Idiot Screwed up my tranny! a little [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Idiot Screwed up my tranny! a little

FORTEEN3GT
01-22-2004, 08:56 PM
listen to this BS!!!

ok....sunday .....i did not want to completely flush my tranny...just put new fluid in it....not remove the torque converter and other fluid...
so i went to Kwik Kar Lube and Tune......the dumb technician drained my sealed tranny by the pan and filled it up on top at the cap......if you know anything about sealed trannies you can not fill it at the cap...you gotta go thru the coolant lines......

well i have been driving for 3 days with less than 1/2 tranny fluid.........

well today i got a free complete flush....if this tranny acts stupid again...i am gonna sue the pants off them and make them replace my "rebuilt 5 months ago" tranny!!!

this is crap..i was so ****ed...i should have been watching instead of taking a ride in the Kwik Kar owner's 1987 Carroll Shelby Dodge Omni GLHS turbo 2.2 that runs a stock 13.5!!!(it was bad arse!)

ND4SPDIII
01-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Do you know how many qts did he pour???

Brendon
01-22-2004, 10:37 PM
Why can't you go through the top cap? What else would it be there for?
Seems like if it needed to be added through the lines, the GM Service Manual would specify it.

Molson
01-23-2004, 06:20 AM
I use my top cap (5 speed, but same idea) and just open the top vent. Worked fine.

EBlend
01-23-2004, 07:12 AM
i did mine thought the top cap as well, i don't see what the problem is, if u don't do a complete flash, then u going to have oil left in your lines anyways, so I don't see what the big deal is

FORTEEN3GT
01-23-2004, 07:22 AM
9 quart capacity....

the top cap can only hold 2 quarts max...it will throw the rest out..

the torque convertor and coolant lines will hold 3 quarts
and the pan will hold the remaining 4....so i was short more than 4 quarts....look at your manual!

Brendon
01-23-2004, 05:52 PM
If you pour fluid in through the top cap, it just goes straight into the pan. I tested this with the bottom pan off.

1/2dolla
01-24-2004, 05:46 PM
Actually the poster is right. The cap is there but not the way to fill the tranny on the 4 speed auto's, 5 speed I have no experience with.

My friend is a GM Tech at my dealer, only guy that ever touches my GA. He explained that there is a small screw on the side that you must take out. And with the car in park and running you fill it to the bottom of the screw hole. There is no other way to know how much fluid is in the system unless it is running and comes to the bottom of the screw hole. I do not know what damage can be caused by an over/underfilled tranny so maybe you dont need to be anal and do it this way if you dont want to, but it is how your dealer service tech does it. He also states that it can be a PITA because you need a funnel with a long tube to get it in the screw hole or you will have a mess on your hands.

FORTEEN3GT
01-26-2004, 08:35 AM
or...to do it properly you can just flush and refill with 9 quarts of new fluid!!! go thru the coolant line on the left hand side of the radiator....unscrew the radiator line and whala....done!

or tap into your cooler like i did.

Gimli
01-26-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by 1/2dolla
Actually the poster is right. The cap is there but not the way to fill the tranny on the 4 speed auto's, 5 speed I have no experience with.

My friend is a GM Tech at my dealer, only guy that ever touches my GA. He explained that there is a small screw on the side that you must take out. And with the car in park and running you fill it to the bottom of the screw hole. There is no other way to know how much fluid is in the system unless it is running and comes to the bottom of the screw hole. I do not know what damage can be caused by an over/underfilled tranny so maybe you dont need to be anal and do it this way if you dont want to, but it is how your dealer service tech does it. He also states that it can be a PITA because you need a funnel with a long tube to get it in the screw hole or you will have a mess on your hands.

The cap? What cap? I thought the cap he was talking about is the filling bolt on the side of the tranny. There is no "cap" on the Grand Am with a dipstick to check the level, they're considered sealed transmissions.

BTW putting transmission oil in your coolant lines will not only result in an empty transmission but also in a ruined cooling system.

preed4962
01-26-2004, 12:33 PM
There is a cap on top of the transmission, no dipstick though. The coolant lines they are refering too are the trans lines that run through the radiator (a separate tank inside the raditor) that acts as a trans cooler.

FORTEEN3GT
01-27-2004, 07:15 AM
i taped into my transmission cooler lines...the high performance tranny cooler that was installed.

and no dipstick...just a red cap

Brendon
01-27-2004, 09:04 PM
I am familiar with the fluid level check bolt. However, I don't see it necessary to use it if you take out exactly the same amount of fluid that you put back in it (like me).
I still don't see why you can't add fluid through the top cap. WHY ELSE would it be there?

biggnome
01-28-2004, 08:11 PM
Hey who's got the crack pipe now? I want a hit!!!! Seriously though, The proper way to fill the 4T40E/4T45E is to pust the vehicle on level ground, start the vehicle, pull the fluid level check plug on the passenger side near the half shaft. Start filling the trans until fluid runs out of the fill plug. Make sure the trans is at operating temp. Thats it, that is all there is to properly filling this transmission.

