RSA's REALLY sucks >> [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : RSA's REALLY sucks >>

BadGT471
01-24-2004, 12:55 PM
Alright guys, i'm sure this has been asked before, but I need some new tires. I have 24k on my 02 GAGT with the stock RSA tires. Well, I had to drive home about 40 miles yesterday in the snow, and these tires are AWFUL! I'm having trouble even getting off the line, and i'm keeping the RPMS very low, and ETS ON... WHen I try to turn (slowly), i slide all over... These tires are AWFUL! they seemed ok in rain, but snow it's a joke. This car honest to God isn't much better then My 98 Z28 was with snow tires... Does anyone know a better ALL SEASON tire? I dont want to spend the money for snow tires... My local tire shop recommended COOPER Cobra GTZ's... Anyone ever hear or use these? They better in rain/snow then the stock RSA's? I really need some help... Anyone else have probs w/ the RSA's in the snow???!

Thanks,
Jeff

Rogue9
01-24-2004, 01:02 PM
Up here we get BF Goodrich Touring T/A mud/snow all seasons.
(my car was so called winterized when I bought it in december 2000 so that may be why...) but I found they were good for the few days of snow when main roads actually need snow tires.
They weren't the best but they got me out of my side streets and onto the mains which were plowed.

I have Dunlop GT Qualifiers now and they're better for rain and dry weather, but I found this winter the traction's worse. Somehow going straight up my street my car spun 90+ degrees to the right, just infront of my house.

Personally I don't like ETS in rain or snow so I usually turn it off.
I live in an incline so sometimes I have to spin the tires to get going.

grandam-wpg
01-24-2004, 02:59 PM
I also have the BF Goodrich Touring T/A, I think they are standard up here.

AznGA
01-24-2004, 03:17 PM
Yep, the life of my RSA's are pretty much over after 32k miles. My tires would spin when my car downshifts from 2nd to 1st. I never thought our car had that much power. :)

Gramp's GT
01-24-2004, 03:27 PM
All seasons should only be used in a winter in areas like the West Coast, Texas or Floriada etc where the chance of snow is slim and if it does snow it is only the wet sloppy stuff that is actually mostly water and melts when it hits the ground. Any all season tire used in the winter should be outlawed, expecially if the tire has had a whole summer of use. Why wear out good summer tires by using an inadequate tread for winter.

If you life in an area where it snows that lets fact reality...winter comes ever year. Buy snow tires. If it saves you from being involved in an accident then you will more that save money from not having higher insurance rates, being without a car, or worse. Cheap Winter tires are much better than a good set of all seasons. If you can only afford cheaper winter tires the get them sipped and/or studded. You will be happy you did.

RedGT2004
01-24-2004, 03:40 PM
I would recommend Sumitomo Htr+
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR%2B&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=25WR6HTRPL&fromCompare1=yes
They perform pretty well in the snow as well as in the rain. Pretty cheap also.

silverbullet
01-24-2004, 04:37 PM
i also have the HTR+ by Sumitomo...they seem to be doing well here in PA during the snows...good traction in wet or snow...awesome on dry pavement

i think i only ended up paying $77 a piece (mount/balanced) at my local shop...i don't know what they are on tirerack and you probably have to pay a shipping charge... you should consider this tire though, I have no problems so far with them.

H.O. Driver
01-24-2004, 05:16 PM
Potenza RE950s, great IMHO. I haven't had a problem with these, but I also didn't have a problem getting around in the snow with my 50k mile RSA's. ;)

stanjk3
01-24-2004, 11:51 PM
I thought the stock RSAs were fairly good in the snow. The Pirellis I have now are great in the rain but really suck in the snow. Anything more than a light coating and they just spin.
Replacing them with Sumitomo HTR+.

Mike Jung
01-25-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Gramp's GT
...If you life in an area where it snows that lets fact reality...winter comes ever year. Buy snow tires. If it saves you from being involved in an accident then you will more that save money from not having higher insurance rates, being without a car, or worse...
Yup, just had a co-worker's girlfriend slide off of the road in her '01 Toyota Corolla on stock 'all-season' tires.

