusting fast and therefore easier to get off the next time (i could be wrong though)

I know the red stuff is for making them stick.

action
01-23-2004, 09:36 AM
Lock Tite is usually red or blue. SBulett is right about the silver, may make problem worse!!!

Ive never had this problem before though.

Molson
01-23-2004, 09:38 AM
Yes, silver is anti-seize.

Use Locktite BLUE, so you can get them off again. Red is near impossible to remove after its well set.