Brendon
01-29-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by biggnome
Hey who's got the crack pipe now? I want a hit!!!! Seriously though, The proper way to fill the 4T40E/4T45E is to pust the vehicle on level ground, start the vehicle, pull the fluid level check plug on the passenger side near the half shaft. Start filling the trans until fluid runs out of the fill plug. Make sure the trans is at operating temp. Thats it, that is all there is to properly filling this transmission.

My thoughts exactly; and this is what the GM Service Manual says as well. If there was any special filling instructions, they would certainly include them. There aren't.
If you're not supposed to fill from the top cap, then what the hell is it good for? I rest my case.

Tweeter
01-29-2004, 06:53 AM
That is the way I did mine.

FORTEEN3GT
01-29-2004, 08:14 AM
go talk to a gm tech! i will say this one more time....

"IT IS A SEALED TRANNY".....how can you replace the tranny coolant line fluid as well as the fluid in the torque convertor by that stupid cap on the top!!??

that cap will not take enough fluid to replace what you drain out when you take off your pan on the bottom of the tranny!

enuf said.....now i do agree about the side bolt! it is for checking the pan fluid level....but that is only around 4-5 quarts of the total 9.5 quarts our tranny holds!

read up ....then post up!

FORTEEN3GT
01-29-2004, 08:15 AM
the first time your tranny runs low on fluid there will be a code in the pcm to log it....whether or not it throws a error code....

go pay 65.00 at the "steal-orship" and have it read!

biggnome
01-29-2004, 03:54 PM
Jeez, last time I checked I was a GM tech. Hang on a sec, I'll go check again.

Yup, still a GM Tech.

asepgrad98
01-29-2004, 04:51 PM
how can you replace the tranny coolant line fluid as well as the fluid in the torque convertor by that stupid cap on the top!!??

When you take the pan off THAT fluid does not come out. durrr. The GM service manual says to add fluid into the hole in tranny while running as posted above.

Caution
The engine must be running when the transmission fluid fill plug is removed, or excessive fluid loss will occur. Transmission fluid may be hot. Since the actual fluid level is unknown, stand clear when removing the fill plug. Have a container ready to capture any lost fluid. Do not turn the engine off with the fill plug removed, as you can be injured by hot transmission fluid being expelled out of the oil fill opening.

Remove the transmission plug.
If needed, add DEXRONŽ III automatic transmission fluid in increments of 0.5L until the fluid drains from the threaded plug hole.

Important
Before installing the fill plug apply GM P/N 12345382 to the thread of the line pressure plug.

Allow fluid to finish draining out of the plug hole. Install the plug and tighten to specified value.
Wipe any excess fluid from the transmission with a rag or shop towel.

[/thread]

FORTEEN3GT
01-30-2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by biggnome

again...you are talking about the level check plug on the side?!

not that stupid cap on the top....a sealed tranny is not able to be filled via the cap!

Brendon
01-30-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by FORTEEN3GT

not that stupid cap on the top....a sealed tranny is not able to be filled via the cap!

Then what is it there for?

FORTEEN3GT
01-30-2004, 10:43 AM
to add fluid! but not as the sole means of filling the transmission.....i only incorporates a percentage of the total 9.5 quarts.

i am positive that if you completely drain 9.5 quarts from the tranny then proceed to fill it back up via this "cap" it will not hold 9.5 quarts! it will over fill prior to that...the only way to replace the coolant line and torque convertor is to tap into the transmission coolant lines!

asepgrad98
01-30-2004, 02:16 PM
the reason GM says to check it when it is running is so the pump will fill the converter and lines. Check back to page 1 where i posted the GM manual procedure. it doesnt say anything about coolant lines.

biggnome
01-30-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by FORTEEN3GT
to add fluid! but not as the sole means of filling the transmission.....i only incorporates a percentage of the total 9.5 quarts.

i am positive that if you completely drain 9.5 quarts from the tranny then proceed to fill it back up via this "cap" it will not hold 9.5 quarts! it will over fill prior to that...the only way to replace the coolant line and torque convertor is to tap into the transmission coolant lines!

Ok, I'm sick of hereing this. Get you head out of your ass and listen. The red cap on the top of the transmission is the fill cap. You fill the trans, get it to operating temperature and pull the level plug on the side. The fluid should be to the bottom of the hole. If it isn't, fill in 1/2 quart increments till it starts to run out. The pickup for the fluid is in the bottom of the pan. The fluid is drawn through the filter, to the pump where it is sent to the manual valve in the case side cover which diverts the fluid to the proper passages for the different gears. The manual link also diverts the fluid to the torque converter and the cooler lines to allow the vehicle to move(torque multiplication via the torque converter) and cool the fluid because at around 220-230 degrees, the fluid starts to break down. I've probably rebuilt these transmissions more times than you've cahnged your engine oil.

Gimli
01-30-2004, 03:05 PM
Bah, don't waste your bandwidth guys, this guy is obviously right in all things and face it, he's got the fastest undocumented GA in Texas so there's no way he could be wrong...

Dr_Kyle
01-30-2004, 03:12 PM
werd.