She spun-out on the DVP highway 2-weekends ago & just barely bushed the guard rail.
So the co-worker asked me what to do because her back-end spins out often.
She spun out like 3-times the previous winter.
So I told him to tell her to get some winter tires on steel wheels.
Since some places, were having winter tire clearance sales on now (like: the Michelin Artic Alpin winter tires).
Her brother said: What, you don't need snow tires!

Last Wednesday morning, she slide off the road (in Markham,ON) & through a field between some trees.
3-flat tires, both axles broken, transmission broken (& needs to be replaced), & at least 1-quarter panel to be replaced.
Estimated to repair at $8K Cdn (not sure yet, if it will totalled by the insurance company).

She was about to pay-off the car loan this spring.

Her car insurance (as quoted by her broker/agent) will increase by 10% (IMO, she is getting off easy) for the next 6-years...(this is her 1st accident [with a claim] on her car insurance.)

I use on my GA: Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 winter tires on black steel wheels.

stanjk3
01-25-2004, 10:19 AM
Two words:
SLOW DOWN!!!

Applies especially to idiots with SUVs that think just becasue they have 4WD/AWD they are invincible in any weather.

Since her car is so light, might wanna put a spare tire or something else with some weight in the trunk.

Mike Jung
01-25-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by stanjk3
Two words:
SLOW DOWN!!!

Applies especially to idiots with SUVs that think just becasue they have 4WD/AWD they are invincible in any weather.

Since her car is so light, might wanna put a spare tire or something else with some weight in the trunk.
Sometimes it doesn't help when it is -20C/-4F or below air temperature outside & roads are icy with snow.
Where road salt doesn't even melt because it is so cold outside.

I seen people drive into highway guardrails or spin-out, when everyone is just going like 10-20km/h [6-12mph]...when there is a slight curve in the road with a slight angle incline (like the left lane is higher than the right lane into a right curve) into that curve in the road.

The 'all-season' tires rubber compound does not like to stick to the road below -10C/14F (kinda like 'summer' tires below 7C/45F).

klc317
01-25-2004, 02:31 PM
I also have Potenza RE-950s and they are decent in snow. I only had a few experiences driving in snow with the Goodyears before I got rid of them and they didn't seem to do too bad, but they were still realitively new. If we had more than 3 or 4 good snows a year here in Cincinnati, I would consider some Blizzaks or something, but no more than I drive when its nasty out, I do fine with the all seasons. We're getting a good now/ice storm today, but the car is sitting in the garage and I have nowhere I need to go.

Jagey
01-25-2004, 04:50 PM
the one time i had to drive my RSA's in the snow, i spent a good 10 minutes trying to get up my driveway. It was the first day of snow and it was only about 1 inch of slush. It was so sad.

Baddest Gyal
02-01-2004, 02:08 AM
I have the stock Goodyear RSAs and this is my 2nd winter with them on my 03' GA GT.

I am actually quite happy with the performance I have gotten with these tires in the snow and slush especially lately when we have been getting whipped with snow for almost 2 weeks straight!

I am not sure what I am doing different then the rest of you but I honestly have no complaints about my tires!

That being said: once these tires are done I plan on getting Toyos (and new rims) for the summer and some Blizzaks for the winter (mounted on my ChromeTechs)!

Azrael
02-01-2004, 09:34 AM
I heard on the news a few days ago that the canadian government is considering making winter specific tires on all vehicles during winter mandatory. It's a good idea even if they can't really enforce it.

But yea...this winter has convinced me that I need some good winter tires anyways.

XMBlackGT1
02-01-2004, 09:48 AM
I think the RSA's are great! Ive had them on my car through several winters, and no problems at all. I have never had problems blazing through the snow with them. In fact, I plan on buying 4 more of them this spring to put on the chrome tecs that I have for my car.

