Brake Light [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brake Light

mightypan42
01-22-2004, 12:43 PM
I was told one of my brake lights was out, so I checked it. What I found was that when the brake is pressed, there are 2 bulbs that light up on the left light, and 1 bulb that lights up on the right light. Upon closer inspection, the right-hand bulb in the right taillight isn't coming on when it's supposed to.

I turned on the turn signal, headlights (so the tails would come on), and pressed the brakes again to find out if anything else wasn't working right. The bulb is only not working when the brake is pushed. It is working right when the head/tail lights are on, so it's not burned out.

I have not yet checked to see if any fuses are loose. I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas as to what my problem could be.

2000GA
01-22-2004, 12:46 PM
i believe they are dual filament bulbs, one of your filaments is burnt out. replace the bulb and you'll be good to go. if i remember its a 3157 or something like that take it out an bring it to place like napa and they will hook ya up.

mightypan42
01-22-2004, 01:02 PM
ok thanks.

edit: I'm guessing remove the 4 screws behind the light assembly, and the assembly slides out. Is that correct?

White 2K GT
11-10-2005, 02:43 PM
I have the exact same problem described above. brake light works with hl's on, not when brakes on. replaced bulb and still the same. I guess I'll check the fuses. Not really electrically wise........

freakydeaky
11-10-2005, 02:51 PM
I have the exact same problem described above. brake light works with hl's on, not when brakes on. replaced bulb and still the same. I guess I'll check the fuses. Not really electrically wise........

i had the exact same problem.... after going crazy checking different things, i could find out what was wrong... so i bought a new tail lamp socket from a j-yard for my driver's side, and that fixed it.... problem solved

mightypan42
11-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Mine was just the filament went out, so I'd suggest trying what freaky did.

02andahalfgt
11-10-2005, 05:28 PM
There should be a thread floating around here somewhere on this topic. It is a very common problem on Grand Ams. Almost every time I'm behind one on the road I see this.