dumb question on plugs/ wires [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : dumb question on plugs/ wires

AlphaSig312
01-22-2004, 10:42 PM
Aight, i know this is a dumba$$ question, but being as i have never done this before, i figured it ask. How do i check my plug and wires? Or a better way to put it is.... what do i look for with them, to see if they need replaced?

.......on a random side note, my change oil light is on, and cant be reset and my oil level is fine. I appreciate all the help with helping my dumba$$ out. Hell, if u lived in Pittsburgh and wanted to show me how to do it... id evern buy u case of beer.. lol... peace.

AaronGAGT
01-23-2004, 12:58 AM
Well for the wires... look for cracking, old wear and tear, etc.
For plugs... well the only way would be to take them all out and inspect. If there's tons of corrosion or anything, i'd replace them.

Why cant your change oil light be reset? You sure you're doing it right? Its in the manual btw.

killerhound
01-23-2004, 02:15 AM
Turn your ignition to "On", but don't crank the engine.
In the driver's side fuse panel, after the "Change oil" light is lit on the dash, press the red reset button. The Change opil light should start flashing. Press and hold the reset button. The light should go out.

Another way is to turn the igniton to "On" as stated above. Press the gas pedal three times, and you should hear a chime from your speakers, and the light should go out.

AlphaSig312
01-23-2004, 02:33 AM
thanks... yeah. i tried resetting it like it says to in the book, and it just stays lit... odd... but i can live with it... ill try that second way... when i go out to my car after work.. thanks.

71Z28RS
01-23-2004, 08:31 AM
As for the plugs and wires, they are supposed to be good for 100,000 miles. But, I would do them by 75,000-80,000 if they haven't been done yet. You can definitely check them for corrosion like AaronGAGT mentioned if you're unsure of how old they are. If you decide to do the plugs, I always replace the wires when changing the plugs. A plug and wire change can improve gas mileage and performance on a higher mileage car and is pretty inexpensive if you do it yourself. While you're at it, I would recommend changing the PCV valve and the air filter if you have never done it. Very easy to do. The fuel filter and O2 sensor would be next on my list too. Not as easy, but a good idea (especially the fuel filter).

action
01-23-2004, 08:42 AM
If your change oil light is on, it doesnt mean your oil is LOW, but needs to be CHANGED. Its probably black as tar now if it hasn't been changed, if you leave old oil in too long you run the risk of damaging your engine.

Ideally oil should be changed every 5k kms, but should be changed as per the light as a minimum.

tenspeed
01-23-2004, 10:17 AM
AlphaSig312, what engine do you have? If it's a four cylinder, you won't see any plugs or wires unless you remove the plate located on the top of the engine. How many miles do you have?

AaronGAGT
01-23-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by AlphaSig312
thanks... yeah. i tried resetting it like it says to in the book, and it just stays lit... odd... but i can live with it... ill try that second way... when i go out to my car after work.. thanks.

Are you sure you're clickin your key over twice?

AlphaSig312
01-25-2004, 09:38 PM
It is the 2.4L 4 cylinder.... and it has about 66000 miles on it. I think the last time i had the oil changed.. they just didnt reset the light... and i only have about 1000 miles on this oil so.. all i gotta say is... you gotta love Pontiac.

GRocks10
01-26-2004, 12:14 AM
I had the same problem awhile ago with the Oil change light coming on.. I went ahead and got me a new oil change and what do you know... the light went away. I think thats what you need to do.. get a new oil change.