Rba007
02-01-2004, 12:21 PM
I used to have BFG Touring Ta's as my winter tire, but this season I got a set of Goodyear GT's, and they are leaps and bounds ahead of the BFG's.

chill03sct
02-01-2004, 04:10 PM
i have a simple solution, drive a beater! :) i dont drive my ga when its snowing, or raining for that matter if i can help it. never seen road salt or snow and would like to keep it that way. my beaters a 92 buick century and i have cooper cobra's on it, they handle great and have a nice smooth ride on them.

papiogagt
02-01-2004, 04:43 PM
i have those cooper's on my honda, and i have to say, for the money i paid for them.. they are GREAT tires! My dad had them on his old honda for about 60,000 miles!! they lasted forever and performed really really well, i am probably going to be putting some on my chrometech's before next winter, because i agree, rsa's don't go anywhere!

XMBlackGT1
02-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by chill03sct
i have a simple solution, drive a beater! :) i dont drive my ga when its snowing, or raining for that matter if i can help it. never seen road salt or snow and would like to keep it that way. my beaters a 92 buick century and i have cooper cobra's on it, they handle great and have a nice smooth ride on them.

I agree- my orange grand am is parked for the winter- dont need to introduce it to salt. The RSA's on my beater grand am are decent in the snow though. When they wear out, if I still have the car, I may look into some other brand.

BadGT471
02-01-2004, 10:39 PM
I'm sooo glad someone finally mentioned these.. I actually was inquiring about new tires at the local tire shop.. The guy suggested some Cooper Cobra GTZ's. He said that they were a great tire, and would perform well in any condition. He too said that my RSA's sucked. They are horrible.. I slide all over, and I drive cautiously and slowly.. I hate driving my GA in the snow, it scares me! Anyways, I'm really looking into the Cooper Cobra's.... DO they perform MUCh better in the snow then the RSA's do?

Jeff

chill03sct
02-01-2004, 10:59 PM
im not sure, i have not driven my rsa's in the snow, but i have never... and i mean never had any problem with snow handling with my cobras on my beater. they have great durabilty and a decent looking tread pattern. i say get the cooper cobra's, ive gotten them (the gt's) for years on my beater and keep going back for more! i now have the gtz's that you are talking about and they are in the same league, i give them two thumbs up!!!

chris

tonmarchelli
02-02-2004, 10:32 AM
luckily for me i dont have to worry about salt, mostly gravel those stupid plows drop down but up here in northern idaho/eastern washington, you have to get studded snow tires or your screwed. and i dont see why people dont drive their car when there is snow out. they save it for their "beater" WTF? whats the point of having a nice car if you dont drive it? its puzzeling to me. ive been driving my 03 Grand am all winter (and here we get an average of 20+ feet of snow a year) and no problems, salt, rock chips, or slideoffs, all you have to do is have some common knowledge on how to drive in the snow. it isnt that difficult. JMO (just for reference i bough BF Goodrich Studded snow tires and its like im driving on dry pavement.

chill03sct
02-02-2004, 11:43 AM
i dont drive my car in the bad weather b/c i want to keep the paint and body free of the impurities that the road salts, rain and snow and give the finish. the point of having a nice car is just that! to keep it that way, and not driving it in those conditions helps keep the car itself in better running order. when the weather is nice out i drive it all the time, so the car does not get neglected... other wise its the beater, and that is "WHY" i drive a beater... but take that as you will everybody has there own opinion and i will not rag on someone who does drive there's year round, its just a matter of opinion.

chris

Confuzed420
02-02-2004, 04:25 PM
I wasn't to impressed with my RSA's either, so I just picked up a set of General ExelAim tires. So far I am pretty happy with them, they drive quite well in the snow, and no more low-speed tire noise, I have also noticed slightly better gas mileage.

