S60 has to go =( [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : S60 has to go =(

vinniGT
01-22-2004, 07:03 PM
ever since ive turned 18 my parents have been taking away more and more of the expenses they helped me with. and now my dad decided i'd have to pay for the volvo if i wanna keep it. i cant afford it so here's the question. im lookin into a new car in the next month or so. the choices are...

sentra spec v, rsx type s, gti, jetta, wrx, srt-4, or anything else in that price range. and if used i want somethin reliable with low miles that will last me a long time.

so what do you all suggest? im kinda indecisive about them all. maybe if any of you have had experience with any of the vehicles or have a friend who has that helps too

Ant
01-22-2004, 07:06 PM
definatley NOT an RSX. just my opinion.
*had a ride in a Spec V....was pretty quick.
*SRT-4's are the new thing...
*If money isn't an option...WRX sti.....
*gti > jetta....
*stratus sxt coupe - not popular, or all that fast, but looks cool as hell, and is offered with a 6 speed mated to a 3.0L 6 IIRC....

grandamgt6969
01-22-2004, 07:27 PM
Man, that sucks big time. You might look into buying a Volvo s40. those are nice little cars and can be very quick. I have one and I love it.

vinniGT
01-22-2004, 07:29 PM
oh yeah i forgot about the s40 add that to the list

Roush GT
01-22-2004, 07:31 PM
out of those i'd have to say the rsx type s

grandamgt6969
01-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Do you want something that nobody has and is rare or do you just want to fit in with the other people who like to moddify their cars?

95-GT
01-22-2004, 07:50 PM
the srt-4 isnt all its hyped up to be. low 14's stock if your a good driver, average driver runs a 14.4-14.6 stock. They advertise under $21k, but go look...it will cost around the price of the grand am or mustang gt. and insurance on them is a bitch.

teambeechstreet
01-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by 95-GT
the srt-4 isnt all its hyped up to be. low 14's stock if your a good driver, average driver runs a 14.4-14.6 stock. They advertise under $21k, but go look...it will cost around the price of the grand am or mustang gt. and insurance on them is a bitch.

The SRT-4 is awesome, but its true that they are advertised for under $21K, but most dealers mark them up waaaaayyyy too much. Some of the people at www.srtforums.com got their SRT4s for under $20K, but I have no idea how. When I went lookin for cars a couple weeks ago, I found two SRT4s at two different car dealerships and they were both marked up $3k-$4k on MSRP.

The insurance on an SRT4 isnt really that much, though. Out of all the cars I looked at (Si, Spec-V, RSX-S, 1.8T Gti, WRX, SRT4) the SRT4 was the cheapest in insurance. My Si is $250 more a year in insurance than the SRT4. Guess it depends on your insurance co.

BTW, I'd get an RSX Type S if I were you. I couldnt get one because of the price ($24K compared to the $18K for my Si). Sucks about your S60. Its a nice ride! My parents have been cuttin back on helpin me with things too, so I'm feelin ya.

vinniGT
01-26-2004, 02:01 PM
how do you like your Si?

Mike3800
01-26-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by vinniGT
ever since ive turned 18 my parents have been taking away more and more of the expenses they helped me with. and now my dad decided i'd have to pay for the volvo if i wanna keep it. i cant afford it so here's the question. im lookin into a new car in the next month or so. the choices are...

sentra spec v, rsx type s, gti, jetta, wrx, srt-4, or anything else in that price range. and if used i want somethin reliable with low miles that will last me a long time.

so what do you all suggest? im kinda indecisive about them all. maybe if any of you have had experience with any of the vehicles or have a friend who has that helps too

My sugestion:

A brand new car is the WORST investiment you could ever make. Being that you are 18, I'd look for a low miles used car that fits your tastes. You can save a bundle and get something faster/better than what you could afford brand new.

Reliable? Last a long time? Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infinity in that order. Do not buy anything else besides these 3/6.

Ant
01-26-2004, 02:52 PM
a buddy of mine got a mid 90's Lexus SC 4something with the v-8 for ~ 8 grand.....look around...you can get some nice, fast sports cars that wouldn't kill your insurance...

teambeechstreet
01-26-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by vinniGT
how do you like your Si?

I'm really diggin the Si. It gets awesome gas mileage (10 gallons of 87 octane gets me just over 300 miles, about 320 miles if I use 91 octane). It has good power for when passing on the highway, or merging. I also like that it has a fairly cheap aftermarket, and it responds really well to mods (Apparently several Si owners have just exhaust, header, and CAI, and are running 14.8s-15.3s). Its a fun little car, but there are a lot of haters around that cap on it for being a hatchback.

Originally posted by Mike3800
My sugestion:

A brand new car is the WORST investiment you could ever make. Being that you are 18, I'd look for a low miles used car that fits your tastes. You can save a bundle and get something faster/better than what you could afford brand new.

I'd have to agree that getting a used car would be a better deal, since you dont have to make huge payments or anything, but as for me, my parents wouldnt let me get a used car, since we've had bad luck with previous used cars (paying for major repairs and the such). Good luck with whatever you choose!

dearim
01-26-2004, 03:48 PM
Seeing as how you like Volvos and (I'm assuming) don't mind automatics, here's two of them under $22,000 used, within reasonable driving distance of Albuquerque:

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/results.jtmpl?model=&body_style=&color=&max_mileage=30000&doors=&engine=&fuel=&drive=&transmission=&start_year=1997&end_year=2003&min_price=&max_price=22000&distance=100&certified=n&advanced=&advcd_on=y&make=VOLVO&address=87123&search_type=used&x=48&y=14

vinniGT
01-26-2004, 05:33 PM
thanks dearim.

when you purchase a used vehicle do you pay all the money upfront? installments? get a loan and pay the bank ?

dearim
01-28-2004, 10:56 AM
You usually get a loan and pay the bank, especially if it's a dealership selling the car. In a private sale, you can still get a loan, but it's a bit tougher to do... you might want to ask your bank about getting preapproved for a loan.

Oh, and if it were me... between those two, I'd get the S40 and save the extra money for mods.

Silver02EX
01-28-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by AntTheGreat
definatley NOT an RSX. just my opinion.
*had a ride in a Spec V....was pretty quick.
*SRT-4's are the new thing...
*If money isn't an option...WRX sti.....
*gti > jetta....
*stratus sxt coupe - not popular, or all that fast, but looks cool as hell, and is offered with a 6 speed mated to a 3.0L 6 IIRC....

If he wants something reliable and that will last a long time I think the RSX will be the best pick ;)