XMBlackGT1
02-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by chill03sct
i dont drive my car in the bad weather b/c i want to keep the paint and body free of the impurities that the road salts, rain and snow and give the finish. the point of having a nice car is just that! to keep it that way, and not driving it in those conditions helps keep the car itself in better running order. when the weather is nice out i drive it all the time, so the car does not get neglected... other wise its the beater, and that is "WHY" i drive a beater... but take that as you will everybody has there own opinion and i will not rag on someone who does drive there's year round, its just a matter of opinion.

chris

I agree with ya. Had I been driving my orange sct this winter, It would have been rear-ended, needing a new back bumper, hit in the front by a pile of ice, needing a new front bumper. I would rather keep it nice and clean, and damage free!!!

tonmarchelli
02-02-2004, 10:27 PM
well i guess we have different opinions about this, growing up and learning to drive in a very snowy climate has made me a very good driver in the snow. that is why it does not matter to me if i drive my good car in the snow. and i guess the good thing is that they do not use salt up here, our city is too poor. but Chill03sct is right. there are conditions out there that can damage a car but i believe that they are no different than on any other day with now snow, you still have to deal with bad drivers and different road conditions. JMO

Blackgt1
02-03-2004, 12:05 AM
hey Gramps, you shoulda seen me ripping up to Whitewater last weekend on my baldass RSA's....snowed a bunch during the day too. trying to get up to 10th ave in Nelson that night was impossible. stupid BSE scare has me in the poorhouse, can't buy new tires right now. Rsa's are not the greatest, but they're ok. no matter the tire the grand am isn't exactly the ultimate winter machine anyways
*offtopic*

Confuzed420
02-03-2004, 07:20 AM
It doesn't matter what car I'm driving or what tires it has, I'll still do 65 on the highway in a blizzard. You get used to it up here.

BadGT471
02-03-2004, 07:59 AM
Welp, what I do is just take my mom to work now on the snowy days, leave the clean grand am parked in the garage, and take her 2003 Ford Escape Limited... (4x4 Auto, and 4x4 High). Lets just say, that thing is UNREAL in snow... Just plain awesome! I love my GAGT, but I really dread having to drive it in the snow... soo, I guess I can forget the new snow tires :)

Jeff

klc317
02-03-2004, 08:43 AM
BTW, for those of you looking at Coopers (which are great tires) check out Futura tires at Pep Boys. They are made for them by Cooper tire and are basicly the exact same thing a little cheaper.

GTmonyPit
06-10-2004, 09:28 PM
I have cooper cobras on my car right now and I cant say anything bad about them

MJSilver00
06-10-2004, 10:17 PM

If you dont drive your GA in the snow, whats that stuff youre parked on in your avatar? lol

Anyway, I got 60k miles out of my stock RSAs. They were ok until about 50k when they developed that annoying ass scraping noise (bout a million threads on that prob with the RSAs). They got pretty crappy in snow and rain recently but then again they were worn to the indicator bars. I replaced them with the new Bridgestone Potenza G009 tires and they have been awesome. Much quieter and the traction and handling are great (rides like a different car). Even under hard accelleration in the rain I almost never see my ETS come on.

feature_edit
06-17-2004, 12:35 AM
I finally replaced my RSAs at 40K AFTER our deep winter. The traction system was chewing through 6" of snow with BALD tires!! I switched over to a Kelly Charger Z (money was a factor, unfortunatley). But I've been really satisfied with these tires. We've had extraordinary amounts of rain (who hasn't??) this year and hydroplaning has been almost non-existant.

AznGA
06-17-2004, 12:56 AM
I am looking at Falkens when I have money.

White00GAGT
06-17-2004, 01:33 AM
I have the orginal RSA's on my car, with about 40k on them, plan on replacing them but anyway, mine spin all the time. If my RPM's are about 2k or above my tires spin bad. Probobly from their age but i've never had any real problem with them in the snow that i've noticed. I was also told that my RSA's have a defect in the sidewall that makes the rubbing noise i hear. I don't know if this would affect that though.